Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Could you be confusing monetary compensation with compensation for the delay. The airline would be responsible for your welfare in the event of a delay and should provide things like refreshments, meals and possibly over night accommodation - these are all "compensation" for the delay. You won't get financial compensation for a 9 hr delay.
im hoping someone could advise me about this as this has never happened to me before so not sure how do go about complaints and compensation if there is any.

right - we have been on holiday on turkey and sould've been on a flight back from dalaman airport at 23:55 on 16th of august, wednesday - however when we arrived at the checkin desk there was a note there saying it was delayed till 3:00 which no one was too angry about - so we just checked in and started walking around the shops trying to kill the time. moods quickly changed once people who have been delayed before noticed a indef. delay notice on the flight info screens! no one actualy spoke to us there was absolutely no one to who knew what was going on or anyone to get in contact with.... after a couple of hours of waiting we heard an announcement that we were given food at KFC - went up there and my girlfriend got shouted at for asking for something vegetarian - she only wanted a bread bun and some fries - water wasnt even an option. the man could not understand she only wanted the bread and was getting really angry just shouting "no vegetarian" - he in the end threw a salad at her and we quickly walked off...

we had only planned to have a 10 day holiday but because we got cheated with the first holiday we booked through travelrepublic.co.uk we only managed to get a 2 week holiday so we had run out of money by the time we went home. no one offered any drinks apart for a coke with your kfc which is just no good when you are thirsty. there was no one to talk to or ask any questions there. people were sleeping on the cold floor, i had to do it myself and it was cold and horrible. there were little kids sleeping on the floors everywhere even though there were loads of unused departure gates with benches that couldve been used.

the actual aircraft that was supposed to leave at 23:55 arrived in dalaman at 04:40 and as soon as the people got off we were told it had technical problems and would not be leaving that night. we were told we would be taken to a hotel but even that we had to hear from people that had heard it from someone else - no one actualy properly explained anything to us. no one knew where to go to be taken to hotels, we just seemed to be following people around. by then we had spent 8 hours in the airport with only one free drink offered to us. we had no money to buy any water which cost over a 1£, and we couldnt find a cash machine inside - there was one outside the airport but we found after we had gone through passport control!!!!!!!

we were taken to a hotel and got there about 06:00, we were told a technician would be fying out from england to fix the plane and we would be given more information at 14:00 that afternoon. breakfast was offered and a big bottle of water per room???? the hotel seemed ok, the rooms were quiet cleen, so we went to get some sleep. we were also told we could have a 2 minute phone call!! i woke about 12:00 and decided to call work to tell them i would not be in the next day - i was then told i was a 2 minute phone call per room and only getting angry and asking for excel's contact details i was allowed to use the phone and my girlfriend to call her parents!!!!!!

also by then no one had actually spoken to us - no rep was seen at all.... all we got was a updated fax sheet stuck to the reception desk every couple of hours.

at 14:30 there was a fax saying that excel were happy to inform us that the technician had landed and they would updated us in a few hours????? we were given lunch and were only allowed one drink which was either beer or a coke or fanta - water was not an option"!!!!!!!! people still seemed quiet calm as there was no actual rep to get angry with. at around 16:30 there was another note saying they were still carrying out checks and we would receive more info at 17:30 - which actualy came around 18:00 and came from one of the passengers who had contacted the airport and demanded some information - he was told transfer buses were on the way and we should be ready to go - also at the same time an english lady turned up who said she was some sort of a rep and was trying to deny every bit of information that the passenger was telling us - next thing the reception got a phone call saying that we should be ready to go in 10 minutes!!!!!! where was she all night and all day - she seemed to only turn up when there problem was actualy being resolved.

we actualy managed to take off at 20:56 and were told that we would not be getting any complimentary drinks????? im sure we should've been entitled to some???? i then later on asked to buy a bottle of water and was told they didnt have any and got offered tap water!!!!!! the plane itself was disgusting - chewing gum stuck everywhere and mosquitos and flies inside. also there was an incident where one of the crew dropped the meal on the floor and was seen putting it back in the tray by one of the passengers that was sat behind me - she only threw it in the bin when her colleague told her to do so. i quicky refused my meal even though i was quiet hungry having eaten at around 14:00 and even then received one chicken drumstick and got shouted at when i asked for another one :D

landed in gatwick at 11:00 local time but we didnt get home till about 03:00 as after being quoted £98 for a taxi home we decided to get the train to victoria and then had to get 2 night buses back as the tubes had stopped running.

so my questions are - does anyone think we are entitled to anything? is there any point approaching excel? i have contaced my insurance company and they will send a claim form.

i will be grateful for any info.

kind regards
Having read through your post, it appears that the airline has given you all they needed to (e.g. refreshments, phone call and overnight accommodation).

The other aspects, alhough not very good customer service, I would doubt you getting compensation for.

My personal opinion of course :wink:

Mark :D
I wonder if anyone out there can help me? I have just begun proceedings in the County Court (Small Claims) against this airline because of the cancellation of our flight from Sharm to Manchester on June 17th. 2006.

When we arrived at the airport, the check-in desk for the flight said 'CANCELLED' on the screen. We arrived at Manchester 30 hours late. I know that the airline will try to say that the flight was delayed and not cancelled and I would like an independent statement from anther passenger who saw the 'Cancelled' notice. Thanks
Hi - has anyone had any flight changes whilst travelling with Hellenic Voyages?

We booked a holiday from Teletext online through Hellenic voyages to Cyprus for 2 adults and one child travelling from Belfast to Paphos on the 16th August and returning on the 30th August. We stayed all inclusive at the Akteon Village just outside Paphos. The holiday itself was brilliant and we have to say the entertainment staff at the resort were fabulous (especially as we were travelling with a 6yr old child). The day before we were due to come home at 9.30am in the morning - the rep calls our room and asks to speak to us in reception at 10.30am to discuss flight changes!

The flight changes turn out to be travelling from Larnaca on the Wed 30th (pick up time 06.30am for the 10.20am flight - original pick up time was 20.45pm for the 23.20pm flight), flying to France with Cyprus airways then on to Belfast with Easyjet! (One of the reasons that we had chosen to go to Paphos was due to the close proximity to the airport for the child!).

We argued our case with the rep - refusing to take the flight changes - but as it transpires, our names were removed from the Belfast flight and our new tickets travelling from Larnaca to Paris were booked on the 25th August (yet we were not told about the changes until the 29th!).
We lost a full day of our holiday also losing a full days all inclusive package and to top all that we spent a total of 15.5hrs travelling that day with changing airports etc!

Anybody else ever had a similar experience with Hellenic Voyages?
can anyone give me some advice tickets stated departing tenerife 5/1/07 23.55 when we got to airport were told tickets had a misprint supposed to be 01.25 5.30 am approached got in flight but then took off - booked into hotel came back to airport checked in 6.30pm left tenerife 8.45 pm arrived newcastle 1.00am 7/1/07 21 hrs delay where do i stand with compensation
Elly can you explain your situation a little clearer please. Thanks
our tickets stated return flight 23.55 departing tenerife to newcastle when we arrived at airport our flight had been rescheduled to leave at 1.35 am we checked in and were told there was a misprint on the tickets and it was supposed to be a 1.35 departure. We were then told that there was a delay till 3.30pm by this time airport was closed and we were the only ones left in airport the xl flight was on the runway but no sign of life. At 5.30 am the pilot came to the boarding gate and confirmed that due to a 11hr time limit to allow him to fly he could only take us to gatwick. We then got on the plane but 3 passengers refused to board there luggage had to be removed. By the time they found the luggage 11 hrs had passed so we were told to get off the plane collect our luggage from the carousel given water and sandwich then taken at approx 8.00am at which time the departure board stated that the newcastle flight had been cancelled we were the taken to a hotel where lunch was provided. We were thenpicked up at 4.00pm and checked in yet again and eventually flew from tenerife to newcastle at 9.00pm arriving in newcastle at 1.00am 21 hrs later will I be able toclaim compensation for a full refund through the eu legislation. on our arrival at newcastle two xl staff gave out photocopy confirming flight times apologising but were told we would have to clai m off travel insuarance I have checked my travel insurance and they have confirmed that Ihave to contact airline and claim through eu legislation. Can anyone give me some guidance and help than you
We had a flight delay (due to Spanish coach strike a few years ago) of 3 days and we claimed on our insurance, but you obviously cannot claim from both insurance and airline.

Read through the first post on the first page of this thread as it gives you all the legalities:-

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=41438&start=0
ellynewton,

to answer your question
will I be able toclaim compensation for a full refund through the eu legislation
NO.

EC261/2004 covers the "hospitality" aspects that the airline must provide in the event of a delay exceeding the stated times (for Tenerife to Newcastle, I believe the delay period is 5 hours as it's based on flight leg distance).

The airline must provide refreshments/food and where appropriate (as in your case) accommodation. They should also provide a couple of phone calls/texts/faxes etc. You probably can claim from your insurance for the delay - but be prepared for a minimal amount - perhaps as little as £20 each.

I note you were flying XL (I've posted many scathing comments about this airline over the past year) - their customer care record is, in my opinion, lamentable.

That said, there is a case in law for claiming compensation if you are delayed on the OUTBOUND leg of a package holiday. In simple terms, if you booked a 7 day package and arrived the day following expectation such that one night's accommodation was "lost" you can claim one seventh of the entire package cost from the Tour Operator (not the airline). The airline is however responsible for your care during the delay period at the airport as described above.
Hi, we were delayed at Gatwick on 15/12/06 flying to Goa. The flight was due to leave at 17:50 but we were delayed due to problems with a replacement airplane part until 15:15 the following day. MyTravel arranged meal vouchers and an overnight stay and gave us a letter stating the reason and time of the delay.

The rep told us that the details would be forwarded to our home address or the tour operator (whichever was appropriate for our booking) and we have received nothing in the post.

I checked our insurance and, due to the excess of £50 it wasn't worth claiming anything for the delay. Were we entitled to any compensation from MyTravel/Airtours direct? I am a little confused - as they followed the overnight accommodation/meal voucher process we thought we weren't entitled to any compensation but someone has mentioned that we should have claimed.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi all,

after 2 hours in the executive lounge at Manchester airpor( which I always book wherever I go) I went with my friend to our gate at 13:30 (2 weeks ago)

On arrival at the gate we were told the windscreen had a problem and come back at 18:00.

Wow what shall we do we say to each other.

Lets sneak back into the executive lounge and this we did and stayed there until we were ready to fly at 20:00.

A total of 6 hours delay until we took off but hey what the heck s**t happens, we never moaned and we had extra time in the executive lounge with free drinks until we took off(back hander to the nice lady on the desk).

We did though miss all of our all inclusive drinks amd meals at the hotel as we arrived after midnight but waht the heck.

We had an experience that we would not want to do again but you can't blame everyone so we had a laugh, went out to the bar across the road and came in at maybe 6:00 so a day to remember.

John
I am sat at Gatiwck Hilton as I type this. Suppose to fly to Goa 2 am this morning was told at 1.30 am that the flight will be delayed until 3 am wed morning 25 hours.. they have put us in Hilton fed us but no free drinks or phone calls...can I claim anything for my lost day on the beach?
EC issues passenger compensation warning to airlines

Airlines and European governments have been issued with a six month deadline to ensure airline passengers receive adequate compensation for delayed or cancelled flights.

The European Commission is threatening legal action unless rules which were imposed two years ago are upheld. Airlines should have been paying out up to £400 for cancelled flights since February 2005.

But the commission claims that passengers are not being informed of their rights and thousands every year say they have not received payments.

European transport commissioner Jacques Barrot reportedly said: "We must make sure that airlines and member states fully comply with their obligations."

The commission blamed ineffective enforcement by European states and unclear wording of the regulations.

A study for the commission found that the regulation appeared to have little effect on the level of delays, cancellations and overbooking.

Brussels said the number of complaints from passengers who say they were not properly compensated has been increasing, the BBC reported

The commission received 4,000 complaints last year while national authorities received more than 18,000 between February 2005 and September last year.

With permission from Travelmole
Yesterday we were due to fly from Alicante to Edinburgh, departure Alicante 11.10a.m (spanish time) We boarded the plane and got all the welcome speeches and safety demonstrations and were told we would be taking off in 10 -15 minutes. We were then told , another 15 minutes delay and some time after that there was a cracked window and eventually we were taken off the plane.
At about 13.20 there was an announcement that a meal would be provided at 15.00. When we went for the meal, a crusty roll was slapped on the tray and a scoosh of coke from a pump. Chicken escalopes were then, more or less, thrown at us. I tried to explain I was extremely allergic to chicken and that my husband was vegetarian but to no avail. I then asked for butter for the rolls and was told this was not allowed!
Later on a group of passengers asked for further food and were told a 10€ voucher had been issued to everyone. This was not the case. In our particular circumstances the only sustenance we received was a dry roll and flat coca cola.
More to the point was the total lack of information, the only information any of us received was from contacts in the UK checking websites or trying to contact Globespan in Edinburgh (without much success) The information desk at the airport just said they had no information. I am sure our mobile phone bill for essential calls, husband to work, me to a carer for my elderly uncle who I should have been looking after and to
failed attempts to contact Globespan would be near the £100 mark.
The flight finally took off more than 12 hours late and as we landed at 1.30a.m transport had ceased and we had to pay £60 for a taxi as well as forking out for food and drinks at Alicante.
This was a package holiday booked entirely through Globespan. Have we any right to compensation? If not what documentation would we need from Globespan to at least claim through our insurance for the delay?
We are booked again with Globespan for October (flight only) would this make any difference to our rights as we are considering cancelling.
Helen have you read through the information on page one of this thread - first post.
We recently enjoyed a lovely holiday in Paphos.We were picked up from our hotel at 4am for the flight back to Birmingham with Eurocypria Airlines.We took of at 7.15am, on time I might add, and then 50 minutes into the flight, the aircraft suddenly without any warning dropped I don't know how many feet.The cabin crew who had just started serving drinks threw the trolley behind the curtain and literaly legged it to the back of the aircraft.The cabin crew at the front of the plane were hysterical, one had got an oxygen mask on and was crying, people were being sick and screaming, a lady collapsed, and whilst I can appreciate at this point the pilot was busy,it was fifteen minutes before he told us there was a problem with the aircraft!He then told us that we wouldn't be coming home to the UK,but would return back to Cyprus.So we turned around and then he announced that we would fly into Larnaca.Then he told us we were too heavy with fuel so we would circle around the sea for 20 minutes.Then 40 minutes.Then 1 hour 40 minutes.We were absolutly terrified because we didn't know what the problem was.We eventually landed safely(I could have kissed the man!)at 11.40am, 4 and a half hours later,and were sent like sheep into the terminal,passport control etc.We were given a drink and a sandwich and then 3 hours later were ferried off in a bus to a cypriot restaurant who wouldn't allow us in straight away because there was a christening party going on.At 6.45pm they put us back on a bus back to the airport and it was at that point when I saw so many terrified people that me my hubby my niece and her fella refused to fly with the same airline.Fortunatly we weren' the only ones and we befriended another couple who had a 6 week old baby and an 8yr old,they happened to have a villa in Paya,so invited us to stay with them.It cost us 110. Cyp pounds for a taxi,we had to have a minibus whilst we stayed there because the villa was perched on the top of a mountain, meals and drinks out etc.We spoke to Olympic Holidays the day after and they agreed to pay for our flights back 3 days later with Monarch Airlines but it was terrifying having to get back on a plane.
On Sunday 17th June my flight was delayed from Bodrum to Belfast, Departure time was 11.35 pm arriving in Belfast at 01.35 am. When the rep came to collect us from the hotel at 19.15 she told us about a 10 hour delay stating the Airline had technical problems a mechanical fault, she told us we would be accomadated in a Hotel overnight in an All inclusive basis, We were delayed a total of 14 hours which the company in a letter given to all customers accepts that this infact did take place, Can someone help me here as I missed my Mot examanation which was due on the 18th of June at 11am which cost me £30.50 and had to pay the same fee once again to get it tested, the Mot centre will not refund me and Im not sure whether to claim from my own Insurance or First Choice Airways.
Can someone help me here as I missed my Mot examanation which was due on the 18th of June at 11am which cost me £30.50 and had to pay the same fee once again to get it tested,

rwb46, I work as a senior technician for a major dealership in England, I have never heard of being charged for a missed MOT appointment, if you miss the appointment, you miss it, you just re-book it for another time, we cannot charge just you just because you failed to turn up :!: It may be different in Belfast, but it would surprise if it was :!:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.