Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Re: Bendita Mare
36 Posts
It is June - thank you. I'm going to wait until Tony t gets back now, and decide then. I've looked at DIY and while I can get flight prices, the hotels don't go up to August next year yet.
Helen T. Hi, firstly I will start with the flight situation, if you fly from Bristol a take off at 1840 will arrive Bourgas 00.10 (allowing for 2 hour time diff) I hour disembarking, waiting for luggage, loading of coach, then 3 hours to Albena, arriving 4 oclockish, first day wasted, plus £65 flight supplement each. Fly from Gatwick at 1025. you should be in hotel by 5pm, no flight supplements. If you do not fancy coach transfers, my taxi driver will do return for 100 lev, approx £45.
Now Hotels. There are 3 Suitable for you, taking into acount of Hubbies leg problems. "The Flamingo", which is in the centre of resort, Built 4 years ago. some very good reports on this one. It does H/B
"The Arabella Beach" which is only A/I is at the very end of resort less than 10 mins walk into centre, is right on the beach.
"The Amelia" ex Drouzbha has had a new front section put on this year, but I understand from Manager that Balkan Holiday clients will still be using older section, the only bind with the older section is the trees are growing very tall at the back and the views to the sea are becoming obstructed, plus you have to go up the road to another section to eat your meals.
Buses to Start from Bus Station at entrance to resort to Varna 5lev each way say £2.40. to Dobrich it is 5.50 say £2.65 and Balchik is 2.50lev just over the pound.
Balkan Holidays do do organised tours, which you are advised about at your welcome meeting the day after your arrival.
Eating places are dearer than the resorts of Golden Sands and Sunny Beach, Over the past 2 weeks I have not paid more than £6 for a good evening meal, I have used the Following which I highly recommend. "The Shadow Bar", "La Bomba", "Old House" "Moby Dick", If you go to Varna or Dobrich, prices are so much lower. If I can help in any other way please ask. Tonyt.
Thanks for taking the time to write that information Tony t. I didn't realise that the transfer was 3 hours, that's a bit much for us after a flight, but we'll have a look at the accommodation. Once again thank you. I may come back with a few questions :duh
We both like the look of the Arabella beach and the Flamingo Tony, but the reviews aren't great on either. Do you have a personal opinion of them? I take it you didn't see any suitable Sc or B & B. I've found flights at decent times into Varna, which I believe is around a 45 min transfer.
Hi, there is a very limited availibilty by Balkan Holidays in Albena, most hotels are now all inclusive, I have spoke to many tourists in the "Flamingo" and they have always said good words for it, I looked at some of the reviews, mostly from Romanians, who want everything for nothing, one went as far as to complain about distance from Beach, he must have gone a long way round, as I am sure it is not more than a hundred yards from beach.. Yes there are other Hotels doing B/B but not in Balkans brochure, now I know this is naughty of me, but I always book "Drouzbha" knowing it will not open before I get there, so I am upgraded at no extra expense. For the second year running I have been staying in Hotel Boriana, right on the Sea Front, where I can have my breakfast outside by the pool. to have the evening meal was just 14 lev, (slightly over £6) now this Hotel can be booked on http://www.booking.com and you would have to organise flight and transfers, Hotels foyer and rooms completely refurbished to a very high standard this year. If you look at the Albena map, it is the first of that group of three. the next Hotel in that set of three is Hotel Nona, again very good and the manageress Danka is a very long standing friend of mine. both hotels are just a 10 min stroll along prom to centre and the noddy train stops outside both, to centre or Bus Station, just 3 levs each, going back to the "Arabella" I did have a meal in there about 6 years ago have have past it several times in the last fortnight, it could be they have spent money on the attractions (pool etc) outside and have neglected the inside. this is only the second year in Brochure. Tonyt
Thanks Tony. If you go DIY, who do you fly with please?
Hi, I now use Balkan Holidays flight only, you can reserve front row seats for £15 return each, after B.A pulled out I did try Wizzair from Luton, but never again, the cost of return from Hastings was over £80 rtn plus Luton is like a little Dollshouse.

forgot to add a site you could look at about Albena. it is http://www.albena.bg so much info on it plus the interactive map. again anything else just shout. am already pricing up next May, with my discount will come in at under £400 for two weeks. Tonyt.
just been looking at the Borjana Tony & it looks very appealing. We would be going in August and so far neither Booking.com nor the hotel direct have prices available. The Flamingo Grand would be my other choice, but it's a bit steep with Balkan for HB. Still interested though :tup
Flights are coming in at £664 for next August, but I don't have any idea of accommodation price :que
I will e-mail Diva the manageress over the next few days to find out when they are accepting bookings for 2014. Bulgaria Air are offering a special at moment, buy your ticket before 28th June use by 9th Sept at about £115 return Gatwick to Varna, but as I understand they are pulling their flights after this Sept. but will keep my nose active during winter months. cheers. Tonyt.
I will e-mail Diva the manageress over the next few days to find out when they are accepting bookings for 2014.

Much appreciated Tony :tup
weve been going to gs for years, have a look at the hotel arabella, excellent but expensive, then theres the riviera compleax, its gated and right on the beach, I believe some of the older hotels on the complex are having renevations this year, we ve been to alot of hotels in gs any info you need just ask, weather in august is hot chance of showers, but its a great place, lovely people cheap prices, spotless clean
Thanks for that information lal :tup
HelenT, Message from Boriana, maybe middle of Sept they will have Aug2014 on line. Today I have been informed Thomson Holidays are going to be flying to Varna 2014 in conjunction with Balkan Holidays using their own Hotels and in 2015 doing it alone again. Am unable to find which UK airports this involve. but will keep my nose to the ground. Tonyt.
Tony - I am so sorry, I don't know how I missed this post. :think We still haven't got round to visiting Bulgaria, but our next door neighbour left for Sunny Beach yesterday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.