America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Babs
It will get dark quite early in November which will limit your sightseeing quite a bit.

When I went to NYC in 2008 there wasn't a lot to see at ground zero, it was just one big building site but I believe the new towers are now taking shape. Something not to be missed is St. Paul's Chapel which is facing Church Street opposite the east side of World Trade Center site. It was used as place of respite for ground zero rescue and recovery workers and the various messages and tokens from relatives of the missing are extremely moving.

Many people give the Empire State Building a miss because of the long queues and opt for the Top of The Rock at the Rockefeller Center. I went up TOTR late afternoon and watched the lights come on all over the city and the views (including the Empire State Building) were awesome. If you choose to go to the top of either it will be extremely cold, but worth it. I don't think the Christmas tree lights at the Rockefeller Center are switched on until the 30th of November but you will be able to see people skating at the ice rink at it's base. It's located just a few minutes walk from the madness that is Times Square.

You really won't have time to visit the Statue of Liberty but a good way of seeing it is to take the Staten Island Ferry, it's free and you get a good view of the statue on your way to Staten Island and you get some great views of the Manhatten skyline on the way back. If you are quick getting off of the boat when arriving in Staten Island you can catch the same ferry back to Manhatten. You aren't then a long way from the ground zero site so depending on how much time you have both could be accomplished on the morning of your second day.

There is so much to see in NYC and with not much time I think you will just have to decide on two or three major sites otherwise you will be rushed off of your feet.

Judith
Thanks Judith, in an ideal world I would have liked longer in NY (hubby is relieved it's only the one day as he says I can't do too much damage to the credit card!) but the nature of the trip leaves no leeway. I think the best we can do is to decide on 2 or 3 things that we really want to see and just leave the rest for another time. Hopefully we can do a Broadway Show - quite fancy Wicked but not sure if hubby would like it.
Babs

Admittedly you haven't give yourselves much time in NYC(I'm guessing it's fitting in with some cruising) but even in one day you will be able to see a few things that will give you some memories.

Have a great trip.

Judith
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.