Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Glad you had a good time Keith. The Red Sea Resorts are great for a late holiday, pleased you enjoyed Sharm. I now you enjoyed your hotel but you will be pleased to know that there will be another 100 or so that will be just as good, lots of the hotels take a couple of days to familiarise yourself with. Many have multipule pools and multipule restaurants and in most the staff just can't seem to do enough for you as they still appreciated tourism there and haven't yet got to the stage of taking it for granted.

Doe :sun2
:( I've lost my reply again as must have posted the same time as Doe. Its a bit annoying.
Keith- glad you enjoyed it. We may get to Egypt yet- especially now I've enjoyed AI in Mexicl :)
Sorry Fi :( if its any consolation I think it happened to me yesterday when I tried to post something at the same time as you. Talk about fastest finger first lol.
Glad you enjoyed your first trip to Egypt Keith, always nice to get a bit of sun this late on in the year, it is a very pleasant -6 here tonight :D

When you get a chance do you think you could give an update of the hotel in our review section http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/egypt/sinai-penninsula-and-red-sea/hurghada/ :tup

Cheers :cheers
Forgot to mention how good the staff were, very polite and could'nt do enough for you and never asked for anything in return (unlike Goa). Unfortunately most of our friends from Russia seemed to think the staff were more like slaves than attendants, without so much as a please or thank you and NO sign of a tip(although I've seen worse in Goa). With regards to the sunbed fiasco not sure how other Sharm hotels operate, on our 1st night we had heard people talking of how important it was to get your beds early and thought nothing of it. I am not a great sleeper (used to be a milkman) and I woke up about 5.45, managed to make a coffee and got out onto the balcony without waking the boss up, I looked over to the pool area and could'nt believe my eyes :yikes it was a sea of bright orange hotel towels draped over sunbeds. For the rest of the week our towels were out no later than 6am otherwise you would end up with a couple of duff beds tucked away in the shade........Keith
Gosh, sounds like it was busy regarding sun beds.

We were in Marsa Alam at a similar time and we had no problem getting sunbeds round the pool. We never managed to get them on the beach though, but we didn't turn up until about 9 45am, so hardly suprising i guess. I think with Sharm it can vary from hotel to hotel depending on size of hotel verses amount of outdoor space/beds etc.

We were at the Hilton Sharks Bay a similar time last year, and we didn't have too much trouble getting sunbeds there either. Especially as you stay in one hotel but you get access to the sunbathing terraces at The Hilton Sharks Bay deluxe side as well.

In Sharm if you tip staff in advance ( I guess that is really a bribe) they will often put your towels out for you. It's not something we have ever done but I think many people do and that is why there is often a sea of towels sunbathing rather than people.

Doe although the hotel was full I think the short hours of sun had a lot to do with it the sunrise was about 5 am and thankfully there were no sunbathers out then (although I saw a few out about 7am a couple of times). The sunbathing was all but over by 3.45pm so there were parts of the hotel grounds that got hardly if any direct sun. I am pretty certain a few palms were crossed with the odd £1 coin or so when it came to reserving beds, there was supposed to be a rule that if a towel was on a bed for 2 hrs and nobody showed up the towels could be removed but I never saw this happen. The restaurant reservation system seemed a bit wierd but we managed to eat in all but one and had no complaints with food or service, although the 4 sitting rule (6pm,7pm, 8pm, 9pm) seemed strange as not once were any of the restaurants full even though guests were told at the reservation desk there was no room....for instance if you wanted to eat at 7pm it seemed as though as soon as they had a certain number and once the number was reached they took no more bookings for that sitting but would offer you another time even though the restaurant was half full.... .( have'nt explained that very well or have I )
Keith.....
LOL you have explained it fine. It was the same in Marsa Alam with regard to sunrise and sunset, Infact I think in November all of the Red Sea resorts are the same, so you can't get round it by going to Hurghada, Taba, etc

The sun disappeared from our pool area at 4pm a few of us stayed out there until 4.30 sometimes 5, reading our books though as it was still warm enough. I am sure a lot of folk were out sunbathing at 7am but five to six hours is enough for us round a pool particularly for my DH so it suits fine so long as we can get a pair of sunbeds somewhere.

I should imagine many of those towels were put out by the pool guy :D although in fairness I do think Egypt is a place for the early risers. We have only ever been at Easter but the sun is up and hot from around 6-6.30am and starts to lose it's heat after about 2.30 - gone by 4.30-5. Early morning Is my favourite time of the day and one of the things I love so much about Egypt. As an early riser I can be found perched on my sunbed from about 6.30 with a book or sitting on the end of the jetty whilst the rest of my family are snoring away. Best time of the day :)
I really admire people who can get up at 6.30 am on holiday, :) I just cant do it, even if it means I end up with the last sunbeds in the back end of nowhere. :( or by the pool not the beach or the beach not the pool etc I feel like I get up early the rest of the year so I should be able to lay in till 8 if possible and then kind of get up in my own time. If I was having to do a sunbed run, I would feel like I was exchanging one part of the rat race for another.
Oh god no dont want to be setting an alarm clock whilst on holiday Chris. Im just an early riser, as soon as it's light Im awake and have to get straight out of bed. Im totally useless at the other end of the day though and usually start getting ratty and want to go to bed by 10pm.
Lyn- get yourself sorted out- 6.30 on holiday is not on :rofl
:rofl I dont have the patience to lie there wide awake Fi . Loads of people up early in Egypt to natter to instead .. far more interesting :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.