General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Found a hotel in Vierzon for the first overnight. Booked it £40 inc breakfast.

Then a drive over the Viaduct de Milleau. Hopefully 3rd time lucky. First time we went over in the middle of a thunderstorm and could barely see the car in front let alone the view. 2nd Time we stayed in the town of Milleau and the Bridge was in the clouds so we couldn't see it. Even when we drove under it on the way out we parked at the foot of one of the supports and it just went up and disapeared into the clouds!

Now thinking of doing 2nd night in Carcassone. We intend to splash out a bit more on this one as we would like to be central so we can have a walk round the old town.

Not sure about the trip back yet but first thoughts are an overnight in Limoges and then a dash for Boulogne next day and an overnight there before chunneling back next morning.

We are also looking for flights to get the kids and grandkids down to us. Birmingham to Barca is fairly easy to do with Monarch although we would prefer Girona or Perpignon for distance and ease of pickup so one son is OK. Can't find much for Cardiff to that part of Europe yet (Barca, Girona or Perpignon) Hopefully when the Ryanair schedules come out we can pick something up. Second son and family could fly from Bristol at a pinch but nothing showing from there yet either.
I go to Berlin in November so focusing on that for now. But I must admit I've already been thinking ahead to 2014. It's good to get an idea of prices and places but I won't be booking until after new year.

Dream holiday is the Caribbean!
After going to zante for the last 7 years and coming back 5 weeks ago we have decided on a change for next year so last week i have booked to go to Pefkos Rhodes :)
Just booked an aparthotel 500m from the old town in Carcassone for the Friday night. This will leave us with a hop over the border on the Saturday morning to L'Escala. Howver looking at the map we might try for an over mountain route just for the views rather than heading back to the coast and doing the Corniche.

Now we need t look at the hotels for the return trip. Currently Limoges and Boulogne are favourite.

Still trying to find flights for the kids and grandkids. Brum to Barca is easy although we would prefer Girona if possible. Cardiff/Bristol to the area is coming up blank at the moment.
Booked an apartment in Limoges for the first overnight on the way home. Right on the river about 400m from the town centre. £41 for the night.

Just the final overnight to sort, probably Boulogne.

Still can't find any flights to Barca or Girona from Cardiff or Bristol for the one set of kids/grand daughter.
Booked flights Yesterday tor faro for next summer. :cheers Will start thinking about where we want to stay after christmas.
Booked the final hotel for our trip last night. Got one inside the old town in Boulogne sur mer. £64 B&B and with free parking. Its all coming together. Easyjet flight schedules are now up, just waiting on Ryan air now so that we can get the kids and grandkids down to us. Also need to get the chunnel when the schedules come up. Will use our tesco points for that.
Nearly there Hi de Hi, good luck with your final part :tup
Sounds fab, hi de hi. Good luck with the last bit :cheers
Old town Boulouge sur Mer is lovely! Enjoy!
Tarry wrote:
Old town Boulouge sur Mer is lovely! Enjoy!

We know, we have had quite a few good evenings in Boulogne at the end of a holiday but we have never stayed inside the old walls before. We know a very nice restaurant just around the corner from the hotel called The Swan. According to Google it is still there. Had quite a few good meals there onlly spoiled the last time buy some uppity old Yorkshireman who seemed intent on picking an argument because we were talking in English to a family on an ajoining table.
Another piece slots in place. Chunnel booked using Tesco vouchers. Oldest son with DiL and garnd daughter booked on Bristol to Girona flights. Just need to book youngest son with his family out of Brum. Only barcelona available at the moment. Will go with that if no other options come along by the weekend.
Just booked youngest son and family onto Monarch flights Brum to Barca. Ryanair put their schedule out a couple of days ago but Monarch £200 cheaper! So all transport and accomodation now sorted. Now I can sit down with the maps and google maps to plan a leasurley route down. I am hoping to find a gentle mountain route from Carcassone to the Costa Brava as we shall be in no rush on that day.
Maybe most of you think that it is too early to think about the next summer. But what can be better than thinking about the shining sun and the golden sand, while outside is cold and gloomy. I just wondering which one of these for summer 2014 Ibiza, Chalkidiki, Cyprus, Capri.
hellomyholiday wrote:
Maybe most of you think that it is too early to think about the next summer. But what can be better than thinking about the shining sun and the golden sand, while outside is cold and gloomy. I just wondering which one of these for summer 2014 Ibiza, Chalkidiki, Cyprus, Capri.

We love the planning part. We start a folder and print off tstuff as we book and put it in. Then use google maps to work out nicer driving routes and print these out as we go along, sometimes with several alternatives so we can be flexible if the weather is poor or traffic bad. Then we shall start taking a few 'walks' through the town around the villa using Google maps street view. Already got the websites for local shops and other attractions saved.
We will be driving back to our favourite campsite in The Vendee again next year. Prices should be out this week but we already know when we want to go. We knew before we went this year that we wanted to go back next year; the only downside is that one family who are often there with us won't be there as all police leave has been cancelled in Glasgow next summer so they can't get away.
elaine80 wrote:
We will be driving back to our favourite campsite in The Vendee again next year. Prices should be out this week but we already know when we want to go. We knew before we went this year that we wanted to go back next year; the only downside is that one family who are often there with us won't be there as all police leave has been cancelled in Glasgow next summer so they can't get away.

Which campsite is that? We have stayed at La Prairie a couple of times.
Hi De Hi wrote:
elaine80 wrote:

Which campsite is that? We have stayed at La Prairie a couple of times.

We go to Le Pas Opton near St Gilles Croix de Vie.
St Giles, Croix de Vie is a lovely town. There is also Sable D'onne a bit further down the coast.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.