Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Eileen, while your waiting for personal recommendations Click Here For our resort reports for the Algarve as they may help you whittle things down.

Hope this helps.
Vilamoura would fit the bill perfectly. Built round the marina and numerous golf course. Lovely flat stroll round the marin with plenty of places to eat. Lovely huge sandy beach too.

For hotels, if money is no problem try the Vilamoura Marinhotel - situated right on the marina and the beach. The Dom Pedro Marina is great (we stayed here) and also extremely close to the marina and the beach - try and upgrade to a sea view high floor room for superb views. There is also the Dom Pedro Golf and the Ampalius - both on the beach and close to the marina.

Apartment complexes tend to be a good distance away from the resort centre so probably would not be suitable.

Whatever you go for then probably best to opt for bed and breakfast or at least not an evening meal in the hotel every evening.

Pippa
eileenjoy,
Consider Lagos in the Western Algarve.Whilst the residential part of town is on a hill behind the town,the vast majority of tourist amenities are on the flat and, for those that aren't, there is a little tourist train which will take you up any hills.The Marina Rio hotel is a 4* establishment situated on the (flat)waterfront road(the Avenida)about a half mile from the centre of town.The hotel has ramp access if needed and there is a lift installed;unfortunately the sun terrace and pool are on the roof and can only be accessed via a flight of some twenty stairs.
As in most Algarvian resorts the pavements and pedestrianised areas are cobbled,but these are extremely well laid and should pose no problem for your mother.
Shout out if you'd like any further info.
Sagres ,does the little train run in April we have been to Lagos Feb/March time and never seen it.Does it start at Easter each year.Again we have seen it running in September but not October.
addict,
I think,as you suggest,that Easter is the accepted start of the tourist year on the Algarve.We have been in Lagos in April (every other month of the year,come to that :) )and the train has been running.Easter,this year,is about a week into April,I think,so I can't see there being any problem with the train.In any event,places like Dona Ana or Ponta da Piedade are only a €4 taxiride away and not really suitable for people with mobility problems.
Thanks so much for your advice, Pippa and Sagres.
I would prefer to go self catering to an apartment complex, but will check out the resorts you have mentioned.
Eileen :D
I don't know if this will help but we go to apartments in Praia do Vau which is between Praia da Rocha and Alvor they are just by the beach and right by the bus stop which will take you into Praia Da Rocha and Portimao .In Vau itself there are just a few restaurants and bars but it is only cheap to get a taxi to take you to Alvor if you do not want to stay there in an evening or go to Rocha .There are 2 sets of apartments we use 1 is the Coral do Vau apartments and the other is Jardim do Vau we tend to go to the one which has the best offer on at the time of booking.You can book the Jardim through the Algarve Select website or Coral do Vau through Style Holidays also you can book them through Booking.com.We will be going in Feb with my 83 year old Mother at one end of the scale and our 2 grandchildren of 5 and 2 at the other so you can see that we think it is suitable for all ages.I am sure that some of the people on this site get fed up of me going on about Vau but we just love it there and we have stayed at various other resorts on the Algarve
Eileen,
Have you had a look at Monte Gordo? It is in the eastern Algarve and has the flatest promenade and beach that runs for miles.
Many disabled people go here as it is good for wheelchairs and there are apartments and hotels on the beach front.
It has plenty of bars and restaurants and I'm sure you will find things for all of your tastes.
Pat
:glynis
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.