Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi

We are thinking of going here at Easter. Does anyone know what the kids club is like as my 5 year old loves attending them? Is there a playground and are the pools warm?

Thanks

Nicola
Hi

I'm getting married in July at the Bahia Principe San Juan. Has anybody got married here ? Just like to know whether i can get flowers for my bridesmaids and is there a hairdressers in the complex and if so whats it like? Thanks alot. :
hi i went to the bahia in 2004. it was one of the best hoildays i have ever been on.
sedge: i cant really remember the wine but the beer was in bottles, nice to drink and around 6percent.. i drank vodka and fanta when i was there, which tasted fine.
no one complained about the drinks anyway. :lol:
the pool was always warm, when i went in january.
hope this helps, any more questions just ask!
:D Re wedding. We attended a friends wedding here back in '04. I was one of the bridesmaids and we had flowers. We had a last minute bridmaids maid and she got flowers too. We got sandwiches & a wedding cake as well. Then we had an evening meal in one of the Resturants.

Take care to put insect repellent on though as the bride forgot and was bitten a lot during the evening & remember to spray/wipe your legs under your dress they like it there !
Hey!
I'm off to the Bahia Principe San Juan in the DR in July.
I've read on various posts that there are different sections to hotel, Diamond and Gold section etc...
However i can't seem to find which section of the hotel i'll be put in.
I'm travelling with My Travel. I Tried ringing Airtours who didn't seem to know themselves, so is it just pot luck?
Some people said they paid X amount to upgrade to gold. do you do that when you arrive? That wasn't an option when i booked??

Any ideas anyone?? :lol:
Hi my boyfriend and I want to book our holiday to the carribean and were wondering about this place-seems to have mixed reviews! what's the latest?
we've saved up for ages for this trip so we don't want to get it wrong!
any advice gratefully received thanks.
Hi JD, welcome to HT! :wave

We have a recent review HERE.

Pippy :D
Well as the OP of this thread suppose I should say a few words. Will try not to be biased, but we did have valuables stolen from our room by the staff (no break in) Hotel weren't really interested and said its never happened before and the staff get searched going home so it wasn't them? Funny that prior to our loss we left gifts for the maid, how did she get them out??
Spent half a day at the nearest police station getting a statement, (Wow that was an experience nearly got caught up in a riot within the village). Airtours Rep was appalling not and interested and just shrugged it of saying it "was a 3rd world country" The only person who helped was a guy called Angel, who worked for coco tours, he was great!
By the end of our fortnight I found out that at least 4 more rooms had been robbed!!
Did the Dolphin swim and although we enjoyed it you don't get much time with them really.

Resort: Miles from anywhere but not bad.
Hotel: Rooms need modernising and bathrooms not the cleanest
Staff: A lot better off after knicking our things.
Beach: Good size, horrible sand banks. Waters sports ok, Known to have sand flies but always washed and had no trouble.
Food: Not bad choice but not always hot, Speciality restaurants are good.
Drinks: Ok

Would I go Back? If it wasn't for the theft I would say yes, but now I'm not sure, but may do one day.

p.s
My theory on the theft is that when we called maintenance for a very small water leak they did a recce on the place while they carried out the very small repair. They then came back 2 days later when there was no record of them being there.
Have a good holiday but beware.
Hi gc :wave

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you experienced during your stay, it must have left a very sour taste :evil: :evil:

I'd be grateful if you'd copy your review HERE when you have time.

Many thanks :tup

Pippy :D
Hi :wave

There are many photos and a virtual tour of the hotel HERE and also HERE

We have booked to go here next year and have upgraded to the Hacienda :?: accommodation, does anybody know what the differences between the standard and hacienda rooms are ?

The tour operator says the accommodation is just the same but you have a greater choice of onsite facilities that you can use, but I am sure I have read somewhere that the accommodation is different and that it is also located in a seperate area (nearer the beach) on the resort.

:thanks
Graham
Hi All
We are travelling to Dom Rep next July and want to do some scuba diving as well as getting my son thro' his PADI test and me thro' my advanced. Is there a dive centre at the hotel? Can we dive here at all?
Any info or web site address would be greatly appreciated
Hi, hope somebody can help me, I have booked a holiday at the Bahia Principe San Juan for myself, husband, 17yr and 13yr old sons. This will be the first time we have gone to the carribean, been desperate to go for a long time, I have read the reviews of the hotel and have mixed feelings, can anybody reassure me that the hotel is of good standard, how does it compare to the hotels you find in Majorca for example, is the All inclusive option good, how much spending money would you recommend? we're going for one week late September. The room in the brochure says 'example of standard room' this looks like a bedroom with sitting area but then it gives you the option further on to upgrade to club hacienda? is this worth doing, sorry for all the questions just trying to reassure myself that we will have the holiday I've been waiting so long for. Thanks for any help. Alison :?
Hi, can anybody advise me whether its worth upgrading from standard rooms at the Bahia Principe San Juan DR to Club Hacienda? Any advice appreciated. Many thanks Alison
I saw on GMTV this morning that there has been a food poisoning outbreak at this hotel. Many people have been stuck in their rooms as they have been too ill to go outside. Two girls have been hospitalised. Hope no-one is booked to go their in the next couple of weeks.

It maybe worth contacting your tour operator to check that things will be ok to be going to this hotel.

Just thought everyone would like to know about this.
From the news report I saw they suggested it wasn't food or drink related?
Yes I heard that this morning too.

Sarah
It maybe worth contacting your tour operator to check that things will be ok to be going to this hotel.

We were booked to go there in September of this year but last November there was also a lot of illness and complaints at the hotel.
We asked the tour operator about this and the possibility of changing hotels, they said they hadn't heard of anything other than perhaps too much sun and alcohol causing problems :zip and it would cost us amendment fees to change, thankfully we changed anyway.
I saw this on Sky today as well and some other news stories are saying Punta Cana which also has a hotel of a similar name but no illness stories there at present.
There appears to be a few solicitors already preparing to sue First Choice and Thomas cook as there appears to be ten years of problems at Bahia Principe in San Juan. I`m not sure If I`m allowed to post this advert from Irwin Mitchell Solicitors so if this is censored try Googling Bahia Pricipe Illness

http://www.irwinmitchell.com/PressOffice/PressReleases/gastric-illness-on-holiday.htm

-- article removed by MarkJ HT Mod due to copyright infringements --
  • Edited by milocoon 2007-08-08 15:49:02
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.