Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
allowances 2006
29 Posts
can anyone tell me were is the best place to buy your duty free[ cigs and vodka] to bring home? at sunny beach or at the airport. can you buy brand name vodka at the resorts?and going would you buy at the airport or wait till you get to s/b. thanks
kiershay
Have a look here for some info.
Hi kiershay,

Don't forget that the Customs limits are low, as Bulgaria is a non-EU country, see HERE for UK Customs allowances for imports & HERE for Bulgarian Customs allowances.

Baldur
hi does anyone know how many cigarettes you can bring back per person and how many litres of alcohol each i cant't seem to find it. only 2 more sleeps. im really excited now thanks mel 8) 8)
hi mel , first of all have a great holiday in bulgaria :lol:

if you follow this link it will tell yiou exactly what you can bring back

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_InfoGuides&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_PROD_010220

cheers jason-andrea
Please note that by agreement with the EU, these are also the restrictions imposed by Bulgarian Customs as to what you can take OUT of Bulgaria. It follows that you can be stopped in Bulgaria at the airport and have them all confiscated and worse if you exceed the limit.

Peter
We were stopped in Bourgas Airport as we had 600 cigarettes in one bag. They said we were over the limit. When we explained that this was for 3 adults they were OK about it.
May I add to Peter's response, that you can also be stopped by Bulgarian Customs for taking more than the 200 allowance into Bulgaria. Tony
Correct Tony, I forgot that - thanks.

Peter
that was my argument last month in birmingham airport.iwanted to buy 1000 benson but as i was going to rhodes they would not let me buy them saying they are only available to those flying to non ec countries.when i poited out that you can only take 200 the chap just shrugged his shoulders and said i could buy at normal price.they did not sell fags on the plane either :roll: :shrug
you can take as many fags as you want into bulgaria as its not in the eu
you will have to show your boarding cards though,its just the coming back that your restricted to 200 etc.
steve
I am sorry to say you are wrong in your assumption that you can take any amout of Cigarettes into Bulgaria. Yes you show your boarding card to prove you are going to non-eu, this entitles you to duty free. If you care to log on to http://www.bcci.bg/border there you will find out about all allowances. Earlier in the year I spoke about a young couple who bought 1,000 cigs each at Gatwick then proceeded to buy another 1000 each on Balkan Flight. Customs were waiting. Over two hours of arguing the couple were offered either pay duty or go to the Prison until sorted out. Coach for Albena delayed for over 2 Hours. Police would not let it leave until business sorted out. Tonyt
Tony is quite correct. The full details of Bulgarian Customs Regulations in relation to imports into Bulgaria are HERE

The limits are -

1 litre of spirits with over 22 per cent volume alcohol content and 2 litres of wine or 2 litres of wine and 2 litres of frothy or fortified wine;
200 pieces of cigarettes or 100 cigarillos, or 50 cigars, or 250 grammes of tobacco for smoking;
500 grammes of coffee or 200 grammes of coffee extract;
100 grammes of tea or 40 grammes of tea extract;
50 grammes of perfumes and 250 ml of eau de toilette;

Peter
well you know more than british customs officers .
as 2 weeks ago a customs officer at east midlands airport said "oh yes sir you can take 1000 fags into bulgaria ,no problem.".
so we brought them and had no problem.
the site you pointed out does state that only 200 fags.
so why did british customs get it wrong?.
steve
proberbly on commission :lol:
thanks for all of the replies. quick as usual. only 1 more sleep taxi leaves mine at 4 o clock tomorrow afternoon. im really excited thanks again mel 8) 8) 8)
The link I provided above is from the Official website of the Bulgarian Customs Agency HERE, who must be presumed to know what they are talking about.

You will find the specific information about cigarettes and alcohol imported by tourists under Useful Information/passengers.

so why did british customs get it wrong?

Answer - Because the Officer concerned was advising on a matter outside his jurisdiction.

Peter
Hi swbono,

I really don't think that Bulgarian Customs would be at all impressed that you had been incorrectly advised by UK Customs - the current law in Bulgaria is 200 cigarettes in or out, so that's what they will apply.

Even after Bulgaria joins the EU, the situation is likely to remain the same, as far as import into the UK is concerned - that limit is still imposed on most of the countries which joined in 2004 - see the final half-dozen paragraphs HERE

Baldur
Why bother taking in Bensons anyway when you can get a packet of Victory Lights ( and many other varieties) for 2.60Lv.
There must be at least 8 different varieties of Victory cigs and all carry tar/nicotine info on the packs so you should be able to find one that matches your normal smoke.

John
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.