General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
When I was in Shanghai in 1991 they were redoing the Bund which was a real mess, but the parts that were finished looked nice, though across the river was still open land .
I saw pictures on TV of the new HK Airport being built, they just flattened the island, Maybe a new airport was needed but to completely spoil what was a beautiful peaceful area, I supposed it's called progress and it seems there is no stopping the expansion thats going on in China.
It was sometime in the late 80s when I went to HongKong and both inward and outward flights were in the evening. I had a window seat and it was absolutely fantastic to see all the houses and hotels lit up as we flew past their windows.
I don't have an aircraft anorak, honestly! I must admit though, I do like to point the camera at the big birds but its more the photography for me than the actual aircraft; the challange of getting publication quality shots and then having the odd one in magazines or Tv. Its easy to get drawn in to wanting to get photo's of all the difference registration and the liveries though, so I suppose you can call me a spotter as well :oops: I do like aircraft as a machine, how they work etc and I've had a flying lesson or two and beleive me, its harder than it looks! The flying bit is easy, its everything else thats the hard bit.

As for the best airports for viewing, there are 2 or 3 that spring to mind. Without doubt, the best in Europe is either Manchester (aviation enthusiast friendly) or Amsterdam Schipol although both are tightening up their security and limiting access to some of the vantage points. One of the most scenic is probably St Maartin but there are many places which offer great access and views of the airfields depending on what you want. St Maartin at Maho Beach is well known for its low approaches with aircraft being litterally inches over the perimeter fence but they are not standard approaches and its pilot error for being below the glide slope. If you think the one that Mark posted was low, look at this one: This barely cleared the fence

Darren
St Maartin at Maho Beach is well known for its low approaches with aircraft being litterally inches over the perimeter fence but they are not standard approaches and its pilot error for being below the glide slope

Makes mental note never ever to fly into St. Maarten - we're talking inches here :roll:

Mark :D
An even scarier photo taken from the Maho Beach hotel: a KLM Boeing747-400 landing BEFORE the piano keys and missing the fence by litterally by inches.

Darren
That last was the one I remembered - well done Darren!!

I'm not a great flyer at the best of times - OK up in the air, but terrible on landings and take-offs (or "controlled crashes" as my DH puts it!) Can you imagine how I felt in November when Caribbean Star cancelled our flight from Antigua to Virgin Gorda - and we had to puddle jump on a commuter express via St Kitts and .............St Maarten!..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

DH still says that Funchal is rather fun - haven't tried it personally, not keen on the combination of mountains and runways! Possibly not so good for spotters though - unless they have crampons to hand!
The approach to St Barts has to be one the best ones, rather scary for passengers and rather challanging but fun I suspect for the pilots. You can just imagine what the pilots are thinking and I've heard it refered to as the submarine approach "clear the hill and dive, dive, dive"

Darren
Darren,Have you been to Mexico yet?.I remember you booking for March but have looked through the hotel reviews and cant see any recent reviews,Jay
I got back from Puerto Vallarta last thurs, I've not done my trip reports as yet though. Just to keep us on toptic! PVR is quite a nice little airport, quite a smooth transition through it with a decent duty free and viewing area.

Darren
Have you ever watched the Dehaviland Dash 7s as they come into London City Airport. It looks as if they are diving staright in!
The Maho Beach photos are amazing!
I have just returned from Caleta in Fuerteventura, the planes come over quite low there, our hotel pool was directly underneath the route taken by most planes, apart from the Spanish airlines, who seem to fly their planes the same way they drive their cars, and make a sudden sharp turn instead of a slow approach... Most days the planes are German or Scandinavian but Wednesday is 'Brit' day, and we would look out for all 'our lot' coming in. I managed to get a photo of a First Choice plane, with a Comic Relief red nose and small red noses all over it, flying over our pool bar :D I also spotted this plane (or have they done another one?) when we landed back at Manchester on Saturday night. And no, I'm not a plane anorak... I just grew up with Sunday afternoon visits to Manchester Airport, back in the days when you could go out onto the 'piers' and see the planes up close.
Hi,

Dont think anyone has put this on but watch this for a landing.

:sun

**Link removed. Sorry we do not allow links to Videos**
Cant get enough of the airplanes, all year round. Living in Glasgow, I am in direct flight path for glasgow airport, some big planes almost touching the roof tops

On holiday in Rimini Italy, its good to see the planes flying over, and alll the new holiday makers arriving
wow, what a video!!! wouldn't like to have been in the car it just missed anyway!
Mine has to be Kalamaki on Zante because they fly in right over the beach

I agree on this one, they come over real low, infact last year I was sat on a pedlo with my son and a First Choice plane went over so low I thought I could touch it.
That video has been around for a while now. It is rather impressive but also I think it is a bit deceiving. Because of the angle and the close proximity of the aircraft to the camera, ie wide lans, it wasn't as close to the fence as it first appears. The landing was 'normal' for SXM although it was impressive.

Note to self: Next holiday is the Beach Bar at Maho beach!

Darren
Which airport is it where the pilot appears to be aiming the nose of the plane straight at a mountain and then at what appears to be the last minute turns right and lands on the runway? That would be interesting to see a video or even photos of. Dazbo? TAH M? Thinking 1 of you is most likely to know where this airport is.
Could be Funchal or Innsbruck I suppose - both have "interesting" approaches - though Funchal isn't as much "fun" as it used to be since they extended the runway. Still think that stilted runway attached to the side of a very big hill on a volcanic lump in the middle of the Atlantic is a nice anoraky place to be!

Unless you're thinking of the Dambusters of course!! :? Ah - but of course there wasn't a runway, just a lot of water and a large lump of rock or two!!!

Dazbo might have a better idea though
It's not in Europe. It's somewhere far off from UK. I might ask the person who told me about it. Then get back to you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.