Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Monaco.

just read your post posssibly Balkan are awaiting the report from varna airport as they have been gettingtest results on the runway resurfacing but keep an eye here tonyt will probably pick up on your post and he will probably be able to let you know what is the situation regarding these flights as he has been on to BG air about the same things.

Robbie :tup
Ah ha, Thanks for that info Robbie...

At least you give a reason for the probable 'no new flights into Varna at this time' policy. Resurfacing the runway eh...hope all is well by June 1st. I dont wanna be redirected to Flippin Bourgas...it'as miles away.

Monica, my partner, and I met Tony back in May/June 2010 when we all flew out and back to Varna...nice fella. Full of info and stories.
Hi mate, I really think big problems ahead. I was told way back last year Bulgaria Air were pulling their flights, I have been in constant touch with "Mr Wise" at Balkan, have had all sorts of excuses, but like you have noted no flights available. I sent a request into above to be moved from the mon 28th May to the Sun 27th flying Gatwick into Bourgas and my Taxi driver Ivan from Varna will pick me up and do the trip for £70. had e-mail back from wise yesterday stating my request had been sent to Reservations dept and they would contact me. Wizzair are going from Luton to Varna, but with all the add ons it is bloody dear, plus getting to the dolls house (Luton Airport). hope you are well, speak to you soon. Tony.

should have added tarmacing was completed by mid Jan, new lighting and drainage also, test flights have been taking place to co-ordinate landings and take offs. T.
Hi Monaco

just had a look at Varna airport website it says they started the tests on 19th jan but because weather in Bulgaria has been rather hit& miss maybe testing has been delayed no doubt tony will have further info I have P/M him on another site to let him know you are looking for info.

Robbie
Mondeo and Monaco, I smelt a rat some time back when I cross referenced the two following websites

namely Balkan Holidays and Gatwick Airport.

Balkan Holidays were showing the flights as FB, this being Bulgaria Air (National airline)
Gatwick Airport was showing BGH, this being Balkans own Charter.

Then when you look on http://www.air.bg national airline (Bulgaria Air) it was and still is showing no flights between Varna and Gatwick. Mondeo by all means print this off and show your travel agents. as i said in earlier post, will keep you updated. Tony.
As promised an update. I can confirm I have had a phone call from Balkan Holidays Office in London within the last hour. There will be only flights on a thursday from Gatwick to Varna this coming season.

I have managed to switch to a Bourgas flight, but must pay my own transfer because I want to go to Albena. I have a regular Taxi driver and he has given me a quote which is less than a 100 lev than others, I have e-mailed him asking for prices for Bourgas to Albena and Golden Sands with both Car and his 7 seater. will post here when I get reply. Tonyt.
Hi everyone...

Just spoken to Balkan again and Jinga confirmed our holiday dates have been changed and the letter has now been received by Thomas Cook to confirm that. Balkan acted very quickly to respond to my enquiry regarding these changes to get that letter sent.

We now fly out on Thurs 31st May 1805pm FB 498, eta Varna 23.20pm local time...and return Thurs 14th June from Varna of 1520pm, FB 497 With an eta at Gatwick of 1705pm local time.

Luckily for us that might just suit us better although changing our taxi and insurance dates is a pain.

It now appears Balkan will only fly out of Gatwick on Thursdays this year. They really do mess everyone around.

fao Tonyt, got your email mate.

regards Jim.
Hi, well would you believe, I have been reinvoiced by Balkan Holidays, due to change of flights and although I am flying a further 30mins, my bill has been reduced by some many Pounds. "Thank You Balkan Holidays". I have got details of cab fares, just one instance
My taxi co Bourgas Airport to Albena approx 160 kms 170 lev. Albena Taxi driver230 lev
anybody wanting web site. please pm me. Tonyt. :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers
Hello everybody....

I went to TC to collect my new Balkan invoice etc etc and make my final payment yesterday. And, hold your breath, it had been reduced too...by a massive £13 30!!! Every little helps though as they say.

Lets all hope this years Gatwick to Varna 'Thursday Only' flights are the last changes Balkan will make for everyone.

Cant wait to get back tO GS now. Roll on 31st May.

regards, Jim
Jim, It is not Balkan Holidays making the changes, it is the airline "Bulgaria Air" not to be confused with the BGH flights which are Balkan Holidays, which operate from all other UK Airports as per Brochure, my reduction will pay for at least one way Transfers. Speak after weekend. Tony
Hello Tony...

I fully appreciate that Balkan are not the ones to blame for these changes and that the airlines will always hold the 'whip-hand'...my frustration is that this is at least the third time in five visits to Bulgaria that 'changes' to our original booking have been forced on us. New dates, flight times and even hotels have all been altered...ggrrr, fume and furious finger wagging....:o)

Love the country, people and the resort of Golden Sands but getting there can be a real headache in the planning.

Really looking forward to going back again and, no doubt this wont be our last visit!!!

regards, moAnaco...:O)
Hi Monaco.

glad you finally got it sorted dont worry about Balkan changes it happens every year it is so common that the company I hire the car from expect me to tell them the change to flight time the week before we fly as it is always changed about three weeks before the day stays the same but the flight is always and flys about 2 hrs later than the advertised time has been happening now for about the last 10 years at least . :duh :duh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.