Thomson Celebration

4 of 8 Thomson Cruises ships

A medium sized vessel of standard rating. Built in 1984 and refit in 2005. Carries a maximum of 1370 passengers in 625 cabins, 416 of which have ocean views. 4 cabins are accessible to disabled passengers.

All cabins are well equipped and the deluxe cabins have a bathtub.

There are two show lounges featuring a weekly guest artist. Other features include a cinema, library and casino.

193 Reviews

• Good

• Entertainment
  • Food
Mandy Hardcastle
Fabulous
2 years 2 months ago
I Wasn't expecting much after finding few positive reviews, and having travelled on bigger more modern ships. Expected to develop infections from anything and anyone.

The outside cabin was a bit pokey, the bed was not the most comfortable. Doubles are smaller than adjoining two singles.

The entertainment (watch out for the up and coming Ben Moss) was out of this world. I didn't expect such calibre from entertainments team.

All the staff were phenomenal. The ship has been modernised and the standards are high.

The food was amazing.

Days at sea were awful due to sunbeds being packed like sardines. However most days we woke at port, and left at night.

I would book again without hesitation.
Joyce Johnson
Not very happy
2 years 2 months ago
It was a disaster from the start. We boarded the ship in Barbados, myself and my friend in her seventies, we had to board by the gang plank and climb up five flights of stairs after a 9 hour flight as all the lifts were being used for luggage. After being in a queue for nearly an hour we were checked in and given the key to our cabin. We arrived at the cabin and the cabin boy told us we could not go into the cabin as someone else was using it, we were told to go to reception. We waited in reception again in a queue. After another 30 mins were told to wait till another cabin could be found. After another wait we were told they had found us a cabin so off we went with the girl from reception. No wonder the cabin was free the noise in there was frightening, I could hear it before I got there, the girl from reception said she could not hear anything , it was the last cabin nearest to the back of the ship all I can say she must have been deaf. We stood in that cabin for about 5mins I could not believe that after having this holiday booked for 8 months this what I've had been given. We went back to reception and told the receptionist that we could not stay in that cabin. The receptionist told me to go back at 8.30 pm so I did again and was seen by the girl who was in charge of reception and told we could have the cabin that had been allocated in the first place. We had been travelling for hours and we're shattered. I can't believe people can treat you in this way, we paid full price for this cruise did not get it cheap like a lot of other people did who booked at last minute.

The service in the dining room for dinner was very poor. They mixed all the wine up. The food was very poor. The food in the self service restaurant was very good and the shows were good. I will not be booking on this floating holiday camp again. If this had been my first cruise it would have been my last. I will stick to P&O or Celebrity X in future.
Gordon Bloor
Celebration...Great ship
2 years 2 months ago
We travelled on the Celebration in January 2015 in the Caribbean. It had a great itinerary and we loved all the ports. We booked all the trips on the ship and thoroughly enjoyed them all. They were all good value for money.

We had most of our meals in the main restaurant. The meals were varied and of excellent quality. All the staff were fantastic and could not do enough for you.
The theatre shows were up to Broadway standards.

Overall a great holiday. Would definitely travel on her again.
Julie Finlay
Cabin 002 - adults only ship
2 years 2 months ago
Just been to Croatia on the Celebration. Our first time with Thompsons. We had Cabin 002 which was a really huge room with a really huge long balcony, superb! We were right next to the Horizons bar and as long as you weren't the 'early to bed' kind of people, there was no noise to worry about apart from some late night shushing from people who may have imbibed a little more than usual!

Hot water was a bit hit and miss at night but nothing to worry about. Food average, nothing special, but nothing terrible either, there is a huge variety to choose from, all are catered for. The young show team, worked really hard and were very good, the shows we saw were excellent. Some of the bars were a little squeezed like Hemingways/Horizons.

Loads of sun loungers though, all around the decks so not a problem. The reception staff English needs to be improved upon, several times, what I was asking for was translated to the person dealing with me by another of their colleagues because they did not understand what I was saying. Organised trips ashore could have been better, a few were cancelled due to lack of interest but this was the first time the ship had gone to these destinations so not a lot was known by the destinations staff. The stand on ship was not manned very often, only 5pm - 7pm in the evening, I think they should have been in a more accessible place on ship with video loops of excursions showing on a loop, they might get better attendances.
Keith Bullock
Must be one ot worst cruise companies
3 years 2 months ago
This ship is a nightmare. It was struck by the Norovirus on 21st Jan. Confined to cabin for 24 hours, then able to go on deck but still had to eat in our cabin. Food was disgusting. Then they missed one port of call and took us straight to Tenerife, where we were shipped out on buses to Thomson hotels whilst they allegedly cleaned the ship. Got back after 6 hours to find our cabin exactly as we left it. We also paid £400 for an all inclusive package, we lost 3 days of this and no mention of compensation. We have been on many different cruise lines , This has got to be the worst. Never again
Elizabeth Power
Celebration .....not so much!
3 years 2 months ago
I spent a week on the Thomson Celebration and was really disappointed.

After paying a fortune for the holiday and the upgrade to a deluxe cabin with drinks packages and tours included. We discovered our deluxe room was directly below the sports court.

The noise from the sports deck was ridiculous and we got no peace what so ever when we were in the cabin. Getting ready for the poorly chosen evening shows became a chore as the constant banging from above became so loud we had to leave the room early most evenings. Only to then be woken at 7:30am the next morning by the same noise. Thomson had no control over the opening or closing times of the deck what so ever.

We made our complaint early on to reception and were offered nothing what so ever. I was assured that the UK office would be notified and that was a complete lie as they have said they heard nothing of the reports and will do nothing in the way of compensation.

4 of the toilets on deck 5 were out of use on the last two days which became a real issue with passengers queueing.

The quality of the food and the evening shows was so poor it was embarrassing. There was no room what so ever to move on the ship as it was so overcrowded during meal times and the sun loungers were all crammed together. I paid a lot of money for a less than budget experience.

We were then delayed at the airport as well which helped top off an awful week away with Thomson that cost me £2.5k

I will be sure to never book with Thomson again - that's something quite sad as I have been so loyal to Thomson for the last 10 years. I feel so let down that I have no other choice but to ensure I spread the word on what an awful experience I have had with them as a company.

Christine Craig
Never again
3 years 2 months ago
Having done 10 cruises and a number of them on Thomson's ships, we booked our wedding anniversary holiday on the Celebration. Having booked a deluxe cabin we eagerly followed the steward to the deck after spending over 30 minutes looking for it as it did not show on the deck plan, it was previously a staff cabin. We were shocked to see the condition of the cabin and bathroom. It was dirty with biscuits on the floor and the bathroom was smelly with the shaver socket hanging off the wall. It smelt strongly of stale cigarette smoke. We complained daily that the toilet didn't flush and on a number of days and nights we had to go down to use the reception toilets.

Our cabin was next to the door to the bridge and wireless operators door, a staff area where they congregated outside our door of an evening talking and smoking. Every evening we complained when we returned to our cabin as the entire cabin smelt of smoke and as we are non-smokers it was awful. Housekeeping came every evening and sprayed the area with a strong deodoriser which made us cough.

The wardrobe was next to the cabin door therefore everything hanging in there smelt too. Our entire holiday was spoilt due to the problems with cabin 051. Never again will we pay a huge supplement upgrade to Thomson's.
Mrs P Davis
Very dissapointed
3 years 2 months ago
Went on the Majesty last year it was great. This year the Celebration was not up to the same standard. Due to an outbreak of norovirus the previous week we were unable to serve ourselves at the buffet. We found the food boring and not very tasty and the portions we were given were very small and cold as we had to keep waiting to be served.

On deck 6 which is the smokers deck there was no free tea or coffee which meant having to carry it up from deck 5.

The layout of the ship was very poor especially the buffet area. The food was spread out all over the place and we often spotted something after we had eaten that we would have preferred but we did not even know it was there.
Heather Hewlett
Caribbean Treasures
3 years 2 months ago
Just arrived back from a week cruising around the Caribbean Islands.
In my opinion it was Thomsons at its best. Once we got through check in at Birmingham which was a bit of a pain our holiday only got better. We travelled to Barbados on the Dream Liner air craft. It's a great aircraft with plenty of leg room and the cabin crew were excellent.

The Celebration liner was beyond my expectations. I have already travelled on the P&O liners and was a little worried on what it would be like. The food & service were excellent and the entertainment was definitely better than P&O. Added to that I enjoyed all the excursions and have no complaints what so ever. I recommend it unreservedly.
els
OAP ship
3 years 2 months ago
I wouldn't say this is a family ship at all, in fact we got bored ourselves by the end of the cruise. Apart from Boules to play there was nothing else. The deck, where there was supposed to be some form of games, was never open because they were using it the full trip to dry and clean carpets. I guess the days off shore we always came back tired and ready for nothing, except munching and back on the old sun beds. It was into our 6th day of sailing and the evening staff came and removed all of the cushions from the wicker couches at the Lido and those from the dining chairs. Now without these cushions you could not sit on them as they were too hard and when you were sat at the dining chairs you had to kind of lift yourself up to be able to reach your plate, very, very uncomfortable.

There was lack of seating throughout this ship so this certainly did not help matters. After that it spoilt my evenings I loved sitting there watching the world go by. I went along to customer services and asked why this had to be, she told me they had to wash the covers in case of infection and for our safety. Now please yes I go for 100% staying fit and healthy and bug free but what about the dozens of other cushions on board the ship and if this did need to happen why didn't they have replacements I asked, all I got was its for our own safety.

This ship was going in for repairs a week after our trip so to me there was no call for them to leave their valid passengers without some comfy seating on Lido deck so unfair. On the sunbathing deck there was a big leak from the childrens pool all the time, it was a real mess. Before I knew it my bag got soaked and my was phone inside my bag luckily it was ok and I didn't put my bag on the deck again.

I thought the entertainment was super, very hard working lot indeed. The food was ok but didn't think there was anything spectacular and we were served throughout the trip just in case which we did not mind. Our cabin steward top notch, everything spotlessly clean the whole trip. To me they're the ones who keep us safe and free from bugs. We got a last minute bargain price so apart from my stolen cushions we could not complain but would not go back on her.