Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
yeah we had an amazing time!!
ahh your soo lucky haha!!
yeahh we will deffinatley be coming backk, we're looking to go back in June, just really want to be there now!
:) xx
Hello

My boyfriend and I have booked to stay at the Hotel Sofiane for a week, starting 8th November. We're both in our late 20s so would be good to know if anyone else is going??

I've read some mixed reviews about weather this time of year so we're prepared to bring all sorts of clothing with us.

We were just wondering if anyone has been this time of year and what the weather has been like for them? We'd be interested in doing some trips if it's not really beach weather, any suggestions would be welcomed.

Also, we were wondering if the hotel is still fully functional at this time of year or if things start winding down for the winter.

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks

Sarah and Alex
Hi Folks, can anyone give me info regarding snorkelling at the Sofiane? if any. :think

cheers,
Jim
Thanks Graham,I was hoping it would be available before I go on Sunday.
I enjoyed reading your review and looking forward to our first visit. :sun2
Just back last night from the fabulous hotel Abou Sofaine.
Everything was as Graham reported in his review and the weather was even kind to us by being sunny every day with temps reaching 80f by the end of the week.
We had a shock in store on Friday when 400 Tunisians arrived for their bank holiday weekend.
we were told their holiday is free,supplied by the factory where they work in in Sfax.
I have been in hotels which were popular with East Europeans but I have never in my life seen anything like the way these guests behaved!
It started on Friday night when we entered the restaurant at 8pm and the place was full and looked like a giant food fight had taken place!
There was nothing left on the buffet but the tables were piled high with food,even tables that had been vacated.
The head waited took us and 4 other couples to the Al A carte restaurant which we had already been to earlier in the week.
He told us he had told British and French guests to come to the restaurant at 6,30pm for their meal before they let the rest in.
We hadnt been told but we along with all the other paying guests arrived at 6.30pm on Saturday night where we had a lovely peaceful evening meal.
Many arguments took place outside with the management and Tunisian guests when they were told they had to wait until we had finished our meal.
At 8pm the doors opened and it was like a rugby scrum.Within minutes the buffet was emptied by guest taking whole desserts and bowls of salad to there tables.
The same scrum took place at breakfast so they opened the pool bar for breakfast and the beach bar for lunch.
The al a carte also had a buffet on Saturday night.
The Theatre/Disco was also a nightmare as groups of young men danced with a glass in one hand and a cigarette in the other.
The room soon filled with smoke despite an excellent extractor system.It didnt just smell like cigarette smoke.
Ther children where absolutely gorgeous but left to wander around the hotel and small tots on their own near the pool.
The staff were really fed up and did their best to make sure all other guests got their meals before the food was demolished!
We were told by many to avaiod the 19th,20th and 21st of March.
We met some friends at the airport and they had the same problem in Hammamet.
It seems to be the larger AI hotels that are used by the freebie holidays.
I must say we met some Tunisia families before the influx and they were also disgusted by the behaviour.Many took photos and videos of the mayhem in the restaurant.
Unfortunately we were leaving when peace returned to the hotel at 1pm on Sunday.
I cant wait to go back but it wont be during the March public holiday.
I am glad that for the most part you had a good holiday Jay Trip :tup
WOW! some induction to Tunisian Holidays? :whoops
At least you enjoyed your visit enough, to want to go back.

We had the same problem in Egypt. Every weekend dozens of Israelis/Egyptians crossed the border to stay in our hotel.(Movenpick Taba) Although we didn't have any problems with them.

"Beware the ides of March" Jay Trip? :rofl

Jim
We had a fabulous time and have even been in Thomas Cook today as we saw an offer for April in the window but it wasnt for the Abou Sofaine!
We were kept amused by the antics for 3 days but I dont want to repeat it. :rofl
All the Brits and other paying guests were really looked after by the wonderful staff.
They served drinks in reusable plastic glasses at the pool bar but the locusts as they were nick named by the staff only got small disposable ones.
Even that caused a row but the staff stood their ground and didnt back down.
I forgot to mention ,In July and August 200 Italian guests a week are staying and bringing their own animation team.
The lads are worried to what will happen to them but it may be like in Sharm where they have a separate entertainment area.
Take your own Tea bags and sachets of coffee as the tea has no taste and the coffee very bitter.
Next time I go I am taking a mug as it saves going back and forwards to the machines and they ran out of cups at times. :tup
All the Brits and other paying guests were really looked after by the wonderful staff

Must agree with you the staff really are brilliant :tup

Next time I go I am taking a mug as it saves going back and forwards to the machines

I usually take one of the insulated mug things and that is great for tea / coffee or beer, much better than the wee cups :cheers
My wife and i have just returned from the Abou Sofiane on Monday 10th.
We had the most wonderful time there.
If we were not going to Cape Verde in Sept, we would certainly book this hotel.
A few points: Take your own mug, and pint glass.
Their are Nescafe machines in the restaurant and bar areas.
Free WIfi in the lobby only, not in the rooms.

Now i wont bore you all with a review of the hotel, as Kiltman has said everything that need to be addressed in his previous post.
Graham, i thank you :cheers
So here are some photies of the hotel, its grounds, PEK and some bits and bobs.
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/JSWalker61/Tunisia2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCPWZ7uOcmaLxWw&feat=directlink

All in all, we had a great time in Tunisia again, and will be returning.
Jim
What wonderful photos, Jimmy. Brought back loads of memories of our trip last year.
Great photos Jimmy. Here's to the next time.
Fab photos Jimmy :tup
I am pleased you enjoyed it.
We have just come back from 2 weeks in Turkey and we both wished we had gone back to the Abou Sofiane.
We are hoping to go back in September. :sun2
Well, I'll be back in Sousse on 10th October but I doubt Anne will have had time to get the laundry done after your Cape Verde trip by then Jimmy. :sun2
Will just have time to get it dried and ironed before we're off again to Egypt in January.
So I think Pek will have to wait until April. :( But . You never know :que :rofl
OK, lunch at the Sultana in April it is then. Now perhaps we'd better stop being :offtop before we get our wrists slapped :wink:
:tut

Now perhaps we'd better stop being off topic before we get our wrists slapped

Be ashamed of yourselves, you know where to have a good old chinwag now stop going :offtop and get back on to the Abou Sofiane topic or I will be forced to lock this topic and give you all 2 weeks detention in Tunisia :rofl

Graham :D

Nice photos of the hotel and PEK Jimmy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.