Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Personally I don't take anything with me, tend to do a search for the best supermarket close to where I stay before I go then go and get the essentials when I get there. If, as you are on a budget and are not going to eat out,have a look at the local produce, which is always cheaper, you may find it useful to plan a menu for the next few days, that way you won't buy for the sake of it,just in case, and end up wasting it, you only buy what you need ;)
I'd prob take coffee if you drink it, either a jar or those sachets you can get from Supermarkets here. As you're going with Siesta I presume you won't have much lugging around of your cases so, depending on what you think you'll eat out there you could take oxo's, Tomato sauce etc. My friend does a lot of self catering as they like to buy local produce and cook in the apartment & they always take their own spices etc.

Which resort are you going to then perhaps we can see if there's a supermarket online which will give you a rough idea of costs?
Does Siesta do a welcome pack? Depending on what time you get there all you really need is something to drink and a snack. The campsite shop will have essentials to give you a meal until you can find a supermarket.
Don't take anything with you, buy what you need when you arrive. You will find many British & European brands (at a price) but buy supermarket own brands and get your bread, fruit & veg etc from small stores or the markets, cheaper than supermarkets and better quality.
I find it a pain having to buy things like salt, pepper, oxos, condiments when on a SC holiday as they take up such a small space in your suitcase. If you buy you have to decide if to waste it by throwing it out or bring it back which is a pain. Also little yellow & green scourers as you never know if you are going to get them & teatowels (had to buy these once :duh )they take up no space.

I take 7 /14 earl grey Tbags as I don't want to track them down & 7 /14 dishwasher tabs if I was going to a place with a dishwasher, I wouldn't want to buy a pack. Maybe a few washing machine tablets if I planned on running towels/swimwear through a washing machine. I normally buy local food as can manage without Brit brands although bizzarely bacon never seems to taste the same abroad even though my hubbie does a lovely fry up. We tend to eat out everynight though, so i only shop once.

We got a complimentary welcome pack in the last apartment that we stayed at in Spain, so it might be worth asking if they do one, or paying a small amount for one as it buys you the time to find out where the best shop/supermarket is so that you dont end up buying in their equivalent of Waitrose by mistake and spending a fortune.

Doe :sun2
  • Edited by doe 2012-01-19 13:44:42
Doe gives you good advice Lindy Loo.

Although we normally eat out in the evenings when self catering we do eat breakfasts and often lunch in the appartment and I hate to have to go out food shopping when arriving at night at my destination and will take a few supplies to take me through the first evening and breakfast. Like Doe I'll pack some condiments and I always take my favourite brand of coffee and a few tea bags. I've even been known to pack a couple of portions of cereal with powdered milk so that I can have a totally lazy breakfast sitting on the balcony in my pjs on my first morning.
Hi Judith :wave:

That sounds similar to us. I have been known to buy Nestle branded cereals abroad though as that is all that DS will eat, but thats probably the only home brand I need, although i guess it's an international brand.

Lindy, I haven't been to the Costa Brava for decades but on the Costa del Sol a lot of the Spainsh seemed to use a Supermarket called Mercadona so that was where I went. They also had one called SuperSol which I didnt check out. In Minorca there was a chain called Eroski (not sure if they are on the mainland as well) they were fine, so maybe some names for you to look out for, although perhaps someone will have info specific to where you are going.

Doe :sun2
Eroski is a supermarket/hypermarket with 1000+ stores throughout Spain with 16 in the Costa Brava area. Mercadona have many stores in Costa Brava. Price wise not much to choose but Eroski have promotions like a UK supermarket such as BOGOFs, buy one get one half price etc whereas Mercadona might cut 1 cent off the price of tomatoes occasionally :(
Packet soups that you just need to add water too. You can buy some fresh bread to go with it when your out there :tup
lindy loo,
where exactly are you staying on the costa brava, as that could make a difference to the advice you get. while general advice about what to take is helpful, we should be able to provide you with some more specific advice if we know where you are staying.
there are plenty threads on siesta holidays, which i would advise you to look through as they contain lots of advice.
i would certainly take a jar of coffee, scourers and tea towels and any food that your family are particular about (heinz ketchup :tup )
what else to take depends entirely on how much cooking you intend to do. it is possible to eat cheaply in a lot of places, and local produce can be very cheap
Thanks guys, im going allocation on arrival, so i ont know where im going to end up..Not sure if siesta let you know before hand, i know ferris dont letyou know till your nearly there..
i think it depends if its in a lodge or apartment. you will usually know the resort at least before departure. When do you travel ?
Hi i.ve booked a lodge for the middle of june. as long as theirs sunshine i dont mind where it is .;)
all of siestas camp sites have supermarkets on site, even if they are just small ones. cala gogo has a fairly big one.
I rang siesta to find out when we will find out our destination..... they let you know 10 days before!!! which is great , on feriss they leave till you arrive in the resort. so hopefully i can find out nearest supermarket. :)
I have now got our destination. It is camping toucan im lloret.. has anyone got any information on this site..cheers.;)
this site is on the main road out of lloret with the local L2 bus stopping near the entrance. this bus does a one way circle round town for about €1.20. it is worth a round trip on this just to see the whole resort. you can also get the L6 bus from there to blanes where you can get the train to barcelona, if you fancy a day out.
there is a big supermarket just along the road at the roundabout, turn left from the campsite.
look here for more info.
from the roundabout turn right to get to fenals beach and a good chouice of restaurants etc. try roxy's. there is also a small supermarket there that sells all sorts of british foods, if that is what you fancy.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.