Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
OK .I will stick my neck out and start the ball rolling"¦"¦

I live about a 40 minute drive from Benidorm, so I can go there whenever I choose.

I choose not to I don't like the place. I can see the attraction for stag nights and hen parties, but it just seems tatty and naff to me. Before I start getting slated for my opinions, I do know the town well"¦The old town, the history, the sights etc., but these are lost amongst the endless 'Irish' bars, 'English' cafes and Chinese tat shops. And why is everyone walking around in 'Rooney' shirts?

I know there are many people that love the place and visit as often as possible. And sometimes it seems like this particular forum is the Benidorm one rather than one dedicated to the Costa Blanca .I am not about to get drawn into the inevitable debate that will follow.

It's not Spain"¦ and it's not for me.......personally.
Hey Oly, not everyone walks round in rooney t-shirts and not everyone in Britain is football mad...me & hubby for two.We love Benidorm as it's nothing like anywhere else...you can make Benidorm whatever you want it to be. Quiet and Spanish or very entertaining and British or a mix of the two. We prefer the first, but everyone to their own.If everyone liked the same things it would be a very funny old world.
I Agree with Serena Benidorm is Nothing Like Blackpool for 1 its cleaner for 2 its warmer and for 3 its a lot cheaper. My partner and I went 2 years ago and stayed in the Poinente part (not so much of the bright Lights but still nice pubs and restaurants around) in the Hotel Gran Bali we are returning on 22 Dec for Xmas as I would much prefer to be there than stuck in the Colder Wetter more expensive UK.
I also went in march this year, there were 3 30yrs+ women went for 4 nights to watch the Wales v England Rugby game as Wales is far too cold in march lol and we stayed in the Busy Levante Area and it was Fab we were sat on the beach in the middle of march and people were actually in the sea it was that warm.
I would recommend Benidorm to people of any age with kids or without there is always plenty to do and see but its the way you choose to spend your holiday You want your Fish and Chips then go to the thousands of English pubs and bars if you want to do as the Romans when in Rome then go to the Thousands of Spanish Bars or restaurants I guarantee wherever you go you will have a lovely warm welcome. I suggest for a quiet family area - Poinente or ricon le croix (excuse spelling) for older kids with parents then Levante . At the end of the days you can get to levante spend the day and if it all gets a bit tooo loud taxis are everywhere and cheap.
Hi Wendy

Me, hubby and two sons (14 and 10) stayed in Benidorm for a fortnight in August this year at the Terralta Apartments. Were very apprehensive, but booked it as we got it at a good price.

We've booked again for next year - need I say more! :D We stayed at the Poniente end and spent most evenings in the Old Town, which is lovely, lots of good bars, restaurants and entertainment if you want it. Very very reasonable to eat out. We ate out every evening and didn't have one bad meal. We visited the new town a few evenings, but much preferred the Old Town!

We had some late nights out but equally had some quieter earlier nights too. Theres something for EVERYONE in Benidorm. All ages and nationalities having a great time. It ISN'T like Blackpool at all, in my opinion. Probably the only similarity, are the tractors in the evening cleaning the beaches! Also for the size of the resort, we were very impressed how clean it was. Plenty of places to visit too.

One of the best holidays we have ever had, and we've had some good ones! :D

PS - The Terralta Apartments are superb, in a residential area, only three storeys high and a short walk to the beach.

I'd certainly say give it a try.

Best Regards

Elaine

:fly
Hi we went to Benidorm, for the first time last year, some of our party were apprehensive like you. Yes there are lots of british bars, yes there are lots of shops selling rubbish, but there is also a lot else. If you can't find something/somewhere to have a good time in benidorm you'd struggle anywhere else. I will certainly be going back.
Benidorm is what you make of it. There is so much to do for everyone of all ages. But I have to agree, after you go once, you form the opinion of you either love it or hate it. There is no inbetween. You'll either want to go back, or avoid it like the plague.

Someone mentioned above that this Forum seems more like a Benidorm Forum rather than a Costa Blanca one. Yes, I agree with that, but equally, all of the numerous posts that are made in this Forum about Benidorm should actually be an indication of how popular it is for British Tourists.

We first went to Benidorm in the early 1980's and have being going back there ever since. We should be there right now if it were not for my father falling ill.

I think if you live somewhere, you do not see it in the same light as those that don't. I live in Skegness, and I love it here, but it would be the last place in the UK I would think of taking a holiday to.

Benidorm might not be Spain in the true sense of the word, but it is a perfect base to stay and explore the surrounding Towns and Villages which are on its doorstep and are most definately Spanish.

It also depends on what time of the year you travel. Benidorm is an all year round resort but attracts a different clientelle depending on when you go. The main summer months will see more youngsters, and Stag & Hen groups, whereas in the Winter Season the resort is occupied by the more Senior Citizen and the Entertainment changes to cater for this.

The Spanish themselves take their holidays there, so it cannot be all that bad.
We returned to Benidorm in August after a bad experience there 20+ years ago at New Year when we hated it.

We really enjoyed it this time and were out till 3 every morning which is definitely not like us at all, but we had such a good time at the bars and cabarets.

Going back for Xmas, but staying at the Old Town end instead of the Levante end, and wondering what it will be like seeing as it attracts an older crowd at that time of year. Still looking forward to it, just expecting it to be different.

luci :wave
I have been 4 times now to Benidorm and each time, staying at the Ocas.
I can only tell people of how good I have found the place as a whole.

From the fab weather, the even better beaches - right through to the relaxed european way of life which I have to say, is so much better than the UK.

There is a lot to do for people who find themselves bored sunbathing, like myself - with Terra Mitica being a brilliant day out, Terra Natura being another and also Mundomar as well for starters.

I havent been to Blackpool - but I am sure that Beni is nothing like the place.
I have been to both Blackpool and Benidorm and can think of no comparison except both have got sea and sand!
I agree with the previous replies.
We are just back from our 11th holiday in Benidorm and have stayed in the Presidente, Marina, Castilla(2), Orange (2) Dalmatas, Nereo (3)and Benidorm Plaza all of them were excellent Hotels. We are going back to the Castilla in the New Year.
I have described some of our holiday this last week in another post, so will not repeat the details, and agree that there is something for everyone in Benidorm.
Sue
We have been to Benidorm four times now and love it :D

It is what you make of it :)
I live 45 mins from Blackpool, and its nothing like Benidorm, apart from Sea and Sand, eccept Benidorm has been cleaned up very much in the last 10 years, it's not tacky, and it's not full of stag/hen parties, its a great family resort, and it has quiet area for the generation that want peace. Their is a mix of English and Spanish offerage, I think Benidorm caters for everyone what ever age. I've been about 7 times since 1980 and never had single problem.
i'd pick Benidorm anytime
Benidorm is nothing like Blackpool, hand on heart I dislike Blackpool in a big way and a mere couple of hours in the place sends me rushing for the M55 to get out of place.
Before I first ventured to Benidorm all my family (approx 40 of us go every September) would go 2 or 3 times a year (I prefered the lure of Tenerife), I was of the same opinion that it was Blackpool with a bit sun, that was back in 2001 it was so easy to make that assumption without going as that is what a lot of people who haven't been actually think of Beni.
September 2001 I had my 'arm twisted' to go and to say I wasn't looking forward to it was an understatement, but the brave face was put on and we were on a two week jaunt to Benidorm with JMC. I had heard various stories about JMC also, so to me this was to going be a holiday nightmare in hell!. We had terrible flight times and going out our flight left at 1am and we had about 100 good natured and merry Northern Ireland fans on our flight who had also booked for Benidorm as they were playing Spain in a game at Albecete a week later. Following a coach transfer which seem to take an age we approached what looked like a mini Hong Kong style place on the horizion, it was dark and it was raining lightly and the place was becoming more disliked by the second!!, anyway I always remember moaning about how much I was hating this place and how is was not a patch on Tenerife and in the end my Mum telling me to shut up much to the amusement of the rest of the family!. We finally arrived at Las Torres at about 6am (last to be dropped off and checked in) and once we were I was ready for bed hoping I would wake up 14 days later. After recharging the batteries I went for a walk round encountering my first experience of cardiac hill and to the numerous British bars that are around the new town. After my first day soaking a bit of sun up (early morning drizzle had gone) it was time for my first night out and I went for a wander along Calle Gerona with the numerous neon lit bars, it wasn't veronicas or the patch in Las Americas but it seemed lively enough. Anyway that night I ended up in The Wooky 1, Scruffy Murphy's and The Scotsman and the sheer friendliness hit home as these places actually made you feel welcome as opposed to the places in Tenerife which I had felt just wanted your money. Anyway after a couple of nights out, a couple of days in the old town I was hooked this place was actually starting to grow on me!. I hired a car ventured to Valencia which is a great place to visit, Alicante which is good for shopping and really vibrant, We found a great beach at San Juan just outside Alicante which is among one of the best I have ever seen. The next thing I knew the two weeks were up and I had enjoyed every minute of my stay and I was becoming a Benidorm fan, I always remember saying to one of my family when's everyone booking for next year? only to be met with " So you do like Blackpool with a bit of sun then!".
We have just come back from a week for New Year which was my 18th time since September 2001, we are booked for April and September this year and the place is firmly close to my heart now and will continue to do so. I had my stag weekend in Benidorm last March in which I converted 7 other "Blackpool with a bit of sun" work colleagues who are also returning in April as they loved the place so much, me and my my wife are also there in April as we have made lots of good friends who work there and even after all this time we still manage to find places we have never seen before. A night out with one of our friends last week (Freddie Joyce who worked in the Wooky and his girl Jo) we found a bar in the old town that even he hadn't discovered before and he's lived and worked there for 11 years!!, Sanji off these boards still does the exploring with her husband and the fire in her belly for Benidorm is still very much alive and she remains an ambassador for the place and always champions Benidorm to all the new posters looking for advice and knowledge.
Finally I would say that people should remain open minded, ignore the TV programmes and people who have never visited who try to paint Beni as a Blackpool in the sun (I was one of them) and just let the love affair with this beautiful place begin.

Apologies for the essay, started getting carried away :lol:
Hi samdoddsred,I really enjoyed reading your post and thought that you gave a very fair view about Benidorm. :tup :tup

For the record, I too hate Blackpool but love Benidorm. :sun :fly

Oh by the way, where did you get your name from? I'm intriuged :roll:

Sue :)
:offtop Sorry but I often wonder about peoples user names too. :lol: I think he/she is called Sam Dodds and they support Man Utd, hence the red .......or they have ginger hair. :lol:
Sanji off these boards still does the exploring with her husband and the fire in her belly for Benidorm is still very much alive and she remains an ambassador for the place and always champions Benidorm to all the new posters looking for advice and knowledge.

The fire is burning in my belly for Benidorm and sadly I will be coming home tomorrow, and for a place that is supposidly like blackpool, we have managed for two weeks not to frequent one British bar.

I've been in countless Spanish bars and at the moment I'm sat in a Dutch bar.
I see beyond the levante brit ghetto and will always defend Benidorm for it's acheivements of being a resort that welcomed the Brits over 40 years ago and catered for them, when we should have been the ones who adapted to the Spanish culture. And whether you like it or not, it remains one of the most visited places today by people of all Nations.

I get :swear off when people say it isn't Spain......Spain is still there in the resort, but some are too idle to go and seek it out and experience it.

It is a European Hong Kong and you can either look at the skyscrapers and regard them as ugly high rise concrete blocks, or you can look at them for their architectural (spel) acheivements and the fact that Benidorm has not encroached too far into the surrounding countryside in over 40 years.....

Further down the coast, acres and acres of beautiful countryside has been lost to developers building sprawling non descript houses and apartments for the Brits to isolate themselves in their own little communities.

Benidorm is multicultural, you either love it or hate it, but what I hate is people who stick for 2 weeks in the British ghetto and think they have experience Benidorm or the Costa Blanca.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Benidorm is a great holiday, i first went in 2006 as a couple, and really enjoyed it, staying in the Rincon de Loix area!
Went last year as a lads holiday and it was awesome, infact we're going again this year, why?! Because we think that if we went somewhere else that if it was like Benidorm last year, then we would be disappointed with our holiday, it was a good holiday, 1000's of bars! Then you have the water park and theme park! Benidorm has it all, no matter who you are, and you will either love it or hate it, i dont think i could imagine not going back there!
Hi Sue re my username - Sam dodds is a wine bar in Anfield, Liverpool which tells you my user name is a pub and the red is where my football loyalties lie with (Liverpool) 8)
Ok thank for the explanation, there is a thread about how people decided on their user name and there are some very interesting posts. :roll:

Sue :)
What is the gran Bali hotel liked as this will be first time to benidorm,is it near the new town or in old town ect and what is food like all information would be appreciated we thinking of going in October thanks in advance
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.