Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
I stayed at the Aston a few years back ( so take my info as being perhaps a little dated). The hotel itself was fine...about three star/ three star plus and certainly good value for what we paid, but not a stand out hotel if its a special occassion. Nice pool, slight crowded deck area if the hotel's full. small gardens directly on the beach - Tanjung Benoa. The beach was OK but note you can't swim from it as its directly onto a rocky reef - not coral, which people walk on when the tide is out. Back of the hotel, are restaurants small shops and money changers (who ripped us off bigtime).

It's just outside Nusa Dua which is a highly manicured tourist enclave with a number of grand hotels - nice but not like being in the real Bali.
OK. I think I have finally decided. The booking hasn't yet been made.
Bali Tropic for 3 weeks. It looks like it is in a good position slap bang in the middle of Nusa Dua and Benoa. The hotel looks very tropical. Not too many rooms. Will be A/I but that doesn't mean I won't venture out of the grounds. Will be trying some local eateries. Will probably fly with Singapore Airlines out of Heathrow. Flight times look quite good.

Look forward to any additional information anyone can give. Have never flown scheduled, for a start, so don't know what to expect.

What food is typically Balinese? Where can I find out how to say "hello" and "thank you"?
The famous dishes for Bali are Babi Guling( suckling pig stuffed with spices) and Bebek Betutu(duck stuffed with spices and veg, wrapped in banana leaf and cooked for several hours. I tried both in Ubud. There is a famous place to go for the suckling pig and although I was not over fond of the dish itself the place is worth it just for the experience. The Dirty Duck is where to go in Ubud for the Bebek Betutu and I did love that dish and the place and would definitely return. I'm sure you would get these dishes elsewhere in Bali too. Bali food seems to be a mix of Indonesian, Chinese and Thai.
Nasi Goreng is one of the most popular rice dishes and mie goreng is the noodle version. Both good. Satay is also popular. Try Soto Ayam- a spicey yellow chicken and vermicilli soup. I liked that for lunch. For afters you have to try their sticky black rice pudding. :)
Suckling pig with spices. If I wasn't sold on Bali before, I certainly am now!

The food sounds just up my street.
and of course there is a complete mix of other foods to pick from. :)
STOP!! I want to go now!

Haven't even booked yet, and I'm already excited about going!
Mobor 1 - A point you may want to think about - !

I know Singapore Airlines are having a sale which finishes today (Jan 27th). They may extend it, but if they don't, you may want to check if the airfare you have will be going up quite a lot tomorrow?

You may not have looked at a sale fare anyway, but just something to bare in mind!
Well i've booked :tongue flying with Cathay Pacific.Leaving on 25t sept,staying 1 week in Candidassa and 2 weeks in kutu.This will be our 1st visit so i'm really excited,off to Goa in 5weeks so have got that to look forward too and then start the next count down,wiil need to earn a few pennies in between :que
Where you staying in Candi Dasa? I spent a few days at the Puri Bagus. It's a nice quiet area, different from Kuta for sure!

Unfortunately the lovely beach was washed away when the hotels dug up the coral protecting it for lime for building new hotels :(

That's the downside to some of Bali's construction work.
we're staying at the royal bali beach club,do u know it?Wanted somewhere a bit quieter the 1st week and then to be in the thick of it,and if it gets too much we're planning to go to ubud for a couple of days :D
Ah - it's a time share place (according to Google) that's actually in Manggis.

Havn't seen it but know the area.

Things to do (my recommendations!):

1) Eat at least once at the Alila Manggis.
1b) Explore the restaurants in Candidasa
2) Get a driver and head up the coast line to Amed for beaches, or Tulamben if you are divers (shipwreck).
3) Cut your stay short by 2 days and go to Ubud!

It was perfect for me as I had a quiet weekend with my dad & brother there (they live in Indo) and just wanted a quiet place to relax and sink a few Bintang's. But 4/5 days there might be pushing it, especially with a lack of sand!
Yes it is timeshare.Thanks very much for your recomendations,any other ideas would be appreciated,obviousely we are traveling a long way and want to see &experience as much as we can it may be the only time we get the chance to go.
I have to say that Bali must be my favourite place ever. I just love it and wish we were going this year as well.
Really Fiona , even better than Thailand :que it must be good , can't wait to go, we are off on the 12th July :cheers
Shirley
Its healthy to change your favourites( you know that ;) ). I have actually taken myself by surprise by having the niggling feeling that perhaps we should not have booked Barbados but returned to Bali.
( I still love Bangkok though :D )
I'm very excited at the prospect of Bali. Hoping to book Friday (pay day!).

I love Goa, and the food and people, so think that Bali looks like somewhere I will also love. Haven't been to Thailand or anywhere that far east before, so should be good experience.
Mobor , I have been to the Far East and Goa many times, but somehow I missed out Bali, mainly because of the bombing but it has for a long time been on my to do list, anyway I am so pleased I have booked it now :) please let us know what you book.

Fiona, I still love Bangkok too , this is the 1st year since 2000 I will not be there , I will miss it :cry
Shirley,

I'm hoping to book tomorrow. Bali Tropic for 3 weeks from 28th August.
All booked now. Flying with Singapore Airlines on 28th August for 3 weeks at Bali Tropic.

Got the best price with Thomson Worldwide via the internet.

No doubt will be back on the forum soon asking lots of questions!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.