Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Athens
16 Posts
so is there nowhere near Athens that is a bit less hustle and bustle?
we spent a last night in Agia Marina after a trip to Athens- it has a beach. From what I saw of the place though it is not a chill out place and we found it best expensive.
As you are in Athens, the world( or the Greek islands :D ) is your oyster. You only need to hop on a ferry. Have a look at some of the islands - Aegina is probably the closest. We went to Poros by ferry years ago- pretty,pretty place but you do need to wear sandals on the beach. But there are a lot to choose from!
You can of course go by hydrofoil which will certainly speed things up.
If you want to drive Tolon is quite handy or any of the Saronic islands are only a short ferry crossing.
Tolon- yes, I loved there! I can't remember how long the journey was exactly but I seem to remember 4 hours??? Some body else will put me right. We went there on a package but some people we met had gone DIY and their hotel arranged transport for them.
There is a regular Ferry crossing from Zante to the Greek mainland but I don't know how you go on from there. I would have thought there is some sort of regular bus service as the local people must make this journey from time to time.

Les
What about Vougliameni? It's about 10 miles south of Athens, great beaches and many very, very nice hotels.

bill
As far as I can remember it took me about 2 1/2 hours from Tolon to the airport so it should be slightly less into Athens.
Zante to Athens is a bit far - easiest will probably be to fly on a domestic airline, but it is possible to take the boat across to the mainland and use public transport from there (for example, the train or bus from Patras). But its a fair old journey.

Recommend either Aegina, but also nearby is Angistri which is a bit more low key than Aegina, but the beaches are largely shingle. There are plenty of ferries and hydrofoils that travel between these islands and Athens, and also along to the other Saronics (Poros, Spetses) and mainland ports as others recommend, so theres loads of options. Buy the tickets at the quayside.
Thanks for all that, if a certain football team get through to the final I suspect that flights to athens will rocket in price. Would I be better getting a flight to say Aegea and then getting the ferry across for the game? How long is it by ferry?
If I were you, I would do what one of the other posters suggested and head for one of the islands in the saronic gulf. My personal fave being Poros. Just head straight from the airport, outside and get a bus to the Port of Piraus, the buses run frequenly and then its just a ferry or dolphin ride to Poros or one of the other islands.
We went to the Olympics in 2004 to watch my son but as hotels in Athens were impossible to get we stayed at the Magda Hotel in Aghia Marina on Aegina. It is very easy to get there and the crossing takes between 30 minutes and an hour depending on whether you go on the ferry or dolphin.The Magda Hotel has it's own website and can be booked direct.We found it to be very clean and well looked after and it has a lovely view from the pool area as well as the room balconies.Hope this helps.
My son and his mates are planning the same. Cheapest flight to Athens were about £200 from London + transport from Manchester, so they are thinking of booking a weeks holiday to one of the islands. Looking at accommodation most cheap hotels in Athens are already booked up from 21st to 24th May already.
Just save your money, AC Milan will win anyway!
He will be at that Match and nobody can be certain which team will win. Karen
Hiya

i thought he was a utd fan and was suggesting that Milan will beat them in the semi (which they did) I am glad he is going as it means hes a scouser (as am I) and we will beat Milan in the final. Deffo. COME ON REDMEN!! :!:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.