General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi De Hi wrote:
St Giles, Croix de Vie is a lovely town. There is also Sable D'onne a bit further down the coast.

We have been to the area 3 times now and have explored a lot of the little towns in the area, both on the coast and inland.
Have you done the Velorail just inland from the coast? It is about a 9km length of old railway and you hire a pedal powered cart to run along it. Take a picnic!
Hi De Hi wrote:
Have you done the Velorail just inland from the coast? It is about a 9km length of old railway and you hire a pedal powered cart to run along it. Take a picnic!

We keep thinking about doing the Velorail but our younger daughter has always been too small; maybe next year. This year we discovered Parc Des Dunes at Brem sur Mer and went with 2 other families; it was great although my daughter's friend broke her wrist.
we booked for august going to Sentido Gold Island Hotel Avsalla in Alanya . never been to this part of Turkey before ( always gone to Marmaris when we go to turkey ) so we are hoping it's as nice as it looks . can't wait.
elaine80 wrote:
Hi De Hi wrote:

We keep thinking about doing the Velorail but our younger daughter has always been too small; maybe next year. This year we discovered Parc Des Dunes at Brem sur Mer and went with 2 other families; it was great although my daughter's friend broke her wrist.

We have done the velorail twice. First time was so much fun the kids made us do it again a couple of years later.
We've just come back from Sa Coma In Mallorca only there for 1 week but it was so enjoyable did a bit of walking about its all flat so its nice and easy..Went into S'illiot lovely little place tiny beach lovely bridge where we watched the large fish under neath,there's a lovely walk round the headland to where we saw lots of teenagers jumping off the cliff into the bay its where the catamarans pull in for people to jump off if you feel brave enough..Going the other way we walked into cala bona and cala millor loved cala bona nice shopping area lovely sea front we caught the bus back but had to wait over a hr for the bus we got sun burnt there's no shelter to get out of the sun...The town of Sa Coma was enough for us for the week we went into a different bar every night plenty karoke on if thats what you like we didnt eat anywhere as we were A/I in the Palia Sa Coma nice big hotel but was geared towards the German/French wouldn't go back there plenty lovely looking places about..We did take a trip on the catarmaran to porto christo and back but i had to get off on the return journey i was ill with sea-sickness i think this was due to it being very hot on top of the boat and we got stuck in a bay the rope they use to tie the boat up with got wound round the propeller and we was getting bashed by the sea so we caught the bus back boy was i glad to be on safe ground again..Cost us 20 Euro's each for the trip we did see some lovely sights well worth the money..
I forgot to mention we have booked up to go to Skiathos for a week in Sept we are so looking forward to this holiday have been told its a lovely place to go, anyone got any tips on things to do or where to go would be helpful we are in Megali Ammon not far from the town..
Sounds like you had a lovely time, and got around quite a bit. :) Not long till skiathos. Have you been before?

We are hoping to go to Geece next year. Off to Portugal next week. Have already started packing/sorting clothes.
Hiya Suncatcher..No not been to Skiathos before, we went to Kephalonia last year i liked it there but did find it too quiet on a night for me, Agostoli just round the bay was lovely for shopping and plenty bar's restaurants but its on a steep hill from Lassi where we stayed..I must say the Loggerhead turtles there were huge the bay itself is beautiful..

Looking forward to Skiathos from what we've been told it's just has beautiful as Kephalonia.

Hope you have a lovely time in Portugal its a lovely place we stayed in Lagos many years ago we intend to go back sometime but there's so many places to choose from..x
sleep_r_us wrote:
We've just come back from Sa Coma In Mallorca only there for 1 week but it was so enjoyable did a bit of walking about its all flat so its nice and easy..Went into S'illiot lovely little place tiny beach lovely bridge where we watched the large fish under neath,there's a lovely walk round the headland to where we saw lots of teenagers jumping off the cliff into the bay its where the catamarans pull in for people to jump off if you feel brave enough..Going the other way we walked into cala bona and cala millor loved cala bona nice shopping area lovely sea front we caught the bus back but had to wait over a hr for the bus we got sun burnt there's no shelter to get out of the sun...The town of Sa Coma was enough for us for the week we went into a different bar every night plenty karoke on if thats what you like we didnt eat anywhere as we were A/I in the Palia Sa Coma nice big hotel but was geared towards the German/French wouldn't go back there plenty lovely looking places about..We did take a trip on the catarmaran to porto christo and back but i had to get off on the return journey i was ill with sea-sickness i think this was due to it being very hot on top of the boat and we got stuck in a bay the rope they use to tie the boat up with got wound round the propeller and we was getting bashed by the sea so we caught the bus back boy was i glad to be on safe ground again..Cost us 20 Euro's each for the trip we did see some lovely sights well worth the money..

My friend and I stayed in Cala Bona a few years ago and we popped into Sa Coma :tup it looked a canny little place. Glad you had a good time.

I don't do boats either :really I don't get sea sick I'm just convinced they are going to sink the minute there's the slightest movement :yikes
we are off for two weeks fishing and :sun2 in October to dalyan (turkey).
have been before and love it by the riverside :tup
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
sleep_r_us wrote:

My friend and I stayed in Cala Bona a few years ago and we popped into Sa Coma :tup it looked a canny little place. Glad you had a good time.

I don't do boats either :really I don't get sea sick I'm just convinced they are going to sink the minute there's the slightest movement :yikes

We only went to Cala Bona once in the Spring of 1989 and had a great time. It was £99 each for the fortnight Hi De Hi minor was born in the January of 1990! We never went back, it was the most expensive holiday we ever had!
We only went to Cala Bona once in the Spring of 1989 and had a great time. It was £99 each for the fortnight Hi De Hi minor was born in the January of 1990! We never went back, it was the most expensive holiday we ever had!

;) :rofl :rofl
Kiltman HT Mod wrote:

;) :rofl :rofl

Lucky for him the fashion for naming your kids from where they were conceived (al la Posh and Becks) didn't exist back then!
Niot sure if this counts as a holiday but in the October half term mrs H and I are being taken to France for a 3 day factfinding tour by a schools tour company. In the hope that shall then use them to book our annual French trip.
3 nights on the Cote D'opal, all transportation, tours, meals etc found.

Should be fun although we may be the only non French language teachers on the trip!
If you act a bit gruff and surly and eat some garlic you will fit in perfectly :D

Enjoy it, teachers don't get many perks for ALL those un thanked and unpaid hours they do every week :tup
Hi De Hi wrote:

Should be fun although we may be the only non French language teachers on the trip!

My mum is a retired maths teacher and she went on one of these trips once along with a number of her colleagues. None of them ever organised a school trip to Paris but they did stay in a wonderful cheap hotel that my mum has been back to several times.
elaine80 wrote:
Hi De Hi wrote:

My mum is a retired maths teacher and she went on one of these trips once along with a number of her colleagues. None of them ever organised a school trip to Paris but they did stay in a wonderful cheap hotel that my mum has been back to several times.

I am organising a trip as it happens. However the firm that is taking us the France didn't get the gig this time but are hoping that by showing us their facilities they will get the gig next time.
If he was called Cala Bona he would get a few comments about been hard.

But anyway.

I just did Cornwall this year, nothing exotic, but was blessed with warm weather and I went in September.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.