Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Bali
3 Posts
have a look here, here and here for some info.
Anybody else been recently??
We stayed at the Westin Resort in Nusa Dua last year - a proper four star hotel on the beach. We got an excellent package through expedia, flights and ten nights accomodation for £900 each booked six months in advance. A month before we left I checked the prices again (just out of interest) and the price had risen to £2500 per person, so it is best to book ahead.

Kuta is good for shopping and has a buzz about it but not sure that I'd recommend staying there unless you want to be amongst so much life all day long. They virtually give away bootleg CDs and DVDs at around 80p each and every one that we bought was high quality, stay away from new movies though as they have been filmed off a cinema screen and were rubbish, older movies and TV series are copied from the original DVDs and a much better bet. Silver jewellery is cheap too and my wife's arm hasn't gone green - yet! It's worth visiting the memorial to the bomb victims - I challenge you not to shed a tear. Also Poppies which is an institution in Bali.

Jimbaran is also worth a visit to eat fish at one of the hundred or so restaurants there and listen to the incredibly good accoustic groups who wander up and down the beach.

Last year you could hire a car and driver for twelve hours for around £15 without bargaining which is much better than renting a car as the roads there are chaotic. Everything of course can be bargained down.

Personally I think that the Balinese are probably the nicest people in the world just about pipping the Thais at the post.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image