Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
We keep getting comments about no entertainment in the hotels. I've just looked at a few hotel reviews chosen at random, and all score very low on entertainment.

That's because there isn't much in the hotels, but it's all around in the bars and restaurants.

Where there is some form of entertainment in hotels it's usually some tired old (often literally) group, banging out the same loud music every night.

In the bars and restaurants it's of far better quality and varied. It has to be because there are so many competing for your custom.

Peter
Hi Peter

The issue with the Albena beach club is that it's sold as an all inclusive hotel with entertainment. Granted the entertainment is often of dubious quality and you may decide to go elsewhere, but the point of an all inclusive is that you should be able to go and not spend a penny if that's what you choose to do. For some families this is why they book an all inclusive so they can budget ahead. If the sister hotel is the only place doing entertainment, where the all inclusive doesn't apply this means that the holiday has been misrepresented in the brochure. At the end of the day it is either all inclusive as described or it isn't in which case First Choice should be addressing the issue.

Pam
Hi K,

Point taken, and the First Choice website desciption of the hotel and its facilities is HERE
You have a right to expect 'Entertainment + Daytime and evening Entertainment programme.'
Most important, the entertaiment and all inclusive drinks should be in the same place, but looking at the recent review of the hotel that Fiona has pointed out, it appears this might not be the case.
It mentions on the website that the Albena Beach 'shares facilities with the neighbouring sister hotel' but I wouldn't call entertainment 'facilities'.
Plenty of time to sort out First Choice, looks like a very misleading brochure description to me, in view of the review we have.

Peter
Hi

Anyone who is due to go soon may be interested to read the reviews on tripadvisor.com. Only 4 there, the first two aren't so good but they seem to be getting better- the last review descibed it as 'wonderful', which is really good to hear :!:

Pam
The page is HERE

Makes you realise how superb this site is!!

Peter
Hello hello!

My husband and I just got back from Albena two days ago. we stayed at Albena Beach club and it is All inclusive and no entertainment whatsoever! Entertainment is provided by Gergana which the hotel next door, but honestly we didn't find it entertaining at all. This is just a very quick note as I don't have much time right now but - we were not too happy about the hotel. It wasn't bad but we are not gonna go back there again. I will write a review as soon as next week when I am back to work and my normal schedule.

Cheers,

Dara
Hi Dara,

It's a shame that the hotel didn't meet your expectations - I hope that the rest of the holiday went well.

Baldur
There's more information on the hotel on this page at - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=78757

Peter
Oh yes the holiday was really great! The hotel was not all that bad but we will definitely try another one next summer. Bellow a few of our experiences in the hotel:

1. When we arrived at 15:00 our room was still not ready so we had to wait quiet some time before we could go in leave our stuff and go take a dip in the sea.
2. Once the staff at the reception found out we were Bulgarians they were no longer as eager to service us!
3. When we at last got into the room we found out there was an extra bed inside (they had forgotten about it) so we had to wait for someone to come remove it.
4. While we were waiting for the extra bed to be removed we heard sound of dripping water... we looked around and we saw the ceiling had big wet stains in one of the corners and there was water dripping on the carpet forming a big wet spot. Apparently, there was a problem with the bath in the room above ours. The problem was solved, however the wet spots on the ceiling obviously were there for a long time and were seen even after drying out. Now as that was our first impression of the hotel, you could imagine we were not so happy.
5. We tried to switch on the air-conditioner and it wasn't working. Later on a technician was sent to fix it and on the next day it was working.

We didn't have any other problems of that kind after that. The only permanent annoyances were - the size of the towels, which were way too small and the fact that in order to unlock your door you'd have to switch off the electricity in the room. It was really annoying in the evening when it was dark and we were trying to go out!

A few other general impressions:

1. The restaurant - overcrowded, food was plenty but extremely boring and tasteless. Dishes were never well washed. Drinks were awful, especially the beer and wine, you could not have any imported soft drinks (Coca Cola, Pepsi, Fanta, etc.) before 11 AM. Up till 3rd of July there was one dinnertime for both Slavuna and Mura (the two hotels the complex consist of), which was 18:30 till 21:00. However after the 3rd of July they put up signs that now the dinner for Slavuna was to be from 17:30 till 19:00 and for Mura from 19:30 till 21:00. Which was absolute nonsense for people like us who never eat before 20:00 and were staying at Slavuna and for those staying at Mura with small children that normally eat before 19:00! When we complained we were told that we could "try" to go with the second shift but when we asked if we would be denied access to the restaurant since we were staying in Slavuna we were told "probably" not. The probably was what worried us so we started having dinner at 18:45. We didn't have any troubles except we were never hungry when having dinner!!!
2. The Snack bar is a complete joke! If you are OK with greasy sausages and cold fries and if you like drinking lots of low quality beer you might like it. Otherwise one should stick to the pizza (only one kind - widely known as Margarita - only tomatoes and cheese on it), the coffee and the ice cream.
3. Entertainment - during the day there are three activities we witnessed - darts, beach volleyball and something that was happening in the pool (the pool is situated between Hotel Gergana and Slavuna), which included a ball. None of those was any near entertaining. For the kids there was something like .. hmm"¦ gymnastics on the beach, but I never saw any kids really enjoying that and there is a small tent where the kids could draw or something. The evening entertainment was better. There were shows performed by the entertainment staff in the pool area at the side of Gergana. The shows included - Best Couple, Mr. And Ms. Albena, Holywood Show, Karaoke night and things of the sort. The shows always ended at about 22:00. You could probably get drinks from the all inclusive bar of Slavuna, make your way through the sun-beds by the pool and cross to the other side to Gergana. The distance is not so big but with the drinks in your hand"¦Ah not to forget you could only get two drinks at a time.

Oook, this became a bit too long, I should have probably put it in the preview section but I still have a few more things to write before I do that. I am posting this here for those that urgently need information about the hotel and will proceed with the review at a later time.

Anybody who has further questions could PM me and I will try to answer as fast as I could.

Dara
It sounds pretty dire. What are the chances of it improving do you think as the season progresses? Do you think it merits the 3 star plus rating that first choice have given it?What are the lunch arrangements, is it just the pool snacks or is other food available? Final question on the pools- is the pool large enough to accomodate the three hotels and is the childrens splash park any good?

Many thanks

Pam
Hi Dara,

Would be most grateful if you could put us a review on HERE please, when you have a minute.
Your report is most interesting and welcome.

Peter
I have again spoken to First Choice and they have confirmed there have been numerous complaints regarding this hotel and they are thinking of sending a letter to all bookings regarding the Entertainment and lack of All Inclusive facilities.

They have agreed for me to transfer to an alternative holiday with no admin fees. We are due to go August 10th so I need to make a decision soon!!

Should I take the chance and risk it or go somewhere else??

Janet
Hi Janet,

Thanks for the information. The choice is up to you, and I would have thought there is sufficient information on this forum to help you decide.
Remember that as FC have advised you as to the situation, you have no come back whatsoever if the lack of all inclusive facilities ruins your holiday.
In my view never mind an alternative with no admin fees - having booked the holiday on the basis of a a false or misleading brochure description you are entitled to a full refund.

Peter
OK, I have now just emailed First Choice regarding the beach club. It would seem that they would rather people switched their holiday rather than making any effort to ensure that the hotel is providing the facilities as described. We have over a year to go yet, so I do feel for those of you who are off soon and are in a predicament as to what to do.
I'm not entirely sure what we shall do, having booked early we benefitted from discounts and a free child place, which are no longer easy to get, so even this far away, to move would mean a huge hike in cost. I have put this to First Choice and we shall see what their response is.

Pam
Hello Janet, But where have they offered to transfer you too, you must bear in mind that 60% of the Hotels in Albena are on the hillside and some way to walk to beach. Yes there is a noddy train but using it daily to and from hotel can add to your outgoings. When you are told which one let me know and I will try and assist you in distances, etc. Tonyt
Well after spending 2 hours last night looking for an alternative holiday with First Choice I have opted to take a full refund and will be booking elsewhere.

I had various arguments ready to plead my case for a refund but there was no need, they agreed straight away due to number of complaints so far.

So thats the end of my Bulgarian adventure, I will still keep an eye as to the reviews being written but in our circumstances decided it was best to book somewhere completely different.

Thanks for all your help TonyT and Peter of York.

Janet
Just an update for anyone else who is monitoring the state of affairs at the beach club. A week on from emailing First Choice I am still waiting for a reply, so have sent it again. I know they had the first one as I got the usual automated reply.

I will post again, if/when I eventually get a reply :!:

Pam
Hi ,may I suggest you copy off your e-mail and send it recorded delivery, that way you have a signature of acceptance plus you can track delivery the next afternoon by using Post Office Tracking system. Tonyt
Hi,
Well i,m not quite sure what to do now after reading the recent reports :( !!
We're not going until July 07 so i'm hoping things have improved. my question is: Are the rooms and beds clean?
I've been looking for another accomodation for us and to be honest the prices are similar just for self catering and b&b in bulgaria.
All i'm thinking is, that as long as the rooms are ok,we may as well keep the booking and save some extra money to eat out some nights. To be honest we've paid as much for sc in other countries and the food has been more expensive.
We also like to wander out and see other places and so don't always get the full benifit of the AI.
How many hotels are actually on the beach cos we like the beach but our daughter doesn't so it would be handy for us.
(Am I just trying to convince myself :? :?: :?: )
Hoping for a reply positive or negative
T.C
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.