Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Bendita Mare
36 Posts
I haven't stayed in your hotel, but I've just had a look at its website, and it does look nice; the weather in early August is usually pretty good, high 20s - low 30s, but with a breeze off the sea.
When we first started going to Bulgaria nearly 20 years ago, it was about 10-15 years behind Greece in terms of tourist infrastructure - that is no longer true, and Golden Sands will stand comparison with, for example, Agios Nikolaos or Rehymno on Crete, or Trianda & Kalithea on Rhodes, but Malia or Faliraki it is not. Bulgaria has a short summer season, and is (still) poorer than Greece, so they have to make their money where they can, but it is still cheaper than Greece by some way.
You don't say what kind of things you like to do - perhaps if you could give some examples, we might be able to make some suggestions that would enhance your holiday...
Thanks Doonhammer. We're really struggling to find accommodation for next summer in Bulgaria. It's not that we're fussy, but I've looked at all the major TO's and there's only around half a dozen places showing availability :que We mostly like to laze by the pool during our summer holiday, but will probably do a trip or two, either arranged or DIY, it depends what's available. We also enjoy jumping on the local bus. During the evening we like a meal and a stroll around the shops, calling in a couple of bars.
Just put in a slightly different date and have had loads of availability, but this is still our favourite at the moment. Any recommendations from frequent visitors to Bulgaria are welcome :tup
You say you've tried all the major TOs - have you tried Balkan Holidays? They were showing availability for early August - or are you looking for 2014? In which case you're a bit early, as it seems that most Bulgarian hotels become available around September for the next year...strange, but that's how it's been in previous years
Balkan Holiday brochure for 2014 has been available for past 4 weeks, Helen T have you thought of Albena, which is where I am now for the thirtieth time, nice restaurants, some very good Hotels and a reliable Bus service to Varna and Dobrich, also to Balchik. back in Uk after 20th June if you want any more info. went past the late "Baldurs" residence today, still not occupied, said a few quiet words from all. Tonyt.
Thanks both. When I started making enquiries, they were very tentative, as I'm not convinced of Bulgaria. Hubby however has got more enthusiastic by the hour, and it now looks as though it's going to be our definite destination. I haven't looked at Albena tony t. I looked at Elenite, but didn't fancy any accommodation. I'll have a look at Albena now, but I can really see us booking the Bendita Mare over the next few days. Just one question. Balkan holidays want £30pp for a coach transfer which takes 2 hours. I've found a taxi service that will charge £48 return and the journey will be 45 mins. Are the taxis reliable?
Tonyt wrote:
Balkan Holiday brochure for 2014 has been available for past 4 weeks, Helen T have you thought of Albena, which is where I am now for the thirtieth time, nice restaurants, some very good Hotels and a reliable Bus service to Varna and Dobrich, also to Balchik. back in Uk after 20th June if you want any more info. went past the late "Baldurs" residence today, still not occupied, said a few quiet words from all. Tonyt.

Thanks Tony for saying a few words from us all, I still miss him on the forums. x
Helen, that transfer looks like it's from Bourgas, in the south. See if you can get a flight to Varna, which is only about half an hour away
If you fly to Varna it takes about 30 min to G/S and transfers are in the booking with Balkans Been going for many years now to G/S and there is plenty to do :wav
doonhammer -thanks for pointing that out. The flight was indeed into Bourgas. Unfortunately that's all that's coming up with Balkan Holidays. There's no option for flying into Varna for that accommodation unless I'm missing something. June - I went through the booking process until the coach transfer, and £60 was added :que Back to the drawing board now then as we don't want a 2hr transfer :cry . June- do you have any accommodaion favourites in Golden Sands?
Helen Balkan do flights from Bristol to Varna if they are any good?
I'll have a look at that now Glynis - thanks
Ok I've looked at flight only with Balkan, but although their timetable shows Bristol - Varna on a Saturday for next Summer, all the dates I've put in are coming out as no availability. I've tried dates from May - August. Is it a case that the flights haven't been released yet? All is not lost though as hubby says it won't cost us hardly anything extra to fly from Gatwick as flying from Bristol was around £120 more :tup
Ok we've had to discount these apartments as having looked at all the reviews there are 150 or so steps to go down to the beach. Hubby has bad knees and ankles - so no good. I really could do with some reccomendations :think
150 steps :yikes That's not my idea of a holiday and I don't have bad knees :really

Sorry I can't help with any hotels Helen as never been to Bulgaria, hopefully someone will be able to assist :tup
Helen T, I will be returning to UK on 20th june, will give you a run down of good Albena resorts and will lead you to some internet sites involving area. please be patient, Tonyt.
Thanks Tony t - Can I just ask whether you go DIY or on a package. I quite like the look of the area, but so far reviews on the available accommodation aren't good :think
Hi Helen T we have been going to Shipka now for 4 years B/B they have a great pool and you can always get a bed at it and the food is ok It is right in the center of golden sands so easy for everything We only go B/B as we like to eat out .It is still good value for money There is apartments in G/S but sorry i dont know what there called :cheers I tried booking the Bendita Mare and got it for flying from Newcastle :wave:
June - just had a quick glance at this hotel and it looks ok. The reviews however are quite old. Are there plenty of places nearby to eat and drink please?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.