Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Just wondered where we would stand as far as delays to Dubai goes? We flew from Glasgow to Dubai. Flight left Glasgow at 2pm, but about 20 minutes into the flight the plane developed engine problems and had to turn off the engine.It was only a 2-engine plane. Anyway, we had to divert to heathrow where we had to collect our luggage, walk, what seemed like miles through different parts of the airport to a queue to try to get us on to another flight later that night. Basically all we did was stand in a queue for hours. We were eventually put on another flight which left around 9.15pm. So, just wondered if it is worth pursuing compensation. Do you think we would be entitled to anything? Thanks.
Does anyone have an email address wher i can contact Travel Law Solicitor Ros Fernihough.
Unfortunately not Jimbouk, contact is by phone only.

David :wave
anyone had dealings with scy flights. We had a 8hr delay going out of e/mids to Majorcaon 4-6-05 and a 6 hr delay back on 19-6-05. £5 token was all we got both ways.Looking at this airlines record it terrible ;every time I look its all delays. today our son was meant to fly back from RHODES with this firm; they were to land at e/mids at 19-10pm the latest estimated time is-----03-00 am which is nearly 8 hrs late. Other destinations are also DELAYED on this date.. HOW DO FIRMS GET AWAY WITH IT ON A REGULAR BASIS. BEWARE IF YOUR FLIGHT PREFIX IS SCY IT AIR SCANDIC :(
DELAYED on this date.. HOW DO FIRMS GET AWAY WITH IT ON A REGULAR BASIS. BEWARE IF YOUR FLIGHT PREFIX IS SCY IT AIR SCANDIC

We fly out of Manchester on the 8th August and this is a SCY flight :shock:

Regards,

TIMUK.
Just returned from Skiathos using SCY flights.

Air Scandic use Mc Donnell Douglas aircraft and to be honest the aircraft is very old and has problems.

Our problems were: warm cabin, oven not functioning correctly and problems getting luggage out of the cargo door.

Our flight was actually 23 hours delayed on the way back, with a tour operator so hotel was provided.

Even the cabin crew hate flying the aircraft. They are transported down to East Midlands from Manchester for each of the flights.

Out of Manchester they use newer aircraft, Boeing 757's.

Now have to wait for compensation for the delay.
Hi,Hope you aren't flying to greece on August 8th-We've been informed that SCY no longer fly to greece from Manchester.Our flight has been cancelled and we've been put on an ELA night flight instead.
August 7
My ex-husband and son are stuck at East Midlands waiting for an SCA flight to Kefalonia. They are delayed 'indefinitely'. Apparently SCY have had an aircraft out of action for two days but having read through previous posts I think that this is just an excuse for shoddy service.
The family booked with Kosmar and their flights were changed to Air Scandic at the last minute.
This is just one of the reasons why we advise holidaymakers to print off and take with them the Safe and Sound booklet (available via my signature) as problems can start at the airport.
Quote:

"The new legislation applies to flights on any airline flying from an airport situated within the European Union and to flights from non-European Union countries into a European Union airport - providing that the airline is registered in a member state. "

How is one able to find out where an airline is registered? Would this be a way for airlines to get out of paying compensation?
My family booked with Kosmar to Kefalonia. The flights were originally with Excel airways who sub-contracted to Air Scandic. Who holds responsibility for delays? Air Scandic is registered in Jersey which I assume is not covered by the new regulations. Their website says that all complaints should be directed to the holiday company, in this case Kosmar.
The flight from East Midlands due to leave at 2.55pm yesterday finally left at 6.00am this morning. No hotel was offered to the passengers. Having spoken to Kosmar (who finally admitted there is a problem), I was told that it is up to the airline to sort out hotels. In this case, who is the airline? Excel or Scandic. Surely the contract is with Kosmar not the airline?
Can someone help, I am very confused. :?

ITV news interviewed passengers at the airport yesterday (one of the stranded passengers works for them). We gave them this website address to look at. They were very interested.
I can definitely say that Kosmar are correct on this one! It is the airlines responsibility to find a hotel and not the tour operator. Here it usually falls to the handling agents to sort it out, and luckily we have a very efficient company. The reps should be onhand to help, but it isn't their responsibility to find the accommodation. The tab is picked up by the airline.
I have just returned from the Dominican Republic, flying with with Thomas Cook Airlines. The flight was delayed 8 hours, due to a late flight from Cancun. :evil: Although our all-inclusive package was extended for a further few hours after our original check out time, we still had to wait at the airport for over five hours. No refreshment was offered at this time.

I understood that under the new EU laws we were able to claim compensation for a delay on a flight of 3500km, with over a 4hr delay. Thomas Cook say that their airline does not pay out in accordance to this! What can I do??

Would really appreciate some advice from someone who has tried to make a similar request for compensation. Thanks! 8)
Lara,
sorry, but there's no compensation for delayed flights other than;

Meals and refreshments to be provided by the airline if delayed (more than 4 hours) in keeping with the length of the delay. I'd guess an 8 hour delay should merit a full meal and two refreshments (before and after meal).
When the delay exceeds 5 hours for flights > 3500km outside the EEC, you have the right to cancel your flight and hence to attempt to arrange alternate flight. You hould have been informed of this by the airline responsible for carrying you (not the tour operator). If you elect to cancel your flight you should receive the refund within 7 days.

If your 8 hour delay extends into the day following scheduled departure you could also argue that you should have been provided with accommodation and transport between hotel/airport.

I'd submit a claim against the airline seeking compensation for the value you spent on meals, drinks and sundry refershments during the delay, and for the value of 2 phone calls which should also have been provided under the terms of the EC261/2004 articles.

The compensation of 600 euros only appplies if the flight had been cancelled or you were "bumped" (denied boarding). You may also be able to claim from your travel insurance although they usually require 12 hours as a minimum.

Hope this helps.
Mike,

Thanks for the advice! I'd read about the new EU laws and thought it was worth a try.

Lara :)
Sorry to appear a bit thick but severely tired as should have taken off from Naples yesterday at 11.00 pm but flight was cancelled techinically probelems we were put up in a hotel and offered refreshments but am I right in that as the delay was over 14 hours took off finally at 1.15 today that I am entitled to refund of ticket prices for the 4 of us, also I had to make several telephone calls to cancel bil meeting us at airport, dentist next day. Also then had to get a cab to meet us as bil could not as he is working during the day thats why we took a night flight.

would be grateful for any thoughts as going to write to BA in the morining when not so sleep deprived and worn out.

Thanks

hatchup
Hatchup,
BA or their agents in Naples should, after a couple of hours delay, have made available to you a copy of your rights granted under the EC261/2004 articles. Yes, you have the right to cancel your flight and be refunded for the return cost (assuming you had already flown on the outbound leg). You should receive such refund within 7 days.
their failure to make this known to you and every other passenger could merit a 5000 (euro I think) fine for each such instance.
they should have paid for two short telephone calls also.
Doubt you've much chance on the taxi refund though - their contract only requires them to get you to/from departure/arrival airports not home.
BA may try to say technical fault was unavoidable, as they are/will be saying regarding recent in-flight meals and BA staff strike. The EC article specifically states that "unavoidable causes" does not cover strikes by the airline's own staff.
The initial BA response to the Gat Gourmet strike was to send planes off with only mandatory water/medical supplies and to request passengers provide own meals.
Only when BA staff (bus drivers, check-in staff and baggage handlers) also went on strike did BA start to cancel flights. Tough on BA but not what's deemed to be unavoidable - so every delayed passenger and cancelled BA passenger should be claiming their full dues.

Good Luck.
Thanks for that I will see how I get on

hatchup
We were delayed for 29 hours in Antalya we were supposed to come back early hours on the 21st August but we returned after 29 hours yesterday. We were flying with Excel Airlines through Freedom Flights. We asked to be put on the next London flight after we were told the flight had been cancelled and told all flights were full. We were put in a hotel but no one knew when we were flying. We were told at the airport we may have a flight at 1.30pm 21st August but then we heard nothing. Then the hotel told us we were being picked up for a transfer at 4pm and then at 2pm we were told this was not happening. Eventually we sent information at 8.30pm which was dated 20th August saying we were flying at 5.35am 22nd August. Eventually at 10pm after visting reception for the upteenth time we were told pick up was at 2.30am. Meals were free but the hotel only gave free soft drinks 10 hours before leaving the hotel. Once on the plane we were just about to take off when we told there was a problem with the value on the engine and we were delayed again whilst someone fixed it. Where do I stand regarding compensation and has anyone been in the same situation with Excel Airways? :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.