General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We did a week in Majorca on 15kg limit - two adults & a 15yr old boy, and the weights of our holdalls were 9.8kg, 10.4kg and 11.3kg going out, and 9.8kg, 11.7kg and 12.1kg coming back and we took enough to wear for the week without needing to wash anything.
We each had 5kg in our hand luggage, which included a change of clothes (we always do that in case a bag goes missing), and wore the heaviest items for the flights :)
We tool wheeled holdalls this year, as we knew we were on a 15kg limit instead of the usual 20kg's, and it didn't really make much difference to us - our old cases weighed between 3kg and 6kg anyway, so we basically had about the same in real terms.

2 weeks would probably have been a struggle on 15kg, but for a week, it's plenty.
:wave: We are lucky in that we leave our holiday gear with the people who own the villa and they store and wash/iron them already for when we get back out to Goa so 15kg's is just brill for us plenty room for the presents/booze/ciggies etc..
We only have a 15kgs allowance for a week in Benidorm in November and I was wondering how we were going to manage.

However I have just packed for a 2 week cruise, which required outfits for formal and semi-formal nights, and the cases weigh 16.5 and 17kgs. However we also have a 10kgs each hand baggage allowance and they are weighing 7.5 and 8 kgs.

I've trimmed back to the minimum I could take and hopefully we cad trim that even further for only a week.

However I think I would be struggling with 15kgs for 2 weeks.

luci :wave
we only have 15kg each for our 2 week holiday to jamaica, so it'll have to be seriously condense. maybe we can wear 4 layers on the plane ? ........................... :think
I have just booked to go with thomas cook and also only have 15kg allowance, which is a bit of a worry as my hard case weighs 4kg without any thing in, it might be cheaper to up my allowance than pay for new cases!!
last year we had 15kg each for 2 weeks T.C have been 15kg hold for some time now on short haul
Booked with Thomas Cook for next summer and they are now charging £30 for two persons to up the luggage allowance from 15kg to 20kg! They can go jump.....................

Folks, seriously, it's easily done. Mix and match and forget about all the loads of toiletries and styling gizmos. Mine going out last time was only 10kg. I was a bit over cautious I think!
Such a rip off really, i agree they can go jump........... A lot of these countrys you could actually buy something quite nice to wear for 30 quid while you are out there and give away to the locals before you leave.

I'd rather give the maids something than Thomas Cook.

Or as you have no doubt chucked out some toiletries, if you like the item bring it home.
Much as I would love to say.....go jump to T.C.....15kg is too low for us as we bring back our ciggies so have to pay for 20kg. Still think its a rip off, but looking at their prices for hols they do usually seem cheaper than Thomsons so maybe its not so bad.
Just have to check all the options when booking and weigh up the pros and cons.
This is true caz and especially if you have children in tow I know that it's often preferable to cater for all eventualities and use the spends for the nice stuff in resort rather than buying things.

I still maintain that people don't try hard enough to bring their weight down though.............
Hi,
I dont think you can take electricals in your hand luggage.

Pip
x
We took GHD's in ours. No way were they going in a suitcase to be robbed.

Managed fine with 4 x 15k this year.

The other bit that gets my goat is that you cant have one of 17k, 13k, 14k, 16k to make up the 60 K, what possible difference can it make ? They really do take the wee wee these days, anything to get a few bob out of you, and with all the problems in the travel industry I can only see them enforcing this more strickly not less so in years to come.
I regularly use just a rucksac for travelling and it's simply not big enough to carry even 15 kgs. General tips are:

1) Decant all toiletries into smaller bottles taking only just as much as you need.

2) Take a bottle of ultra handwash detergent and that way you get away with just 3 sets of underwear and no more than 3 of anything else either for that matter! In fact for a week, I usually take just 2 pairs of trousers, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 crinkle skirts, 2 dresses, 2 vest tops for day, 2 short sleeved t shirts for evening, 1 long sleeved shirt or caftan in case of mozzies at night and one lightweight fleece or sweater in case it turns cool once the sun goes down. Wear things once and they just need a quick rinse through and will dry on the balcony within a day.

3) Leave behind anything that will need ironing.

4) Find a hairstyle that doesn't need a lot of styling products or electrical equipment to keep it looking good.

5) Take 1 pair of shoes that will go with all of your smarter outfits, 1 pair of comfy sandals for walking around in, one pair of flip flops for the beach and 'dress down' outifts and wear your walking boots to travel in!

6) Leave behind anything you took last time and didn't use.

All that still leaves room and weight for the 1st Aid Kit, walking poles, a lightweight waterproof, the travel kettle, mini speakers for the CD/MP3 player, ice cube bags and the absolute essentials - a jar of Marmite and the Swiss army knife (for the corkscrew!)

SM
Much to my surprise (and hubbys! :) ) my case only weighed 17kg i (had allowance of 20kg) for a two week holiday this year.

So now I would be quite confident of being able to manage with 15kg for one week away.

(Am feeling quite pleased with ones self - can you tell? ;) :rofl )
Always travel light, out two cases usually weigh 23 kilos. mix and match, go in trainers for walking during the day. couple of light shoes for evening, few pair of three quarter pants and tops. few shorts and tops for the day
Can someone make head nor tail of this please?

Thomsonfly Baggage Allowance - Departures from May 2009 onwards Standard luggage allowance
Each customer is entitled to a check-in allowance of 20kg baggage and a maximum 5kg for hand baggage (max. dimensions: 55x45x25cm).

No single item of baggage may exceed 23kg. Customers who have pre-paid for an additional check-in allowance which places them over the 23kg limit must check in an additional bag.

Baggage allowances are per person and cannot be pooled across a party (i.e. 25kg for one passenger and 15kg for the other).

Other bags such as handbags, laptop bags or laptop computers must be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. We recommend that video cameras, mobile telephones and other valuable items should be carried as hand luggage; they must not exceed the dimensions outlined above.

There are restrictions on what you may carry in your hand luggage - please read carefully the information enclosed with your tickets. Customers will only be able to carry Hypodermic Syringes in their hand luggage if supporting an approved "Diabetic Doctors letter". Customers carrying such items must also advise check-in staff.

You should be able to lift hand baggage into overhead storage compartments yourself.

Customers on Skytours/Saver holidays may have a reduced baggage allowance of 15kg. This will be made clear at the time of booking. An additional 5kg can be purchased at the time of booking.

Premier & Premium Upgrade luggage allowance
Each customer is entitled to check-in allowance of 23kg and a maximum 7kg for hand baggage (max. dimensions: 55x45x25cm). This is only applicable to Premier and Premium upgrade customers.

No single item of baggage may exceed 23kg. All other conditions as per the standard luggage allowance above.

We are with Skytours and nothing was made clear when we booked!
I can't understand from the above if we have 20kg for the cases and 5kg each for on board? We haven't paid any extra!
I can't understand from the above if we have 20kg for the cases and 5kg each for on board? We haven't paid any extra!

As you are with Skytours, you need to check your invoice and/or details in the written confirmation - what does it say there? If it's not clear, then you'll need to check with the tO. If you want the increased allowance it might still be possible to pay the extra for this. If you think that you could manage with only 15kgs if necessary then you could just wait until the tickets arrive and see what it says on them. I think that the one thing that is certain is that you can't assume that you will have 20kgs check-in and 5kgs carry-on allowance.

SM
thanks.
It's been 3 weeks now and still no invoice. The email they sent me doesn't mention luggage amount. I just did a dummy booking and it gave me the information above. They say it clearly shows when booking but 'clearly' it does not!!!
Chivas69
If you have booked a "Thomson Plus Holiday" as shown on the website, then yes you should have the full allowance ie 20kg hold and 5kg hand.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.