General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi Saint

Don't know that if this will help as we haven't actually been to either, but having shortlisted them both recently I did read around on them as much as possible and ended up discounting both.

Conclusions I came to were, that the Red Sea is probably better. Generally the facilities and reviews are superior to the DR, however it was the rooms in the end that put us off booking. It may not matter to you, and I even double checked with the travel agent, but in a room for 4 you basically get proper beds for 2 and the others are camp beds. I know I'm picky, but since you pay through the nose in the school holidays I did at least want a sofa bed for the kids. We decided that to book on the basis of kids clubs etc that they may not even use and compromise on the rooms was probably the wrong way round. However we are 'lucky' that our eldest will be 13, at 14 it is so difficult to get child places, so if you don't mind the bed situation, the Red Sea holiday village is a pretty good option i reckon. Also it wasn't much more to get a suite than a standard room.

Very tempted by the DR as for longhaul the price was good, however despite the fact that it's on the north of the island and technically safer during hurricane season, that doesn't mean it won't get hit and it could still be wet. If we were travelling without children we may have taken a calculated risk, but not with them.

Temperature? well we had temps of 50 in Turkey last year and we coped fine. My husband used to retreat to the room after lunch sometimes and watch DVDs on the laptop, but I have to say we didn't come home saying 'never again' because of the heat.

It is a nightmare trying to decide where to go to keep everyone happy. In the end we went for the Tropicana Grand Azure in Egypt, as it had the right room configuration and as importantly a good chance of having enough brits to rival the Russians. In Turkey last year there were probably no more than 30 Brits out of 1400 guests and we felt like fish out of water. While I don't like the stereotypical Brits abroad, the kids do like to make friends on holiday, so hopefully we've got it right this year!!

Good luck deciding- try going onto the individual forums and asking on there. Also go onto tripadvisor and the other review sites and read all the reviews. I know you have to read between the lines a bit but it will give you a good idea which way to jump.

Pam :)
We went to the one in Dom Rep and really enjoyed it. The facilities were excellent. We went as a couple but all the things for children to do were spot on and they all seemed to enjoy themselves. The food was good and the entertainment was good to watch aswell. We went in September 2007.

Although, maybe price up the HV in mexico, we went there last September and loved it even better. The entertainment was really amazing it varied for children and adults. Food was excellent. The hotel was in a good location not too far from town and all in all we had a wicked time. Hoping to go back this Sept.

x
Hi saint, my sister and i are off to the Hv Red Sea in aug and have been told temperatures can get unbearable. We have booked a swim up room, so hopefully if it gets to hot for us we can keep venturing back into our room. But having a pool just outside your door is great. We have in the past gone to the FC holiday village in lanzarote and at the time 6 adults and 5 kids we all loved it, with a leisurely 15 mins walk to the town. Hope you can decide which is best for your family. Sue.
Thanks for the replies. We went to the HV in Cozumel in Aug 2008 and despite reading some worrying reviews had an great time. Kids loved it all.

Although HV in Dom Rep looked good we too have opted for the HV Red Sea for Aug 2009. Asked for advice on the heat at this time of year and received lots of helpful replies from other holiday makers who have travelled to Sharm in August.

All things considered have taken the plunge and we are now really looking forward to the holiday.

Might see you there Sue.

Saint :sun2
Hi Saint we go to the HV Red Sea on the 1st aug for 2weeks, when do you go?
hi ya all the hv are really good facs are fab, i went to the one in majorca and also am a travel agent so get a lot of good feedback, red sea will be very hot late 30's in aug!
x
Red sea one has been amazing all the times I've been.

Quite hard to get at a decent price now though.
temps will be on average between 35c 95f to 42c 108f is it hot enough for you lot
NOt 100% on this but I wouldn't have thought that the Red Sea area would have been any hotter than the Caribbean (Dom Rep) at that time of year. I wouldn't go to the Dom Rep on the assumption it will be much cooler :que
The red sea area during the summer months will be hotter than dom rep but in dec,jul and feb will be hotter in the dom rep.

Red sea july 2007 temps

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/HESH/2007/7/29/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Dom rep July 2007 temps

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/MDBH/2007/7/29/MonthlyHistory.html

The dom rep will be very humid compared to the red sea and it will make it feel more uncomfortable compared to the red sea.
Thanks for the links but there doesn't seem to be much in it. On average 1deg difference :que
My sister and her family are out in Egypt at the moment and she said that the last couple of days it has reached 38c!! Too hot too sunbathe so they're spending a lot of time in the pool and sea!! :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.