Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Please allow them 28 days to reply.

When did you post your letter?
Hi Becki - I empathise with you totally and appreciate the total stress you went through. Several years ago, we took our neighbour's children to Tunisia for 2 weeks. Because I wanted everything to be as easy as possible, I booked a private taxi through Panorama - our holiday company. It was perfect on arrival. We were in the hotel well before the rest of the arrivals. Day before departure, I went to Panorama's office to confirm the taxi and time of departure. Day of departure, we were waiting for our anticipated taxi at 7.45. We were still waiting at 8.00 when the bus arrived to collect the other departing guests - and 30 minutes later when another bus arrived to collect another group. I then tried to phone the 2 emergency phone numbers - no answer. Manager of the hotel then phoned his contact number and was told that they would get back to us in 10 minutes. He tried the number 30 minutes later - no answer!! I was panicking then as it was now 9.30, so jumped in the first available taxi and gave the driver all the dinars we had left to get us to the airport ASAP, as our plane was due to leave at 10.30. He certainly broke the speed limit and it was so very stressful as I was anticipating the plane leaving without us - and knew that there was no availability on the next plane out - this had been a casual comment from the rep. at the Service Centre when we called to confirm the taxi. Dashed through the airport - Check-in was waiting for us - begged the queue at the three desks if we could go first (as i knew the the next departure was 11.50)- received glares, comments about leaving everything to the last minute - and in one case, abuse from a delightful inebriate 'lady'. We managed to catch the flight, as it had actually been held up for the "missing passengers and again we were on the receiving end of dirty looks and comments. I was totally shattered and absolutely furious.
Panorama's answer to my letter, was a cheque to the value of the missing taxi fare. Never ever again would I trust Panorama! Jenny x
No Becki, it certainly isn't trivial, it is utterly appalling that they can mess up something as important as that and they need to be reminded of their responsibility to their customers. They also need to ensure that the telephone numbers given out actually work. I'm very lucky as I know the cost of the taxis and never book a transfer, preferring to grab a cab to and from the airport, but if you're not sure of the distances involved and then get overlooked the stress would be dreadful.
Hi Becki

TC may view you're complaint as trivial.

TC may well defend themselves by stating they sent a taxi, albeit an administration error, however, you made your flight, therefore where have you been inconvenienced?

I'm not saying TC is correct in their action; this is just an outsider's opinion.

When you sent your letter, did you state your expectations in resolving the matter, or was your letter a general "moan"?

I'm not being disrespectful, but when one is complaining about anything, it's imperative the complainant states clearly their expectations is resolving the matter.
I think it's the panic and stress involved in such a scenario - I'd have been flapping as well.
Hi Becki,

I think you should be having an apology at the very least and as a gesture of goodwill they may send you a voucher off another holiday if you keep at them.

Certainly, they need to look at the problem of you not being able to contact them.

However, I am inclined to agree with Driver02. From the TO's point of view, they did send a taxi for you, albeit at a time you were not made aware of and also they will question why you waited from 07.45 till 08.30 before you tried to call them, having seen others be picked up.

They may also quote their T & C's, most TO's have a disclaimer saying that it is your responsibility to be at the airport in time for your flight, both ways.

The TO I work for gives departure details in writing, individually, (no checking boards or receiving them verbally from the rep) on a special note with instructions to allow 20 minutes either side of pick up time stated. After 20 minutes, they can get worried!

They have 28 days to reply. Lets us know how you get on and if you are not happy with the response, write again and again until you are.

Louise
and also they will question why you waited from 07.45 till 08.30 before you tried to call them, having seen others be picked up.

She doesn't anything in her original post about others being picked up. That was another poster.
Definately not trivial because I suspect your insurance would not cover you for missing a flight in this way. Policies I've read mention failure of public transport or breakdown of the car (or even traffic jams) causing you to be late but I've not noticed any that mention failure of a packaged operator to do properly what you paid them for!

They might argue about why you waited 45 minutes before trying to contact them. You could ask why, when the taxi driver didn't pick you up the first time, they didn't think it odd and waited for you to contact them. The Supply of Goods and Services Act requires them to exercise reasonable care and skill - supplying you with out of date contact numbers, sending the first taxi at the wrong time with no proper instructions and then not querying why you had not been collected all seems to fall within the scope of that phrase.
Oops, sorry Becki, I had a blonde moment!
:lol:

Talk about nearly missing your flight !! well I did miss my flight :cry:

To give you all a good laugh heres what happened, I checked the my flight details told my husband we had loads of time, made lunch even put on the afternoon film feeling so chilled and looking forward to our holiday. We set off me driving heading for Stansted I said no rush we can take our time driving. We got to the airport parked the car caught the airport terminal bus and arrived inside , instructed my husband he would have plenty of time to read the paper etc, we headed for check in after glancing at the screen displaying flight details etc , still not noticing I had made a mistake on the time.

We stood at the check in no one there , I fiddled around seing if my hand luggage fitted in the required size guage it did, still no one at check in, I said to my husband so quiet I think well have the plane to our selves nearly, he said seems funny check haven't opened yet.

A man carrying a clip board approached and said to me excuse me maddam are you flying tonight I said oh yes he said where to I said the destination he then replied sorry but you won't be its already left!!!!!!

My husbands face was a picture he didn't say a word I waited for the outburst but nothing except oh well never mind. Amazing eh.

Our flights had been for 17.00 check in at 15.00 but I had looked at the 17 thought it was 7 oclock to fly out and 15 being 5 to check in. Im not blonde either!!!! appologies to any blondes for that :lol:

The air line did offer flights the next day at an extra cost but we decided not to bother, phoned and cancelled our accomadation caught the bus back to the car park and sat in the car and ate the packed sarnies I had taken for the journey.

We were able to have a laugh about it, but the senario of missing flights and all the implications can be so stressful . From now on each time we fly or holiday my husband deals with the arrangements Im not allowed :roll: can't understand why not :wink:
Motto is check and check again!!!!!!! Then get hubby to check!!!!!

axwhale
axwhale,

Your post did make me smile, especially the bit about eating your butties in the car! You didn't lose your sense of humour :D

Its not uncommon for folks to read the 24 hour clock incorrectly. It happens a lot out here is resort, guests reading welcome meeting times, flight times and transfer pick up times wrongly.

Same as you, 15.00 & 17.00 are the usual ones.

Louby
Or as one of our team did...............go 24 hours late due to them flying at midnight. :shock:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.