Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Hi doonhamer :wave:

Thank you for you reply.

Yes it has to be Amsterdam, but not necessarily by Eurostar.
We are now looking at flights for them from Heathrow.
It's their nearest airport. And we are also looking at weekdays too, to see if it's much cheaper.

I was hoping to find the hotel I stayed in Westropa, now called Tulip Inn Centre (I think) so many different Tulip Inn's.

It was next to the Marriott, and opposite the American Hotel.
On the same road as Vondel Park, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the road. And it's near Leidseplein.
Do you know if it's Tulip Inn Centre or Art?

Thank you

Karen
Karen, the old Westropa was on Nassaukade, number 387-390. The hotel currently at that address is the Eden Amsterdam Centre; the website is here:
http://www.edenhotelgroup.com/en/amsterdam/eden-amsterdam-centre-hotel/index.html

Lastminute.com are offering 2 nights there, 2 adults from LHR, 8th August, from £592.80.

Hope that helps
Hi doonhamer

That's not a bad price.
From what I remember it was in a good location for the Diamonds, Museums, Leidsplain etc... Do you agree?
I am trying to work out the best location for my parents, they are pensioners, but very active, love walking.

Do you know where Inntel Hotel is? I stayed there once on a works do one Christmas, is it nearer to Centraal Station?

Thanks for your help.

Karen ;)
Karen, the Eden Amsterdam Centre is only afew minutes walk from Museumplein, with the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum & The Stedelijk Museum; it's only across the canal from Leidseplein, but far enough to be quiet at night; I think there is a diamond merchant on Mueseumplein - are they looking to buy, or just see the process from start to finish? (If they're looking to buy something, I have a contact at the Amsterdam Diaimond Centre, on Rokin).
I know of 2 Inntells, but one is out at Zaandam, so I doubt it will be that one. The other one is the Golden Tulip Inntel, on Nieuwezijds Kolk - closer to Centraal Station, certainly, and some 600 yards fro Dam, but a bit further away from the museums, etc. Nice hotel though, and handy for the trams.
Hi again doonhamer :wave:

No they are just going to look at the process from start to finish.
My hub bought me a lovely watch with a small diamond in, (Costers)

I have found two hotels I like the sound off.

Swissotel and Rembrandt Centrum.

Do you opinion on these hotels?
I am guessing they are central enough.
I am going to check out the Marriott too,but we need to book by tomorrow.

It was more likely the Inntel on Nieuwezijds Kolk we stayed.

Thank you, you have been a great help.
Karen, The Swissotel gets excellent reviews (never stayed there myself, though). It's very central, on Damrak (the main drag between Centraal Station & Dam). Probably a very good choice for your parents.
Fantastic, Swissotel it is. :)

Wish I was going :(

Thanks doonhamer ;)
No probs mate :wave: Hope they enjoy themselves. if you/they need any more info, just shout.
Hi doonhamer

It's all booked and paid for. ;)

I did think about the Marriott, but the Swissotel reviews were so good.
Though I might try the Marriott on my Anniversary next year :tup

I am going to buy a Amsterdam Guide for them, and suggest they visit The Anne Frank House, Heineken Factory, Van Gogh Museum, Costers (Diamonds) Cheese/Wine Canal Boat Trip (cannot remember exact name)
Anything you can recommend?

Hopefully you can recommend a nice restaurant, maybe Argentine Steak.

I better go and get a new guide book.

:cheers
My favourite museum is the Amstelkring, also known as Ons Lieve Vrouwe op Solder (Our Lady in the Attic), a 17th Century Catholic church, hidden over 2 floors in 2 canal houses, as well as the canal houses themselves, restored to their 17th Century glory(?)
As for restaurants, I always like to visit de Kantijl en Tiger, an Indonesian restaurant on Spui, which can get very busy, so book first.
If Indonesian doesn't appeal, the restaurant of the Roode Leeuw (Red Lion), on Damrak is very nice - the menu is here: http://www.restaurantderoodeleeuw.nl/menukaartENG%2006-2008.htm
Hello doonhamer :wave:

No Indonesian is fine, they enjoy Indonesian food.
I will make of list of places to eat.
And the 17th century church.

Think I have it all planned.

One more question, do you know of a Bar, near Leidseplein, a bit like a bikers bar, they have Motor Bike seat stools?
Wondered if it was still there and you knew the name of it.
It's only small, and had an upstairs with just one small table and a couple of chairs. I had many a JD in there :cheers

You have been a great help.

Karen ;)
Karen, would that have been the Britannia? If so, I think it's still a bar, but with a new identity as is the case with so many of the old bars :(
I don't remember the name, it was run by Dutch staff.
And a great place, they stayed open late, in the end it was just me and hubby in there :cheers
Any recommendations or web sites for a hotel in Amsterdam, there will be 4 couples in our 40's. We would like something central but don't want to bust the bank. :que
I have stayed at the Eden which is next to the Amstel River. It was a reasonable hotel and fairly central.

Kath x
Merged with existing topic which may have some recommendations in earlier posts.

luci :wave
Go to http://www.booking.com both Victoria Hotel (4 star hotel 1 min walk from Central Station) and NH Hotel Krasnapolsky (5 star hotel in Dam Square) have special offers on at the moment - Victoria double room for about £389 for 3 nights and Krasnapolsky £289 for 3 nights, we have just booked some friends into the Krasnapolsky for 3 nights next month and there are 5 rooms left wish it was us going again but we are off to Orlando in Oct and had a week in Marmaris Turkey in July :) so even at this price cannot afford a trip to Amsterdam this year :(

Polly
hi,

I wanna go to amsterdam for my birthday which is in december. We would like to go on the 19th december preferably in the evening from a london airport and come back on the sunday 21st. Can anyone recommend any cheap flights/hotels/packages please? We have a budget of about £150 maybe £200 each. & I would like to stay pretty much central to everything.

Thanks for any help :)
You should be able to get a very good class of hotel in the centre of town plus flights especially with the low cost carriers well within your budget if you are thinking of booking now. Depends on what London Airport you wish to travel from.

Have a look at http://www.expedia.com for packages with flights.

Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.