Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Lisa, as you know, it's only you who can decide what's best for you but imo, I wouldn't bother with the anti-malaria tablets. We were told the same as you a few years ago when we visited the North of the island - the risk is almost non-existent as we were staying in a tourist resort. Having said that, we did do a 'Monster truck Safari' which took us through lush green scenery and off the beaten track but we had no problems. We took the usual anti mosquito remedies and had a few minor bites but def no sign of Malaria. We went to Mexico a couple of years ago, without medication for Malaria and we're back to the Dom Rep in August and haven't even considered taking the anti-Malarial medication. Let us know what you decide.
hi, lisa ,obviously only you can make this descision but we have been to cuba twice and mexico twice and never had any jabs, we are hoping to go to dom rep next year (having op on my back this year) and we will not have any jabs it is safe enough in the resort areas.
I never bother with anti-malaria protection in the Caribbean region as the risk is small, but as the others have mentioned, it's a personal decision. It's only advisory, not madatory but you should always seek the most up to date information from your doctor. I'm off to Kenya in 2 weeks, that's a different story and will be taking Malarone (most expensive, but least side effects). I've just had all my jabs updated (5 of them!) as it's 10 years since I last had them. It's worth keeping them up to date wherever you are travelling in the world (Hep A+B, Typhoid, Tetanus and Diptheria). I've also have Yellow Fever as well, I feel like a pin cusion!

Darren
Thanks for some insight everyone. We've been to a few island before and never bothered with any jabs at all, but DR is the first we've been to with a 'risk' of malaria.

Malerone is the one she said she would prescribe, and that it's around the 50 quid mark. Good to hear you've told thats the one with the least side effects Darren, if we do decide to take them.

Lisa
LisaMJ,

Malarone is the one that is clinically proven to have the least side effects, it's not just what people say (got 3 boxes of them infront of me ready for 2 weeks time!). The cheapest place I found them is Boots.com. Just download an order form from their website, fill it in and send your private presciption off to them. You start taking them 2 days before you travel, for the duration of your holiday and a week after you get back. For a 2 week holiday, that's 23 tablets. They cost £48.30 (delivered) from Boots.com, my local chemist quoted £72 for the same. Some of the other tablets you have to start taking weeks before and carry on for weeks afterwards. Again, it's important you discuss it and get the most up to date information from your doctor.

Darren
hi,iv been to dom 7 times,and only took malaria the first time....never again,we were all rough,and my little boy awfull,my advice stasy well clear and enjoy you holidAY :wave:
birdy.1966,

That's personal choice birdy and you have to weigh up the risks and seek advice from your doctor. Personally, I don't take malaria prophylaxis when visiting the Caribbean region as the risk is very small. Having just come back from Kenya, I wouldn't dream of going there without malaria protection. Bear in mind if you do contract malaria and didn't take precautions, it would be an interesting (and short) call to your insurance company!!

Darren
We've decided to play it safe..... we had already got Chloroquine syrup for our baby son, he had his first dose this morning, and touch wood, so far no problems at all. As a last minute thing we have decided to go for the Malarone recommended by the travel nurse for ourselves. We have done our research and spoken to several people inc. friends and family who have taken it before, all who had no probs with side effects - as Dazbo says it's the one with the least side effects. This is the first Caribbean destination we have been to which carries a malaria risk. Although it's a small risk, we figured we'll take Malarone, rather than sit there worrying if we do get bitten, especially as Malaria is found in the Bavaro area.

Lisa x
Please remember you should seek the advice of a health professional rather than that of forum members. By all means read of other people's experiences but please don't base your own decision on those experiences.
We have been all over the Caribbean and always had the recommended jabs but on our previous 2 visits to the Dom Rep we didn't bother with malaria tabs, but we go for a third time on the 27th May and have decided on taking Chloroquine this time.

I just don't want to take the risk for me it's just not worth it..
We leave for the Do. Rep on April 27th and are going to start our Chloroquine (Avloclor) tomorrow evening, this will be our 6th time and have always taken them.

Its just not worth the risk as puds has mentioned.
I havent read through all the replies so sorry if you already have this info...We have visited the Dom Rep 4 times and each time we take Avloclor...but on our last visit I discoverd Vitamin B1 it is a natural mosquito repellent...you take one a day for a week prior to departure and then one a day whilst there...I never got bit once on our last visit..in fact done of us did...but I did still take my Avloclor just in case but I didnt continue with it when I got home because I hadnt been bitten at all...Also Avon SSS dry oil spray has an ingredient that repels them. Hope that helps. :tup
Thanks but already been and come back :-)

Decided to take Malarone in the end with not one side effect. Baby took chloroquine syrup, again with no side effects.

Lisa xx
Can i just ask what makes you think that you will be ok just because you are staying in a tourist resort? mosquito's don't care who they bite, they go for the locals and tourists!

I have been to India many times, and have always taken antimalarial drugs, and will be doing again when i visit DR.

Even if it is a low risk, the risk is still there! Malaria is horrible, as i know of two people who unfortunetly caught it, and one of them sadly died.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.