Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
AirAsia
23 Posts
nivsy wrote:
Flights should be by AB340

Air Asia have acquired an ex Air Canada Airbus A340-300 that will be used to operate this new route. It'll have 286 seats flying five times weeklY, with 30 seats in premium economy.

Darren
AirAsia starts Stansted-KL flights

AirAsia flies its inaugural London Stansted to Kuala Lumpur flight today, the first low-cost, long-haul service connecting the UK to Asia.

The new service will initially operate five times per week, connecting to 64 destinations such as Bangkok, Phuket, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City and Bali from £10, and on to Australia for under £100.

AirAsia group CEO Tony Fernandes said: "Since Sir Freddie Laker's Skytrain, no airline has ever managed to carry passengers this far at such low fares.

"This is a revolutionary moment for the aviation industry and a great day for passengers, who can have an amazing Asian experience for the price of travelling to Europe.

"Our sales have proved this business model not only works, but is flourishing in a tough market. Long-haul legacy carriers have charged too much for too long to millions and millions of passengers, and today we have made the sky a fairer place to fly"

"We are at the very beginning of realising our ambitions in Europe. We will aim to add more frequency to create a daily shuttle to Asia and lower our fares even further."

The economy promo fare offered at £99 were all snapped up within 48 hours after the airline opened for sale last November.

Other regular fares offered at £149 and £199 one way were also sold very fast, said the airline.

The route will be serviced by an Airbus A340-300, which holds 286 seats including 30 XL seats which have a 60-inch pitch.

XL seats start at £699, with recent offers driving prices as low as £399.

With permission from Travelmole
Has anyone used this service and can comment on it please, especially around comfort of seats.
I am getting a price of under £500 return for 2 people which is amazing value, but doesnt include all the extras like bags and food.
Once everything is taken into account is it still good value? Cheapest other option I can find is £995 with a major carrier
i have used them,when we were over in malaysia & i was very impressed.leather seats,plenty of room,on time,on all legs of the journey.they are like ryanair,where you don't get a seat number,but that is no hassle.
we were in malaysia & used them,to fly over,to bali.
i would definately use them long haul,if there short haul,is anything to go by.
sorry i can't be specific,about the journey,you are asking about,
tracy
There prices do seem to have made their competitors think. I was pricing up some Far East routes with Singapore Airlines, these were coming in at about £319 pp to destinations like Bali and Malaysia via Singapore so perhaps comparable and course Singapore Airlines is a full service airline so baggage and meals/drinks are included.

I've only used Air Asia internally within Asia, found their punctuality somewhat lacking, but they did allocate seats at check-in.
can anyone,point me in the direction,of any reviews,for air asia flights,from stansted to kuala lumpa.not so much reviews,but opinions on seats.
we have booked the very last 2 at the back,row 46,but can't find any info,if they are good seats or not i.e less leg room,smaller seats etc.
seat guru,doesn't seem to list air asia,so can't check,even if i can check another airline,that flies the same planes,that would be great.
thanks in advance
tracy
tracy99,

Have you had a look on Airline Quality? The seats towards the rear are just standard seats, no different from any of the others.

Darren
thanks darren!
speedy reply as always,
tracy
AirAsia X switches London airports

Malaysian long-haul low-cost airline AirAsia X is to switch flights from London Stansted to Gatwick from October.

Starting October 24, Gatwick will become the new UK base for the airline, which will operate six flights weekly to Kuala Lumpur by mid December.

Chief executive officer Azran Osman-Rani said: "Gatwick Airport was chosen as it demonstrated the passion to work with us in realising our objectives to grow passenger traffic between our hubs in London and Asia Pacific.

"With our new home base in Gatwick, guests will be able to further benefit from the airport's regional access and market connectivity potential with faster and cheaper rail connectivity to the city as compared to Stansted.

"AirAsia X sees strong potential for the airport as we believe our entry will address the fact that direct services to Asia have been significantly underserved from Gatwick."

AirAsia X launched its maiden flight into Stansted in March 2009.

The airline is currently operating six times a week between Stansted and Kuala Lumpur.

AirAsia X blames 'exorbitant' taxes for decision to pull out of London

Malaysian airline AirAsia X is to withdraw its services from London Gatwick and Paris to Kuala Lumpur at the end of March.

CEO Azran Osman-Rani said the decision was down to continued high fuel prices, weakening demand and "exorbitant government taxes".

"The implementation of the Emissions Trading Scheme and the escalating Air Passenger Duty taxes in UK, which will rise yet again in April 2012, has forced our decision to withdraw our services to Europe," he said.

Gatwick Airport issued a statement this morning saying: "We are very disappointed to be losing AirAsia X, which has been operating a direct route from Gatwick to Kuala Lumpar since October last year."

The airport said the airline's decision is "clear evidence that the burden of additional taxation in all its forms is a material consideration for long haul airlines flying to the UK".

Air Asia X is also stopping flights from KL to Mumbai and Delhi, blaming visa restrictions and baggage handling charges.

It is offering passengers a full refund or the chance to reroute to another AirAsia X destination, or move to an alternative carrier where available.

A bit more info on the Air Asia who has decided to pull from Europe (not just Gatwick).

AirAsia X is re-aligning its network to focus on core markets and will be withdrawing services to India (Mumbai and New Delhi) and Europe (Paris and London) from Kuala Lumpur:

"¢ Mumbai- Four weekly services will be suspended with the last flight on 31 January, 2012
"¢ New Delhi- Daily services will be suspended with the last flight on 22 March, 2012. Flights in March will be reduced to four weekly services.
"¢ London- Six weekly services will be suspended with the last flight on 31 March, 2012
"¢ Paris- Four weekly services will be suspended with the last flight on 30 March, 2012

AirAsia X will concentrate capacity on core markets of Australasia, China, Taiwan, Japan and Korea.

Nivsy
a small rumour is that Cathay might start flights from Gatwick
I was wrong, it's not Cathay , but Hong Kong airlines , same destination though!!!! They launch a daily flight on March 7th with club class seating only , Also Korean Air start a service to Seoul on April 28h with flights 3 times a week.
I will flying with Air Asia from Bangkok to Siem Reap. Not sure what to expect. But its a short flight. By the time we paid to take luggage it came to £200 return for both of us. Anyone here flown with them recently?
Hi Fiona,
I’ve not personally used them, but my daughter who lives in Hong Kong, has.
I think she likened them to a sort of “Ryanair” type outfit – only with bigger airplanes.
I also believe that once she encountered fun and games finding out (en route) that at one of her intermediate stops somewhere in Asia, that the AirAsia flight she was trying to catch didn’t use the main airport terminal – it used one some miles away.
Again – maybe similar to Ryanair
thanks Bill.
It does use the older Bangkok terminal ( which I know well) but thankfully lands at Siem Reap international.
I have paid to book seats- all of £1 each.
I have used them,a couple of times.i have flown from london to KL with them,also KL to china & then KL to Bali.all flights were on time & the planes clean & comfortable,with red leather seats.
My sister uses them all the time,as she likes her trips to Malaysia,but always goes somewhere else as well.she has used them to fly to Cambodia,China,Australia,Macau,Penang & various other places.
We are going to khao lak,in nov & I have just been pricing them up,to fly to Cambodia,so we break the 2 weeks up.
Tracy x
I've used them a number of times over the years for short haul within SE Asia. They're very good. Good service given they are a low cost carrier. Used them to fly from Kuala Lumpur to Siem Reap, various flights within Thailand and Malaysia, all fine
Looks like it may be better than I thought! Thanks both
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.