Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Kazibabesuk

The Novotel is OK, we stayed there on our first trip. We wouldn't stay there again though but that is down to it's location.
It's pretty much on the outskirts of the City, infact it's the end stop of one of the tram lines........
It's not too many stops to the Rembrantsplein which isn't so bad but it still a fair way from the action. I don't think the trams will be running on Queens Day (Celebrating Sat 29th April this year), the trains will be but you'll need to look into the trams. (We are going for Queens days but staying centrally)

A beer, depends where you go but it can be anything from €4.20 - €8.00.

This pub has prices online but it is one of the more reasonably priced places in the Dam, it's great for watching sport too but I guess you won't be too bothered about that!
http://www.cocosoutback.com/drinks.htm

Food, it's down to what you want to eat, there are places for all budgets.

A good cappuccino in a coffee shop will only be around €2.00
Hi Private Pyle...... thanks for the info. Getting all excited now :pele
Hi, me and my mates (12 of us) are heading over next wkd to amsterdam, staying @ the City Hotel Utrechtsestraat, any one know where the hotel is and how to get there from central station??? any advice on bars/clubs/attractions to visit for a group of lads would be apprciated! cheers
kneeby,

That hotel is in the Rembrantplein. Walk out the front of centrall station, grab either tram 4 or 9 and get out at Rembrantplein. No idea where yu from there to find the hotel mind you!

As for where to go, to be honest it is more of a blast to find your own way around the bars and clubs, everyone has differing tastes so recommending places is difficult.

I posted a link a few posts above for a bar we like - Cocos Outback (just off Rembrantplein) which is good for beer/sports and the food isn't too bad to be honest either :)
We are hoping to go to Amsterdam as 2 couples the last weekend in September this year, flying on the Friday and returning on the Sunday.

I don't know where to begin - do I book seperate flights and hotels, which wensites to look at, do I book in advance or nearer the time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nicole
I would say definitely book flights and hotel seperately and book as early as possible - especially the flights.
All the low cost airlines have flights out for September now,they tend to just go up and up in price the nearer to your departure date.
There are many good hotels in Amsterdam.Personally we never pay a fortune as we don't spend much time in the hotel.
There are many hotel reviews on this site. Also look at Trip Advisor and Holidays Uncovered.
You will really enjoy Amsterdam I'm sure :D
I'd agree with Caz and Dave.

Book your flights EARLY but check all carriers from your chosed airport, where are you flying from? We go from Leeds so have a choice of Jet2 (supposedly low cost) or KLM. You'll be surprised at how often these two have the same prices (KLM sometimes cheaper than 'low cost' Jet2). We probably use KLM more as they have a better flight time for us when going out.

Hotels, depends on your budget and what you want to do, but there are stacks of search sites around.
HI, thanks for that. We are flying from Manchester, or Liverpool. Jet2 seem to cheapest.

AS for accomodation, well we want to be central for the night life really. Something nice, clean, about 3 star. Have been looking at The Bellevue. BUdget, well was hoping to pay about £300, going over on the Friday night and coming back Sunday.
Hiya, I've just got back from Amsterdam, me and my boyfriend...

We stayed at the Frisco Inn on Beursstrat which worked out at 30euros per person per night.... it was extremely clean, had TV with some English Channels, had a bar downstairs with great friendly staff, and literally 10 seconds either way to the red light district and the Damrak....
http://www.friscoinn.com

We saw the Anne Frank House (a must being a HUGE Anne Frank fan), Madame Tussads (we got 5euros off entry each as we had vouchers from staying at Frisco Inn) which was good fun, Heineken Experience which was a BLAST and a must for anyone going to Amsterdam (take tram 16 to Heinekenplein - you cant miss the big sign) - 10euro entry, and you get 3 free (half) beers and a very cool free gift.... you make up the price of your entry just in freebies!! LOL... we also went on a canal boat... 6.50euro with the Tour boats on the Damrak - v.cheap, and we saw a lot!!Get a seat on the left hand side when facing the front of the boat....

Restaurant recommendations are definately Gringos Argentinian Steak House - fantastic steak and the best pepper sauce I have ever tasted (when coming from Friscos Inn, cross the Damrak and go through the alley between Lemon Grass chinese and Teasers, then turn right and keep on going down the street for about 5 mins until you see Gringos on your left)....by the way, the chippy next to the Lemon Grass makes great chips!!!

The famous Floating Chinese Restaurant is ok... the setting is amazing and by far the best decorated chinese restaurant I have ever been in..... if you know your chinese, thai and vietnamese then you're sound... mains cost around 25euro and come with fried rice (the best fried rice ive ever had) - theres also a mini banquet which seems a bit cheaper (of which we didnt understand what anything was), so if like me, you're happier with beef fried rice meaning just that, then just find another chinese restaurant....
To anyone interested, the floating chinese is in Oosterdok... facing central station, turn right and go past the trams and buses etc... you cant miss the big Botel (hotel shaped like a boat), go past this and the Chinese is behind it...
The webiste is http://www.seapalace.nl/

Hope this was useful to anybody!! If you need more info, then dont hesitate to ask :)
Hi Pinklady

Going to Amsterdam the first week in May so thanks for the tips.

Glad you enjoyed.

Linda
hi I after some help.
I want to book a suprise holiday to Amsterdam and want help !
dont really want to book fight & then find hotel on arrival. want to have it sorted all before we go.. any help of who to book with and cheap deals..would be grreat
did you find a short break in amsterdam?
Iam wanting to book a suprise short break there for me & hubby in may? any help or advice would be great :P
I am going in September for 2 nights with 10 mates (age range 37 to 55).

Could someone please recommend a reasonably priced hotel, preferably near to Central Station.

Cheers, Mick
Anyone stayed in the Greenhouse effect? Going there 3 weeks today for my stag doo.... :D
We are just back from a 4 night stay in Amsterdam, stayed in the Albus Grand Hotel (I have wrote a review in the hotel section) and really enjoyed ourselves. When we arrived on Sunday they weather was cold but dry on Monday in rained all day but the rest of the stay was lovely weather.

When we arrived on Sunday we were shocked about the amount of litter that was on the streets but later that night we found out that it was the Queens birthday celebrations the day before where there is street parties and also everyone was allowed a stall to sell there rubbish so that accounted for it, on Monday it was very clean.

We visited Anne Franks house, a must. The Heineken experience which we were surprised to find we had stayed there for 2 1/2 hours which was very enjoyable. We also did the red light district tour which was very good, we did not want to go through this ourselves even although we were told it was very safe but it was interesting finding out the history of the area and it was funny seeing the normal houses and churches in the same area.

Because of the lovely weather we enjoyed walked about the quiet streets along the canals.

We loved staying in Amsterdam

Linda
Mick
We stayed at the Luxor hotel - about five minutes walk from the station,just near the red light district.
It was nice a clean,a decent breakfast and in a great location. Cost about £28 per night per person.
Carolyn
We stayed in the Luxor on our last visit to Amsterdam, lovely little hotel, clean, cheap, good location near to Central Station, friendly staff.

Polly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.