Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Which Bastion Hotel are you looking at :que
There's the Bastion Deluxe Hotel Amsterdam on Van Marwijk Kooystraat, or the Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Centrum on Nachtwachtlaan 11, or the Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Noord on Rode Kruisstraat 28.
There is, however, only one Owl Hotel, which is in a great location on Roemer Visscherstraat :)

If it was me, and going on location alone, I'd go with the Owl, as its nicely placed for just about everything.
If anyone is looking for a cheap basic hotel 5 mins walk from central station i would strongly reccommend the globe, it is quite basic but is cheap, clean and the staff are friendly and helpfull plus it has the biggest bar in the dam downstairs which is open 24hours. The food is also basic but nice and the breakfasts are great, me and my friends have been back to the globe 3 times now and have never had a problem with it. hope this helps someone

matchstick man
Hi jimbob

Last time i was in amstedam (october this year), it was, on average, 5euro for a large beer which is over a pint and about 3 euro for a small beer which is smaller than a pint but bigger than a half. We mostly went to the city centre bars though so will of been paying tourist prices i have been told if you go off the beaten track a bit you can pay alot less in some more local bars it just depends if you want to be where its lively which is worth paying extra for in my opinion. Many bars also do offers on buckets of bottles etc but they don't really work out that much cheaper they just look good.

hope that helps
Hi there

I have just booked a 3 night stay at Hotel Vondel and just wondered if anyone has stayed here before and could give me their review? I have booked into a executive room with jacuzzi so any room information would be grand.

Thanks in advance,
C
hi there my son has a question for you all can anyone tell him of cheap flights from birmingham to the dam and a cheap hotel please somewhere lively and central please thanks
Hi madge,

I have always found jet2 the best for budget flights, i can't give you a price though as i don't know your details but if you go on thier website you should have a quote in minutes. As far as the accomodation goes i would reccommend hotel the globe which is just on the edge of the red light district and within walking distance of all the main tourist features. The hotel is very basic but reasonably cheap, very clean and the staff are very friendly (it also has the longest bar in amstedam which is open 24hours). Just type it into google and im sure you will find it. Alternativly there are two hotel comparison sites below that you could try, hope iv helped

http://www.hotelscombined.com/City/Amsterdam.htm
Hi,
Going to Amsterdam with hubby the beginning of november. Doing a mini cruise with P & O ferries and having an extra night in Amsterdam. Have been looking and reading lots of reviews on different hotels around the centre but all have mixed reviews.
Was wondering if anyone could recommend anywhere please?

We will be getting dropped off by the bus near central station around 10.30am and getting picked up the next day around 5.30pm. So we were thinking of maybe staying near the station so we can leave our cases at the hotel the next morning and its easier to pick back up when going home.

Any ideas of what to see also in such a short time?

any recommendations for a nice restaurant for our evening meal?

Many thanks.
The Singel Hotel http://singelhotelamsterdam.nl/welcome/ is very handy for the station, I've stayed there several times.
Plenty of things to do, and places to eat - can you give me some idea of what you like to eat/what your interests are (art, architecture, history, etc.) and maybe we can help
Going to Amsterdam in 2 weeks on a day visit with 2 children (10 and 7). We'd like to do the Anne Frank Museum but cannot get the online booking to work. Would we be best just to go directly there and is it easy to get to. Plan to do a canal cruise too. Can anyone recommend a good one for children or are they all similar?
The canal cruises are much of a muchness, and most leave from the quayside on Rokin, a straight walk up from Centraal Station. However, my preferred cruise leaves from the Muntplein quay, further up Rokin; there's not a lot in it. Are you going by coach? if so, wait & see where you get dropped off (it's usually either Centraal Station or Museumplein) and go to the closest one.
As for the Anne Frank Huis, unless you go early or late there's always a queue, so I'd suggest you persevere with the online booking, as it will ave you some time.
Hi I have never been to Amsterdam and have booked my flights for August (3 nights) anyone stayed at the Hotel CC? I am thinking of booking this Hotel.
Any advice on Amsterdam appreciated as haven't been :que

Cheers
Liz
Hi, no reports on this hotel on our site (perhaps you could be the first when you get back?)

Reports here though...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g188590-d1641968-Reviews-Hotel_CC-Amsterdam_Noord_Holland.html

Will write more later

ATB,J.
Mods, thanks for merging... Liz, you'll find plenty of stuff throughout the pages of this thread... happy reading!!

Please feel free to ask any more specific questions

ATB,J.
going to Amsterdam in December, does anyone know if there are still left luggage lockers at centraal station or not?
Staying at Hotel CC anyone know if I am in a good area? Also never been to Amsterdam and am going for my 40th so any ideas of best places to eat drink and be merry??
Your hotel is on Warmoesstraat, quite close to Centraal Station and the tram terminus, as well as being an easy walk to loads of shops & bars. In terms of palces to go, you will have a lot to choose from, but if you give some idea of what you like, people may be able to suggest some places
Thanks for reply, we like all types of food especially Med or Greek. Like Indian, tai, Chinese and will have a go at pretty much anything.
We are wanting to experience all of what Amsterdam has to offer, never been heard loads about it and can't wait to go!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.