Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
First went to Benidornm in January 1970 for our first winter holiday.I was 12 at the time and recall only the old town and a few hotels spread very thinly on the Levante beach,the Brisa and Les Dunes ring a bell.

We went back in Summer 1971 and the expansion had begun,we stayed in the Calypso.You had to go into the old town for any night life though as I cant recall much night life around the newly developing areas.

Went again in 1974 staying at the Venus and things had grown enormously around that area.My next holiday to Benidorm was 1978 at the Agua Azul and the Benidorm we know today was probably on its way by then.

My next visit was 1985 on honeymoon and stayed at the Pueblo.The Benidorm we know today was well and truly in place.I have been back on various holidays and day visits and can say that I have seen the expansion of modern day Benidorm first hand.
First visited Benidorm in April 1974 with Thomson Holidays and stayed at the Reymar Hotel. The Reymar and Riviera, side by side, were both a part of the MedPlaya hotel group then, they had about six hotels in Benidorm, all names started with "R" for some reason.
It was very cheap, food was very bad, and I remember completely failing to chat up a Spanish girl in the hotel disco, partly because I'd drunk way too much, and partly because I spoke no Spanish.

The flight on the way back suffered the worst turbulence I've ever experienced - either before or since then. It took the 737 four and a half hours to struggle back to Newcastle in terrific headwinds which caused a weird corkscrew motion all the way home. Dozens of folk were being sick
My brother came with us - his first, and, as it turned out, his last ever European holiday.
When he got home, he said he'd made a "promise to God" on the flight back, that if he got to the ground OK he would never ever go up there again.
And he never has to this day!

I've been back to Benidorm many times since then, and it has changed a lot. It went through a dreadful phase in the 80's heading way downmarket and attracting some awful holidaymakers.
Most recently I went back and found that lots of effort has been put in to move the place up market.
The yobs have vanished, it's a pleasant place now - apart from the dogs toilet which is the Levante promenade.
Some of those names bring back memories, Frank.

Los Alamos (which it describes as "stands in a quietish street set back from Benidorm's main drag, the Avenida Mediterraneo".

Hotel Los Alamos is still going strong, but perhaps difficult for any Benidorm newbies to imagine now that Calle Gerona was ever a quiet street.
http://www.alamoshotel.com/introduccion.asp?idioma=2

I remember staying in the Hotel Condestable when it was 450 pesetas per night. Rooms with fantastic uninterrupted views over the beach and port were 750 pesetas. The reception was rarely manned, because the receptionist was also the cleaner, cook, room maid, barmaid, etc. Guests just went behind the desk and collected their own room keys. Anyone could walk in off the street and do the same thing if they felt so inclined, but strangely that didn't seem to happen back then.

ukbill wrote:
First visited Benidorm in April 1974 with Thomson Holidays and stayed at the Reymar Hotel. The Reymar and Riviera, side by side, were both a part of the MedPlaya hotel group then

I remember those being two of the most popular hotels with the Brits back in the 70s. Many still make failed attempts to find them when they return to Benidorm in later years, not realising they are still there but now form the Hotel Ambassador Playa complex.

David :wave
My first holiday abroad was 1976, and the weather was boiling hot and we stayed at the Rio Park, I remember my baby's nappies blowing off the balcony and hubby rushing down to rescue them before the goats ate them!!
There was a lovely waitress who took him off to the kitchen for everyone to cuddle, (baby not hubby :rofl ) and we used to go to a shack near the hotel for drinks. The food in the hotel was awful.
Beni has certainly changed since then....Caz

Forgot to say 9 days cost per person for holiday was £69 :tup
First time I went to Benidorm was 1980. Went with a friend and was my first holiday without my parents. Stayed at Aerial Park which is now Hotel Nero. We booked it through tour operator called Martin Rooks and can remember it was so popular to get the fortnight we wanted had to book it the day the brochure came out. Went for last 2 weeks in July but can't remember how much we paid.

Cant remember much about the holiday other than it was so hot and went to the Medival Night & got very very drunk (as you do when your 19)

Didn't go again until 1997, first time ever abroad for my husband and have been back most years ever since
Some great stories there. I really wish I'd bothered going earlier than I did. It still seems to have changed a lot in the 10 years since I first went.
First went to benidorm august 1970 stayed at Torre Dorada which was in a class of its own at the time,cost £25 pounds p/p full board for two weeks in august could only take £25 per adult spending money, how far would that get you now? Stayed in several hotels and apartments since then,some good some bad,going in two weeks time for fiesta, third visit this year can't wait.
Revisiting this one as it definitely brings back memories!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.