Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
Australia- Q&As
148 Posts
Hi again Robert

If you go to the web site
http://www.tropicalnorthqueensland.com.au/

Then enter and on the left of the page is the list of the places of accommodation in the area
Port Douglas
Palm cove
Trinity Beach
Hollaoway Beach
Cairns accommodation
there is others there too but the places I have listed will be the ones you want hope this helps you
If you choose Palm Cove you will not be disappointed. We spent 10 days there last October and it was really lovely. We stayed at Marlin Waters which is right on the sea front... and within easy walking of everything Palm Cove has to offer. There are lots of restaurants to choose from. Marlin Waters is right next door to the surf club where you can buy take-away beer and wine at very cheap prices. There are bbq's along the beach if you want a night off from restaurant dining. One night we bought a kilo of prawns and sat at the table on the beach and scoffed the lot with our wine and beer it was a wonderful setting. We hired a small car and drove around and had a look see... though we have been before as we live in Australia. Port Douglas was just a hick town 15 years ago and has grown so much since our last visit.
All the trips pick up from the hotels, some go from Palm Beach as there is a jetty. The bus service is very good to get to Cairns and down to the supermarket for bit and bobs.
The cyclone has destroyed the banana plantations and they cost an arm and a leg per kilo. Innisfail was the hardest hit and they are just picking up the pieces now.
Cheer Geri
Hi Helda,

We did that trip ourselves on the train. Start off early catch the train from the main railway station at Sydney then it is (I think) 2 hours to Katoomba. Go straight down the main road walking and you turn right some way down and you come to the place where the vertical railway, the scenicscender and the Three Sisters is situated.

That was the easy bit. We have never done this, but I know there is a bus which goes around the Blue Mountains to the caves and the sights. You would find more information at the Website which someone has already pointed out.

I think all the fun of going on holiday is getting there yourself and doing things at your own pace. Enjoy!!!

Regards, Heather747.
We usually travel to Australia in Feb/March but this year is a big wedding anniversary so we are thinking about going to Brisbane/Surfers in July for a month then going on to Sydney. I have looked at all the web sites for weather info and it looks okish - wondered if anyone lived there or could give first hand info on what we are likely to expect.
Thanks
Hi, I lived in Brisbane for a year, and the Aussie winter months are great - maybe 21/22deg. getting down to 12 overnight, and none of the humidity and tropical storms that you get in the summer. Sydney may be a bit cooler being that much further south, but still 17/18 deg. and about 8 overnight. Aussies will be wrapped up in winter woolies, but a lightweight jacket should be enough for daytime. This time of year great for doing the tourist things as it's not school holiday time so less crowded, although having said that Sydney is always buzzing. Have a wonderful time.
Thanks Heather and Chubby. I've checked out the websites and I'm now much more prepared for the big trip!
Thanks for the info.
After much discussion about the weather (aren't we Brits always the same) we have settled on Australia. Flying into Brisbane at beginning of August then going down to Sydney at beginning of September for a couple of weeks.
Got some good 2 for 1 deals with Jet so are doing some internal flights as well.
Putting the rain coat in the bag just incase. :lol:
going to be going to perth in august any one any ideas who to book flights with andwhat sort of pakages for internal flights to do a bit of sight seeing around the rest of australia and what about the weather in august...thanx all
I believe if you fly with Quantas you get a couple of free flights within Australia.
August is of course the middle of winter in Oz but weather in Perth should be warm. If you are flying to Alice Springs/Ayers Rock it should also be warm. Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide will be cool and possibly wet. I had a holiday in Australia last year and did a couple of internal tours with AAT Kings, you can get their brochures from most UK travel agents and you can look at their tours at http://www.AATKings.com.uk
Hi there...Just been on holiday..so only just read your post..Just to say we stayed in the Blue Mountains 3 years ago while we were going round Oz..We stayed in a hotel called Lillianfells..it was really out of this world..so lovely..they infact had an honesty bar!! were you go help yourself to drinks and they just expect you to pay..they think everyone will be honest and pay for what they take..we were so amazed by this way of doing..The hotel was 5 mins walk away from the start of the The Sisters..it was really lovely..
Hope this helped!!..
Tracey..
Judith - that link is not working for me.
If you arearound Katoomba and are at the lookout point for the three sisters try descending the Giant Stairway Walk down to the valley floor, it takes about 30 min. Then follow the Federal Pass Track back through the forest to the Katoomba Cascades and Orphan Rock, From there you can either climb the thousand stairs up the Furber Steps, or what we did, take the scenic railway back up to the top The whole thing will just take a couple of hours and is a great experience, especially the Giant Stairway Alan
Hi there. I am a Sydney resident. If you are the active type, just one more thing to consider adding to your itinerary. The Royal National Park, an hour south of Sydney makes a wonderful day. There's rainforest & beautiful unspoiled beaches and you're also likely to spot plenty of wildlife. Wherever you choose, have a great trip!
Great to have a local on HT! I hope you stick around as I'm sure you can help other members. :D
Thanks rippedoff - that is the kind of thing we like to do - have been on the Sydney tourist office site and found many things we are looking forward to doing.
Before when we have been to Sydney we have only stayed for 3 days so we are having 2 weeks there to have a good look round.
One question - Is Bill Graingers restaurant worth finding?
I've been to Bills restaurant in Darlinghurst which does breakfast and lunch only. The food and service is very good but I'd say it's more suited to a business lunch than perhaps an indulgent meal - depends what you are after. I know he also has another two restaurants - Bills 2 and Billy Kwongs. I just looked them up and both have good reviews.
A restaurant I can recommend if you are after location as well as food is the Botanic Gardens Restaurant, located (funnily enough!) in Sydneys Botanic Gardens which are on the Harbour right next door to the Opera House. If you let me know what you're looking for and what kind of budget I'll be happy to give you more ideas. Cheers - Odette
We're going to visit my brother in law in Sydney for 3 weeks in October. We're planning to visit friends in Tazmaina, spend a couple of days in Melbourne and also head to the Gold Cost.

Does anyone recommend any cheap airlines we could use? I've heard of Virgin Blue.

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.