Ventura
Ranked #85 of 134 cruise ships

At 115,000 tons and some 290 meters long, Ventura is the largest superliner ever built for the British market. Her vast scale and acres of deck space have allowed her designers a remarkable opportunity in which to introduce new features, new additions and new experiences, which will appeal to all the family.
Ventura Ventura is rated 4 out of 5 from 186 Reviews
58% of users recommend this cruise ship

Entertainment  stars
Staff 4 stars

Ventura Reviews

"Poor entertainment"
David Bird cruised on December 2014
We have been on many cruises with a number of companies, this was our first, and last with P&O.

We have found cruise entertainment to be generally of high quality but this is clearly where P&O cut costs. Very little entertainment during the day and the quality and choice in the evening was not much better. On one evening the entertainment was a film, yes that's correct, a film. On another day it was a Dusty Springfield tribute who later in the week returned as a Lulu tribute. She bore no comparison to either. To set a comparison the entertainment was at a level that would expect from a local town talent show.

"Wonderful"
Patricia Graham cruised on December 2014
My friend and I both agree that this was a wonderful holiday. It was our first time cruising. The ship was first class as was the service, food and entertainment. The Carribean was lovely with so much to see and do. It was fantastic that suitcases were taken from the airport and we did not see them until they arrived on the ship - outside our cabin door and the same on the journey back home.

I have been raving about the holiday since getting back home and have told friends and family and whoever else would listen that cruising is the life. Thank you P&O.

"Standards Have Plumetted"
Stephen Cassidy cruised on December 2014
1 reader found this review helpful

There is absolutely nothing special about a P&O Cruise anymore. The standards have plummeted to a low that it is unacceptable in view of the claims made in P&O Cruise Brochures. For a company that sells its cruises on The Fine Dining experience. Silver Service has gone, but they won't tell you. Wine waiters have an impossible work load, not leaving their previous duty until they are already required for Dinner Service and then too many tables. It's blatantly obvious then that most tables are not even going to get their wine order taken until after they have started eating and most will not get ...
their wine until they have started main course. This is far from Fine Dining and nothing like the claims made in the brochure about attention to detail to the whole food and beverage experience.

Dress Codes are now ignored with people without shirts regularly ignored by Crew in Self Service Restaurants. Has anybody considered that a dress code requiring a shirt in a restaurant might actually have something to do with hygiene? I don't suppose for a minute that chefs are excused whites in the kitchens and are therefore allowed to drip sweat over food. Why then should a customer be allowed to visit the buffets without a shirt?

Claims in the brochure about Ventura having places where you can find peace and relaxation are simply untrue unless you retreat to your cabin. Firstly Agadoo type music is played all day on the top decks at such a high volume that it is difficult to talk and impossible to ignore. Secondly, you are hounded by up selling as soon as you sit down. Previously, the restaurants that require a supplement to be paid, were only sold by crew outside of these restaurants, now crew are patrolling the decks all day approaching customers that are attempting to relax quietly. On top of this drinks stewards are noticeably more pro-active sometimes approaching you before your empty glass even touches the table, and photographers approaching you three times as you leave the ship in port, within hearing of when you politely refused their colleague. Yes, you could simply say no but we go on holiday to relax and the brochure does claim that this is possible.

This is just a small part of a lengthy complaint that has been sent to P&O.

Recommended: No

"Don't believe the moaners"
Keith Bunn cruised on December 2013
16 readers found this review helpful

We have just returned from our 1st cruise and I must admit when I read some of the reviews I wondered what we were letting ourselves in for. Well, as it turns out, we had a wonderful time and met people from all walks of life young, middle aged and old, no snobs ( perhaps those that complain of them bear their own complexes).

We booked quite late and could only get an inside cabin which was very nice, plenty of room, clean and comfortable and this is what we would chose next time as it was only a base for sleeping and showering.

The food was good and plentiful and ...
always a good variety, catering for most dietary needs.

The entertainers work tirelessly as do all the staff and we can only commend the politeness of all the P&O staff we met. They are a credit to the Captain and his Senior Crew.

The transfers, embarkation and disembarkation were smooth. We flew on time in a good aircraft all making a perfect holiday experience.

So the moaners who say there is not enough food. How much can you eat?. Those that say the staff are miserable - treat them like equal human beings - it pays dividends.

Finally those that say it is like Butlins but on sea have never been to Butlins and anyway millions of people for many years have enjoyed that type of holiday so don't knock what you have no knowledge of.

In closing I would say that my wife tried for years to get me to try a cruise and based on this experience we have missed out, but not any more as this is the first of many. So our thanks go to the Crew and Staff of the Ventura for a really memorable time.

"Great cruise for first timers"
Ian Chapman cruised on December 2013
My wife, daughter (11) and I decided to treat ourselves to an Italian cruise aboard the Ventura in August 2014. It was our first cruise so we were a little naive to some things but thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The good points;
The food was mostly excellent! We dined in the Cinnamon restaurant in the evening as we had excellent service from the friendly and efficient waiters and wine steward. We used the upper deck restaurants for breakfast and lunch, so we could stay dressed casual. The food here was very nice, but not as good as the formal restaurants. We are early risers so we did ...
not find breakfast and lunch much of a busy hassle. The biggest problem at times was finding an empty table, once you had chosen what to eat. Juice is only served at breakfast, chilled water during the rest of the time. Of course there is coffee (very nice) and tea of all flavours served during all hours. I found all savoury dishes tasty, but some of the sweets were a little lack lustre.

We are not wealthy, but found the prices of wine, beer etc, reasonable to that what you would pay at home. Pint of beer £3.50 average, bottle of wine with evening meal £18-£20 and cocktails £5.50. We found the entertainment very good, especially the ventriloquist who was brilliant. All of the waiters around the pool and in the restaurants worked very hard and always there to get you a drink or take away dirty plates and glasses.

I found all of the guests, from all walks of life to be very friendly and respectable. We try our best not to be judgemental with other people and as such we found everyone friendly and easy to talk to. I just do not understand some people who deem to judge other people because of their appearance and who just seem to nit-pick at every minor point. If you want friendly and respectable company to accompany a family friendly cruise, the Ventura is for you. If you prefer a ship that is more geared to formality and peace and quiet, then maybe choose a smaller and a more expensive ship.

We visited Sorrento on the trip to the farm (we were the last to get on the trip). Well worth it and Sorrento is so picturesque. We did not pay for the excursion to Dubrovnik, just paid for the shuttle bus to get us there. It's a small town you can explore easily yourself. This is well worth visiting and for Game of Thrones fans, there is a guided tour showing you the locations of some scenes. Finally, Venice is a must and I was very pleased to manage to get places for this visit that included a ride on a gondola. However, it would have been much cheaper to just pay for the shuttle boat to get you onto land and make your own way around. As we entered St. Marks square, the bells began to ring and it was just magical. This is a memory that will stay with us forever.

Tips for a better cruise;
We had to wait a few hours for our luggage to be delivered to our cabin once on board, about 2-3 hours. Our cabin steward helped and brought them to us within half of an hour of asking him to find them. We will remember to pack our bathing costumes in our hand luggage next time, along with a few toiletries.

We struggled to get onto some of the excursions as we had not pre-booked online before the holiday. Florence and Pizza were completely sold out. We could have tried to make our own way, but Florence was over an hour away and we were a little nervous of getting back in time for the ships departure so we stayed on board. However, it was very relaxing during the day and plenty of room to relax and explore the ship.

We had an internal cabin, which was adequate with just enough room for the 3 of us. However I think we would get a bigger room for a 2 week cruise. We actually saved approx £500 in one week booking an internal cabin instead of getting a balcony and a bigger room, which we were pleased with. If you are booking a balcony room, ensure that it is not overlooked and a higher deck would give you better views. We were on the Riviera deck near the top of the ship, which was great as we were near the pool decks. Our cabin steward Angelo was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

Our extras including drinks, photos and excursions etc. came to approx £650 in one week. We only had 1 bottle of wine with our evening meal so we didn't bother with the drinks package and we had the benefit of ordering what wine, spirits or beer etc we wanted without sticking to a pre-ordered package. I think when you buy a package deal with wine, drinks ice cream etc it just makes to drink more.

Finally during the days at sea the pool area is naturally very congested. Get up early to get a bed near the pool or you will struggle. Yes the beds are placed close together, but they are comfortable and big enough for you not to be touching your neighbour. We slept in one day and found no beds by the pool, but an older couple near us gave up some of their beds that they were saving for the kids, which I thought was a very kind gesture. People do place towels on the beds, but the ships rules state that you can remove them if you wish.

I think my wife and I would like to cruise again as it is our silver wedding anniversary next year.

"Not up to our normal standard "
Christine Finch cruised on December 2013
We love cruises and have been on lots with different companies we went on Auzra last year so thought we would try Ventura this year. We soon got to our cabin, we had a balcony which was a bit small as we had three in our room. Staff morale was very low and no one had time to talk to you or joke with you. Other ships we have been on they always ask about your day but nothing here.

Your food was almost thrown at you. On the Gala night there was nothing on the menu I liked, on the first night we arrived ...
we were told left hand side of menu was the same each night and the right hand side changes each night, but they forgot to say apart from Gala night. I told the waiter there was nothing I liked and could they cook me something easy from the kitchen to which I was told no. I asked to speak to the restaurant manger and again was told no we cannot cook you anything different, you can either use room service or go in self service restaurant. The problem was we were all dressed up in our posh frocks and suits, why would we want to sit around a plastic table with a tray and I was on two crutches so how would I get my food. I had nothing to eat that night. Also having paid a lot of money for the holiday why would I want to pay for room service and sit in my room and eat alone.

One night I saw cockroaches running around, another night half way thought eating my meal I moved my steak to find a human hair under it, I told the waiter and he never even offered me another meal, so that was now two nights I went hungry. Shall I go back with P&O, I don't think so, will I recommend them..I don't think so.

It is up to you make your own mind up but this has put me off using their company again as I felt they just did not care about my situation one bit. I wrote to P&O and the letter came back with it is not unusual to find a hair in your food it could happen anywhere, and it is right we do not offer alternative food on the Gala night. This is why I wrote this on here just to let you know before you go what you can expect.

"Fjords cruise May 2103"
Stan Simmons cruised on January 2013
6 readers found this review helpful

Just thought I would update P&O Ventura. Just got back from 7 day Fjords cruise on Ventura one word, Brilliant! Sailed from Southampton to Bergen, what a lovely place, the harbour area was very nice made better with a free transfer from ship to town.

Next was Olden docked within easy walking distance of shops took the road train for a 1hr tour of the area at a cost of about £12 each good value we thought. Our next stop was Olden, not much to say about this as it was raining so it was just a quick walk around the town and back to the ship for a dip ...
in the covered pool for our granddaughter.

Stavanger was our last port of call docked right in the centre of town if you can believe that. We didn't do any paid trips on this cruise as it was just to be a relaxing break. The ship is excellent, plenty to do for everyone there was 4 adults and one 8year old girl, she was thoroughly entertained by the kids club for the whole week.

The food and cleanliness throughout the ship was 1st class, we ate at the saffron restaurant for our evening meal and it was truly 5*. The beer prices we feel were quite good £3 for a pint of John Smiths the only thing we thought was a bit expensive was wine at 4.75 a glass. Overall though it was a very good value break.

"holiday club"
miss shorey cruised on January 2013
2 readers found this review helpful

Cleanliness of the ship was very good, the food was average. My disappointment was the children's club, well more the lack of it, they didn't have enough staff, booked the cruise with a promise that there was always a children's club. not so I have since complained but P&O wasn't interested so beware if you think they have a children's club every day.

The staff never smiled, on previous cruises I have found the staff very friendly not on this ship.

Royal Caribbean are far better for cruises, the staff, clubs and entertainment.

P&O isn't for me.

Recommended: No

"so far up their own aft"
g connolly cruised on January 2013
2 readers found this review helpful

Just spent 11 nights on Centura to the Canary Islands, great time had by wife and I but beware of black tie nights if you are not willing to dress as basil fawlty you will be turned away from some of the venues. Staff very helpful except white shirt brigade unless you are from the suites tours not up to cost best to take islands own tour buses ship looking dated in places good ship for the I'm better than you brigade

"fantastic"
Kevin Fletcher cruised on January 2013
3 readers found this review helpful

Just returned from a two week cruise in the Caribbean flying into Barbados visiting 9 islands. Had a fantastic time a great ship with excellent crew .Ate in the cinnamon restaurant mostly, really well looked after fantastic choice and standard of food. If you’re lucky enough to get our waiters sentil and harri they are both really superb and nice people get to know them they work very hard and deserve all the credit they get. Mohammed on the dinner reception is very professional and pleasant. The theatre and headliner company where very good but longer shows would have been nice. I would say my wife and I had the holiday of a lifetime, anyone who moans about this ship needs lots of Prozac because its superb.

"Lovely Ship"
Jill Welch cruised on January 2013
2 readers found this review helpful

My husband and I spent our honeymoon on the Ventura 2 weeks on the from the 23rd November 2013 we were told we would be entitled to a free upgrade if cabins were available, on our visit to reception on the Ventura we were told that we weren’t even though we were told the ship was a 1,000 people down. The receptionists were rude and unhelpful as honeymooners we were very disappointed with our treatment and we will not be booking our next cruise with P&O.

"First cruise"
Mrs J Pinkney cruised on January 2013
1 reader found this review helpful

This was our first cruise and I wasn’t disappointed. The only fault i had was I paid £1899.00 and i had other passengers saying they only paid £999.00 which was unfair as i had booked and paid over a year earlier this was for a balcony room. I will not be booking early in future it doesn’t pay too. P & O need to reward early bookings not late bookings. We are now looking to book a cruise for 2015 for our silver wedding Anniversary but I’ll be waiting for the best price.

Kevin McDermott cruised on November 2011
2 readers found this review helpful

Flight late leaving Gatwick, arrived an hour late in Barbados. Had to wait 20 minutes with the doors open as there were no buses. Arrived at the Ventura and waited 45 minutes in the bus outside the embarcation shed. Waited inline another 30 minutes being processed (27 degrees. On board, key card did not work so spent another 45 minutes waiting in line with hundreds of others with the same problem. Arrived in mini suite, which was very nice, clean and bright with a good balcony. Unfortunately the balcony was overlooked by most of the ship, and after sailawy parties there were a nuber of cocktail sticks etc on the ...
floor of the balcony.

Food average to good, entertainment mostly good but one comedian was terrible and vitually cleared the Havana bar within 20 minutes.

Sun decks and sun beds were a complete joke, by 08:30 40-50% were reserved. The others occupied. P&O nstaff dissinterested.
Dress code, not enforced in public areas, standards very poor

Butlins meets motorway services meets Benidorm. Never agian on this ship.......

Lorrayne Hill cruised on June 2011
1 reader found this review helpful

My daughter and her fiance got married on board The Ventura on 25th July and a party of 38 of us set sail from Southampton on 23rd July at 16:30. After an evening\'s entertainment we retired to our cabins and woke to find Le Havre in a shade of dull grey. Most of us decided that as we had only been on the ship for a few hours and had paid a lot of money to be on board that there was no point in getting straight back off it again. The port didn\'t look particularly inviting, to say the least and one wonders why they bother stopping there at ...
all? Probably the only reason is that Southampton is twinned with Le Havre and it is therefore an obligation. Total waste of time. La Rochelle, again not much to report. Bilbao was ok but a bit overcast and drizzly. We did get off and walk around the shops. Everyone agreed that La Coruna was a very pretty port and an even more pretty town and was well liked by our party.

The wedding preparations were well co-ordinated and the salon made sure that myself, my daughter and her Matron of Honour all looked our best.

The Captain conducted a lovely service and afterwards we all were escorted down to our reception room. We took our seats and waited for the happy couple to enter, which they did to enthusiastic applause only to then be taken by the photographer for photographs around the ship. So we all had our food (which was lovely) and waited and waited. By the time they came back to their reception, the guests had all eaten!! That was the only downer on the day.

The entertainment was excellent. The comedian Josh Daniels was particularly hilarious and we all enjoyed him immensely. He made the evening reception very enjoyable.

We all found the staff very polite and helpful. Our cabin steward Nevis was a really lovely man and he gave me a kiss on both cheeks when we said goodbye. Very sweet. He kept our cabin looking lovely all week.

The sailaway party from La Coruna was especially good. It was like last night of the Proms with our Union Jacks and songs from all countries of the UK.

When it was time to disembark there wasn\'t a dry eye amongst us. We were all so sad that our cruise had come to an end. A week was definitely not long enough and I will definitely be booking up at some time in the future (God willing) for 12 days at least.

I had read quite a lot of worrying reviews before we cruised on Ventura but I am happy to report that it was a fabulous holiday. Can\'t wait to go again but on a cruise that offers better ports of call.

Tour Operator: P & O

Angel cruised on May 2011
3 readers found this review helpful

Food of poor quality and portions in the cinnamon restaurant were miniscule.

Tour guide so boring in Malaga that several people tried to escape.

Tour of Venice cancelled even though we had already been issued with tickets and our on board account charged. Was this due to some unforseeable disaster -no, not enough places had been sold. Pity they didn\'t have the decency to tell us earlier so we could book an alternative.

Paid £65 for internet connection - down for several days due to problem with satellite and even before that had had huge problems connecting. Staff member in cybercafe rude and unhelpful. Had a fight to get our money back ...
and even after it was agreed we had to chase it up. Took about 5 days in total.

RECEPTION STAFF WERE INCREDIBLY RUDE as were the Explorers (resort information)staff.

Very upset about a number of issues. Reception said they lost our first formal complaint (though policy is to log it immediately)and we were told after 48 hrs that our second formal complaint didn\'t require an answer!

Have written to head office recorded delivery receipt dated 28 June - as of 6 July no reply.

Tour Operator: P&O Direct

M. Carroll cruised on March 2011
4 readers found this review helpful

We travelled on the Ventura for our first cruise (Belgium & France) and all I can say is it was Excellent.
I read a lot of these reviews before we sailed and was starting to worry as to how we as a family would find it...Well Embarkation/Disembarkation was so very well organised and not one hiccup. We had a Balcony room is was kept so spotles & clean so no faults there, we had the freedom dining and it was great food with so many choices the Cinnamon restuarant was excellent, great kids clubs for my 2 children they were occupied day and night they loved the bungee/trampolene and pools to themselves every evening as the 3100 passengers are so spread out you never meet the same person twice, so there you have it....Definately not \'\'Butlins at Sea\'\'

Tour Operator: Virgin

Jan cruised on February 2011
2 readers found this review helpful

This was our 10th cruise and the second with P&O.

P&O have the embarkation process organised to perfection. Check cases in at Manchester and forget about them until they are delivered to your cabin approx 2 hours after you board the ship. Customs in Barbados smooth and easy.

This was the first time that we have travelled on a large ship and found that it was too big for our taste as certain aspects could not cope with the numbers e.g. there were several times when we had to wait for cups at the tea station and in 14 days there was never a tea-spoon available at these stations.

The food and restaurant ...
choice in the evenings was brilliant , however the eating experience at lunch time was sometimes stressful. This was due to limited opening times of main restaurant ( waiter service ) making the vast majority of customers having to go to self-service which could not cope with the numbers. Long lines for food and no-where to sit when you got your food.

I would recommend people plan their day around the breakfast/lunch opening hours of the main restaurant or order cabin service and eat on balcony for sea days !!

The entertainment staff worked hard and there were some brilliant comedians/singers/musicians/cirque soleil /quizes/party\'s . However the Ventura Theatre group was weak . Without the circus trapeze and strong men these shows would have been dire. There was no story to what was billed as a show. The dancers were good but the routine was almost the same in each of the shows. The lead male singer was weak and one of the female singers was off key and beat .

The weather was fabulous.
We always found a sunbed but found some very selfish people who reserved beds for hours without using them. The staff did remove belongings on one of the sea days .

The islands were varied and all good in different ways.

Drink prices same as pubs at home and good variety including diet sodas. Well done P&O !!!

Mr& Mrs Hill cruised on February 2011
1 reader found this review helpful

We have just returned from our fifth cruise with P&O. Our first time on the Ventura. Although this is a big ship we absolutely loved it. The only criticism we had was:
The Waterside and Beachfront restaurants at lunchtime were a nightmare. Nowhere to sit once you had collected your food and the terrible overbearing music that was played continuously. Avoid at all costs if possible. Other than that We would highly recommend this ship.
We had a balcony stateroom which was spacious and immaculately clean.The cabin boys do really work hard.
We had a fantastic meal in the Whiteroom. well worth a visit, but our meals in the Bay tree restaurant ...
were also excellent.Thanks to Lalit, Mangesh and Sudhir for wonderful service.
We didn\'t go to any of the shows but did see the fantastic Andy Ford and Martin Daniels. Two great comedians well worth seeing. The Caribbean Islands are always worth a visit especially during the English winter and in my opinion there is no better way to see them than aboard the Ventura. We are off to the Med in June on the Oriana. Hope we enjoy it as much.

peter haigh cruised on January 2011
We arrived at Manchester airport early, booking in was vgery smooth but the flight was delayed by 8.5 hours. No information was available just quote more information at 10:30 then quote more information at 12:30. Now delays happen but why did P&O staff at the airport gather passengers together to explain the situation. When we finally took off the flight was awful, despite paying a premium of £150.00 the seat was narrow and uncomfortable, definately I do not recomment Thomas Cook unless you get in the premium cabin up front.

The arrival in Barbados was smooth and we joined the ship without problems but no one shows you to your cabin ...
which on a ship as big as Ventura is very poor.

The cabin we had was large and comfortable with a large balcony, but it was a mini-suite so it should be.

The food was generally very good but the staff in Waterside were the most miserable bunch of people I have ever met, one exception was a waiter calles Minoj Kakde who was the only one with a pleasant smile and time foe everyone, he incidentally was the only waiter who wiped the tables down in the month we were on board. Now cleanliness of the crockery, every single day I found either a cup or plate which were dirty the staff explained it was the dishwasher which caused this but I cannot accept this.

The entertainment was dire apart from Tom o\'Conner and the captain, forget the rest of the sorry bunch.

There are lots more I could write about like the unpainted shuffleboard courtbut i think I will leave these for the letter I am sending to the MD of P&O.

Would I sail with Ventura again? definately not! I have sailed on about 20 cruises and this I think was the worst of the bunch

Tour Operator: bolsover cruise club

Sam Hamblett cruised on January 2011
Travelled on the ventura jan 14th 2011 to barbados around the caribbean islands.
I shant be going into to much detail as we went on this cruise last year,shall we call it an update.
We flew from leeds and then onto manchester to top up with fuel,flew direct back to leeds on the way home.barbados\'s runway is long enough.
Last year we found the staff a little bit shall we say lacking in humour,this year a massive improvement all round from the bars,restaurant to the waiters,you could have a good crack with them.well done P&O.
The ship in general was spotless,food very good,beware, wear gloves on a morning if you want porridge for breakfast,hot!!!.
Drink ...
prices were good on ship,pub prices.strong bow £2-50 pint as an example.
Sunbeds ooooh! seadays get up early if you want a prime spot 7-15am. none seadays no problem.
Entertainment,we only visited the arena 3 times it was ok.some passengers comments were a little more critical,we dont go away for the entertainment if it wasnt so good we moved on it did not spoil our day,speaking to some people you would have thought it was life or death.
We liked the bars on ventura,the metropolis bar was nice again,drinks before evening meal.Ramblas was relaxing.The tamarind lounge was enjoyable but the Havana Bar with the big post in the viewing area was a no no.
We enjoyed the islands except the people in ocho rios,jamaica,is it me or are they very pushy in jamaica ? in comparison to the rest of the islands.
Grand Turk,turn left when you walk out along the front right down to a cream coloured building before this building there is a small road which leads you to a marina,nice walk.
Overall we had a great time on and off ventura.our problem was our sunbed was to near the breakers bar on the lido deck,20 paces.in the 80\'s it becomes very thirsty work sunbathing.would we travell with P&O again yes we will be in sept. on the oceana.
We have now been on the ventura twice and have enjoyed the experience on both occasions.

Cheers.