Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Off to St Pauls Bay in a couple of weeks, we haven't been for a few years (4 or 5) so looking forward to it
I'm not going this year, but do miss it and would definitely return :tup
Hi doonhamer :wave:
Off to St Pauls Bay in a couple of weeks, we haven't been for a few years (4 or 5) so looking forward to it

We hadn't been up to the St Pauls Bay / Bugibba area for a few years and we popped up in April, the square has changed a bit since we were last there.

I remember you mentioning that you had stayed at the Coastline however I think you said something about looking at the Seashells Suncrest Resort is that where you are going or have you chosen somewhere different?
I am of twice this year. once with my mum/sister/sister's Oh at the end of June and my regular albeit slightly earlier trip in Sept/Oct this year. Staying in Qawra both times.
My mum - 90 this year is off again in October to the Santana in Qawra. She has been many times and just loves it and most importantly she feels safe on her own.

We love Malta too - haven't been for 4 years though.

Pippa
Pippa wrote:
My mum - 90 this year is off again in October to the Santana in Qawra. She has been many times and just loves it and most importantly she feels safe on her own.

Pippa

Wow kudos to your mam Pippa, good for her :tup
Graham, we DID look at Seashells, but the dates didn't work for us, so we ended up with the Bella Vista - mixed reviews, but we'll give it a go
The Bella Vista has always had very mixed reviews, if you get a room that has a decent view it won't be so bad, it is very handy for the park, Kennedy Grove is literally just over the road.

If you go out the hotel turn right there is a decent supermarket just a couple of minutes walk away, you can also go this way and up and across to the Bugibba Square area quicker than walking all the way around Qawra prominade if you wish.

If you are taking the bus you get a good choice of all the routes from the stops out to the right at the roundabout area.
We just booked flights yesterday for us and 2 friends travelling in October.

Now we're trying to work out the best place to stay for us....

We want to do a day trip to Gozo and would like to spend more time exploring Valletta as we've only ever gone in the daytime. Possibly taking an early evening visit, exploring the city and eating there before returning back to our hotel.

Not too sure on the new bus timetables though.

I've looked at hotels in Sliema and the reviews are extremely mixed - we don't want internal rooms and are looking for Bed & Breakfast basis at around €350 per couple.

We've always stayed in Qawra/Bugibba and found it suited our purposes but have heard in Sliema it's not always possible to get on the buses to Valletta?

Any recommendations?
We want to do a day trip to Gozo and would like to spend more time exploring Valletta as we've only ever gone in the daytime. Possibly taking an early evening visit, exploring the city and eating there before returning back to our hotel.

Not too sure on the new bus timetables though.

The last bus to Qawra/Bugibba should leave Valletta around 00:35 although I noticed on our recent visit that the timetables weren't being strictly adhered too, so you would be better going for a bus around midnight just to be safe, this of course might change when eventually a new bus operator takes over the running of the service.

Yes the buses can be pretty full going to and via Sliema, this can vary depending on time of day, there is also a water taxi that can take you across from Sliema to Valletta.

For Gozo you could go DIY and take the bus up to Cirkewwa and take the ferry across to Gozo then use the local buses to explore at your leisure or even negotiate a price with one of the local taxis that will be there for a personal day trip.

There are also some other options you might consider, here are just a few

http://www.maltasightseeing.com/EN/content/13/gozo%20tour
http://www.captainmorgan.com.mt/gozo-safari?l=1
http://www.maltagozoexcursions.com/

I have personally used this company several times and can recommend them
http://gozopridetours.com/
Kiltman HT Mod wrote:

For Gozo you could go DIY and take the bus up to Cirkewwa and take the ferry across to Gozo then use the local buses to explore at your leisure or even negotiate a price with one of the local taxis that will be there for a personal day trip.

There are also some other options you might consider, here are just a few

http://www.maltasightseeing.com/EN/content/13/gozo%20tour
http://www.captainmorgan.com.mt/gozo-safari?l=1
http://www.maltagozoexcursions.com/

I have been looking at the local bus timetables for Gozo, they aren't as tour friendly as the buses around Malta, as there is often only 1 bus per hour on each route, or sometimes even less frequent.

On the hop-on hop off buses (City Sightseeing is now also available on Gozo - although mixed as two routes which makes it more complicated) to make the most of it you have to be on the first bus from Mgarr in the morning.
Hi Graham

We decided it's better we stay in an area we're already familiar with so we're off back to Qawra. We've chosen the Il Palazzin Hotel (situated opposite the entrance to Club Salina Wharf and heading in the direction of the Soreda Hotel and the Welcome Inn).

The hotel has had some decent reviews on trip advisor and there are no internal rooms. We wanted it as cheap as possible and we've confirmed at 280 EUR for 7 nights B+B per couple in seaview rooms as long as we're high enough up and with the 2 harbour Latini cruise / 10 creeks thrown in.

At least being in Qawra we know we can get on the buses with no problem at the starting point. For our trip to Gozo we will book with one of the local operators like last time. I think we paid 10 EUR per person which included the transfer to the port (paid 4.60 EUR for the ferry crossing separately) and for the organised minibus tour on arrival in Gozo. A full day out and very enjoyable. This time though, we will wait until we reach Xlendi Bay to have our lunch as we really liked this area.

We've never done the Hop On Hop Off tours but think it will be more beneficial for us to buy the weekly bus ticket on arrival. Can we buy these on the bus or does it have to be at the office?
Glad you have got it all sorted, that sound a good price for the hotel, I know where the hotel is and it is a nice walk if go down and around the promenade or you can go up over the back in to the centre.

We always stayed around Bugibba / Qawra and decided on a change one year and went to Marsaxlokk, it was one of those things once booked we were wondering if we had done the right thing, however we loved it and have stayed down there every year since.

As you say at least getting on the bus in that area you will get a seat, especially if you go to the bus stance.

:think It didn't happen to be from Mary in Tourist street near the bus station that you booked your trips with by any chance?

Yes you can buy your weekly ticket on the bus from the driver, great value they are too, the price of bus tickets has been reduced :really what a strange idea :D anyway the weekly ticket is now only 6.50 Euros giving you totally unlimited travel.

I must agree with you Xlendi is a lovely little resort, very pretty little bay especially if you approach it by coming down the hill over looking it.

Not sure when you last visited Gozo however they have built new terminals at both Mgarr and Cirkewwa so it much easier for foot passengers to get on / off the ferries now.

Keep us updated with how it all goes and enjoy your trip :tup
We did buy our last Gozo ticket from Mary (because that's who everyone said to use) but she was no cheaper than the small agents' office we'd already found the same morning before breakfast down on the seafront (walking down from Club Salina Wharf). While we were out with my parents later in the morning we were passing Mary's place and as it was the same price we purchased it there.

So this time, we will probably go to the agent's office instead - we noticed the other minibuses we were on at the Gozo end were in much better condition than ours!

I just checked my Flickr account and it was February 2010 when we went to Gozo. Can't believe the time has gone by so fast!

Will be grabbing our bus tickets on the day we arrive I reckon. All we have to sort out now is our transfer - minibus or taxi.... Will be contacting my mate James to see what he can do for us. The hotel want 50 EUR for 2 people in a taxi for the return journey when I know we've never paid more than 35 EUR as we have daytime flights in each direction.
Will be contacting my mate James to see what he can do for us

He doesn't happen to have a twin brother called Mario?
cyprus100 wrote:
We did buy our last Gozo ticket from Mary (because that's who everyone said to use) but she was no cheaper than the small agents' office we'd already found the same morning before breakfast down on the seafront (walking down from Club Salina Wharf). While we were out with my parents later in the morning we were passing Mary's place and as it was the same price we purchased it there.

So this time, we will probably go to the agent's office instead - we noticed the other minibuses we were on at the Gozo end were in much better condition than ours!

Can you remember who provided the Tour? I used Oasis last time I did a minibus (last time was HOHO and other two times was coach full), but willing to look at the other minibus operators - or the Gozo Jeep Safari looks good.
Hiya

Unfortunately, no - I don't recall the company.... The agent we found was on the same side as the Qawra Palace Hotel but heading in the direction of the New Dolmen Hotel/Bus Station.
There were around 12 minibuses all arriving at the port for the ferry crossing and then minibuses and reps were waiting for the ferry arrival at Gozo port to collect us all and take us round the island.
Depending which company you booked with, dictated which minibus you were allocated and also by language. You stayed with the same bus the whole day on Gozo and on disembarking the ferry back at Malta, our original minibus was waiting to take us back to our hotels.
All in all, an excellent day - one to be repeated this October!
Gozo Jeep Safari looks good

The Jeep Safari is good. we have done the quad safari a couple of times and met the Jeep Safari at several stages.
Me, for new year. I have been twice for new year first time the weather was warm and the second time it was like a holiday to Skeggy in the winter cold and windy, so lets hope it will be warm this year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.