Adonia
Ranked #40 of 133 cruise ships

A large vessel of superior rating. Built in 1998 and refit in 2003. The Adonia carries a maximum of 2272 passengers in 1011 cabins, 410 of which have balconies and 193 have ocean views. 19 cabins are accessible to disabled passengers.

Cabins are medium sized and all include fridges, hairdryer, TV, bathrobe and plenty of storage space. Bathrooms feature showers although larger suites have private balcony, two sinks and a bathtub.

Entertainment features two showrooms, three pools, fitness centre and internet access.

Adonia Adonia is rated 4 out of 5 from 12 Reviews
67% of users recommend this cruise ship

Entertainment  stars
Staff 4 stars

Adonia Reviews

"First cruise"
Michelle Osborne cruised on January 2012
It was my first time cruising. I loved every minute and I thought the Adonia ship was brilliant, the cabin was a very good size, the entertainment was very good and the waiters in the restaurant where wonderful. I just had a fantastic time.

Plenty of good memories. The staff very friendly could not have wished for a better holiday it was a brilliant party for the New Year 2013.
Breakfast buffet there is so much to choose from and so is the lunch food was very good. There was always something going on while at sea. The early morning excises were excellent.

It was a relaxing holiday and very enjoyable.

Sue Bellwood cruised on November 2005
arrived home yesterday from cruising on the Oriana \'Canaries Highlights\' was the name of the cruise. All I can say is, if you are able bodied and agile, avoid this like the plaque!
We had 180 wheelchairs on board, besides the zimmer frames and walking sticks. The lounges mostly contained folk asleep, and the sun beds were snapped up early, so no chance of catching a tan. The entertainment was abysmal during the day. \'Art\' auctions was laughable, the quality was amazingly poor, and the salesman hyped the trashy pictures up so much, he could have sold coals to Newcastle! The beauty ...
advice was simply a means of trying to sell the products on board, not giving helpful unbiased advice. The products for sale in sthe shops, consisted of out of date tired fashionable garments, or printed Oriana wear (you\'d have to pay me to be seen in them)the prices were 50% off on a lot of clothing, but to be honest I wouldn\'t have had it given.
Had my hair done a copuple of times. Even that amazed me, saw someone having a streaking cap (thought foils were used always these days). There are the old fashioned hairdriers with ladies with nets and rollers under them. Fine if you\'ve a perm and want a wash and dry, but I wanted spikey with wax, had to use my own as they didn\'t have such stuff. But it was nice to have it washed instead of struggling in the cabin.
The cabin was okay, the steward was from Malaysia and she worked very hard. She changed the towels twice a day and the bed was changed regularly, but the comforter on the top was filthy, and the pillows smelled stale. Took my own but had to use their hard ones on the last night.
The food was okay, but don\'t expect gourmet, they are catering for a large number and getting the food out hot and tasty is beyond all trying, managed to gain 7 pounds, so really can\'t complain about standards there. The main problem was, if you wanted to dine in the conservatory, (buffet style) at main meal times, this was impossible there simply wasn\'t enough tables and seating. You could have gone outside to with your buffet food but it was too chilly for us. There was another little place to eat called alfresco, but that also had no spare tables at busy times.
Staff were excellent, the waiters and cleaning staff all seemed to be of Asian origin, which surprised me on an English ship, but they were polite and always courteous.
The night entertainemtn was good, if you could get in, we were second sitting for eating, and there was often a full house sign at the theatre when we tried to get in.
The trips were good, if you wanted to go on your own steam, there was often a good shuttle service, run by the various tourist departments of the countries we visited.
The last straw came yesterday morning, we were to vacate our cabins for 8.30a.m. but disembarking at 10a.m. meant we had to find a space for waiting our turn to disembark. The lounges were shut tight to us! I was furious, there was a lounge on offer for wheelchairs and disabled but for anyone else, it meant perching on a window sill or standing around. For one and a half hours, I felt this was unacceptable, and went ot ask for some lounges to be nmade available. Didn\'t get anywhere but managed to find a seat in a cinema, they\'d maybe forgot to shut us out of! They were full of instructions as to where we weren\'t allowed but nobody ushered us to a decent waiting area. I am not part of a cattle herd, nor do I appreciate being treated as such.
Be aware, that this ship is very very similar to a cross channel ferry crossing, do NOT expect luxury here. And if you fancy the buffet go and grab your lunchtime table at around 11.30a.m. If you fancy to sunbathe by the pool, on a hot day, get out there by 8 a.m. and you can relax in comfort, much later.... forget it.
I\'ll never cruise again! Good luck

Tour Operator: P & O Cruises

Robert Merrick cruised on March 2005
we did the homebound, Looking at the reveiws earlier about the menus in the cafe and buffet did not change and needed to be more varied. The menus changed every three days and were excellent for a light lunch as the evening meals were fab with lots of choice and very impressive. The ship was excellent its a shame it going over to princess. I am on the arcadia on the 10th april for a preveiw evening which will be excellent and i will be able to compare. It was our first cruise and i would do it for every holiday without fail. I would always go for outside with balcony as this gives you alot more private space but the great advantage with this was that thier was no KIDS.

Tour Operator: Going Places

Pritchard cruised on March 2005
1 reader found this review helpful

Having travelled on other P and O ships first time on the Adonia. Cabin cleaning was not up to scratch. Food in main restaurant tended to be on the cold side. As for the self service restaurant it was far too crowded and small. Some of the staff told us they could not wait to finnish when the Adonia leaves Southampton service later this month hence we found the general service not to be up to usual P and O standards.
Having said this cant wait to travel on the Arcadia

Tour Operator: Go cruise

ANNE + JAMES cruised on December 2004
GOOD POINTS: WE HAVE TRAVELLED WITH DIFFERENT CRUISE LINES AND WE FOUND THIS TO BE OF AN EXCELLENT STANDARD AND WOULD BOOK P & O AGAIN, WHICH SAYS IT ALL!

BAD POINTS: DID NOT SEE THE CAPTAIN THE WHOLE CRUISE AND EVERYONE COULD HAVE SMILED ALOT MORE!!! ABIT ENGLISH IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

BEST POINT: WE GOT ENGAGED SAILING OUT OF ST LUCIA AS THE SUN WAS SETTING! UHHHHH!

Tour Operator: P + O

G. Wheeldon cruised on December 2004
this was our first P&O cruise although we have cruised before. found the ship to be of a very high standard, very clean, excellent staff all very helpful and polite. food was out of this world, something for every one.
the resident entertainment was very good but the guest entertainers were poor.
the excursions once again excellent, real good value for money.
only downfall was that i had emailed a few times to try and get an upgrade on our cabin with no luck, only to be told by other passengers that they had been upgraded without requesting. as our trip was for a special occasion, this was disappointing.
would definately travel with p&o again, overall a fantastic holiday.

Chris & Gary cruised on December 2004
Very clean until last day when the public showers were used by hundreds & never cleaned. No towels etc.
Restaurant excellent, buffet only OK but more selection needed in Cafe Corniche, same choice daily.
Staff very friendly & helpful.
Entertainment geared towards OAP\'s. Xmas day eventing was like a Butlins holiday camp the crew entertained with a sing song of war tunes! Not enough variety, west end show and singers every night. Peter Goodright was the comedian need I say more. Very dissapointing P&O could do a lot better for the price. (I recommend Ocean Village instead of this cruise.)

Tour Operator: P & O Cruises

I &M MATHESON cruised on August 2004

Excellent well organised cruise in every way.
Would without a doubt sail again with this company.
Staff were superb with nothing but praise for them.
Wonderful holiday. Thank you,
I & M Matheson

R.E. LEES cruised on July 2004
Sailed on Adonia for the first time have been on sister ships, Dawn and Sun Princess. Adonia was a princess ship Sea Princess before she became Adonia.
I thought that the ship was clean and the evening entertainment were very good.
The only downfall we felt was the presentation of the Buffets, this left alot to be desired. Food tin the restaurant was good and hot but catered for the English tastes. Bread and Butter pudding on one occasion!!
Felt that some of the staff could have done better, ie our cabin stewardess, just about did her job.
Staff in the Corniche were excellant and so was the Bistro in the evenings, well recommend this.
Be aware that the sunbeds on sea days are very few and far between. Lots of people put towels on them and then disappeared for hours.
Overall a very good cruise and we sail again on her in November.

Tour Operator: P & O

Bruce Saul cruised on June 2004
Could not fault the cleanliness of the ship at all. Crew cleaning all the time. Food was excellent my wifes special diet was well catered for. Waiters and bar staff excellent, Steward did what he had to do very efficiently, entertainment crew stand offish. During the day the on board entertainment was not to my taste, but just my opinion. The evening entertainment was a lot better than last year. I would sail on this ship again, but will not get chance - booked for the Arcadia June 05 though

Tour Operator: Althams

Katey cruised on June 2004
We have travelled with P&O before and thought that a child free cruise might be nice. How wrong! Child free equates to a much older clintele - many of whom resented a couple of 30 yr olds on this cruise!! We were told to leave so many tables as fellow cruisers assumed we were crew! We had to explain our presence every day and, as we too had paid our fare, I found this attitude annoying and patronising. The evening activities ranged from playing whist to learning the cha cha cha...NO fun.
The ship was clean and the crew first rate. The main restaurant was up to usual P&O standards ...
but the cafe and the buffet were lacking.
My biggest problem is that P&O begin to disembark their passengers about 4 days prior to getting to Southampton..it is almost like getting booted off! It really ruined the holiday. I know they have to be organised but i think they could have more consideration.
Finally...although I know that the dressing up is fun and an integral part of cruising...do there have to b so many formal evenings? We had 5...who has that many dresses???!!!

Irene cruised on May 2004
First cruise ever, thought it was great, thoroughly enjoyed it. Staff , food and cleanliness were first class - Trip was a 17 night on the Ageian Mediterainian trip. You could join in plenty of activites if you wihsed or just do your own thing. did not realise you could kep a file for your photos and then decide at the end of the trip which ones you wished to purchase - will definately be going another cruise.