Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Why not ask at your local Bank how much they would charge you to withdraw money from the Cash Machines In Cyprus? This Is what we are thinking of doing......... It saves taking lots of Travellers Cheques then........and you dont lose any money like you would converting the Travellers Cheques. :wink:

If you bank with Nationwide they dont actually charge you for withdrawing whilst In Cyprus.......worth thinking about :wink:
Best to take your British pounds to Cyprus and change it there at the best 'shop' you can find. (Not the banks and not hotels.)

Just take enough to see you through to the first opportunity to exchange.

Marion
^^^^

Thats what I do - was getting 0.83 last week :D

Ady
ah, thanks for the nationwide tip ~ am just opening an account with them anyway......

~ did get some Cyp£ to keep me going tho, from Thomas Cook, who currently have a "special offer on" and are doing it at 0.80 :) he said its the best they've had for ages!
  • Edited by Karen_uk 2006-05-02 18:58:48
It doesn't have to be a bank account with Nationwide either, you can just apply for a credit card.
Hi Karen

> Thomas Cook, who currently have a special offer on and are doing it at 0.80

I suggest you tell TC to stick his Cyprus Pounds somewhere where the sun don't shine.

You can find the official exchange rates at: http://www.bankofcyprus.com/currency.asp?lang=EN

Regards, Nigel
checked with Abbey - they charge £1.50 per withdrawl and 2.5% of the value.
thomas cook have them in Bournemouth for .80

getting mine next week as going to pathos on Wednesday the 10th - only 5 work days left and counting :lol:
It doesn't have to be a bank account with Nationwide either, you can just apply for a credit card

You will be charged though if using the Nationwide credit card for withdrawing cash abroad :roll: It's only the current account ie. the Flex account that doesn't charge for withdrawing abroad.
That's not the information I was given last week in my local branch. I was told it was definately on credit cards as well.
I've just checked on the Nationwide website and I am correct.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/travel/default.htm
But if you take out cash with a credit card you will be charged interest fro the date of the withdrawal.
Dawson and Sanderson were offering good rates today.
Best thing to do is take Nationwide Flex and Credit cards. Use the flex account card to withdraw cash from ATMs - there is one in the arrivals hall at Paphos airport so you don't need to take any £CY with you, just get it at the airport to start with. Then use your credit card for any large purchases, they don't charge you a fee like the other ones do. It's what I always do when I'm in Cyprus.
I've just checked on the Nationwide website and I am correct.

I'm afraid your wrong (see section g of the agreement) ALL credit cards charge for cash advances from ATMs and Nationwide are no different which is what I had said originally. The charge from the 4th May is 2% on the amount withdrawn with a minimum charge of £2.

They don't charge for using the card abroad for purchases (unlike many of the banks) but they most definitely charge for cash withdrwls whether you do it in the UK or abroad.

However the Flex current account which comes with a debit card neither charges for cash withdrawls or purchases as it's a Debit card. However to have a Flex account you need a regular amount going in before you can have the account ie: salary etc.

As a footnote I used to work for Nationwide at the Head Office :wink:
Sapphire,Nationwide do NOT insist on opening a flex account with an amount of money going in each month.I opened an Account in November with £50 as the cashier told me just to put in enough before I go on holiday to use for that purpose.I was amazed,but this is true.There is a large amount of posts regarding the Nationwide Flex account some where on the forums.I dont know how to put the link on but hopefully one of the mods will know where it is.
Will you Taffy's stop arguing, oh hang on i'm one of them as well lol.

I suggest the best place to get your money is in resort as you will get a better rate than over here.

I always use a chemist on the Protaras strip and will normally get 5-6 cents per £ better than over here at least.

I change enough normally to last me until I can change more in Cyprus.

Dont change your money in the hotel's though as the rate isn't as good.

Its good this year as I dont have to change any over here as i've got enough left from last year to pay for my taxi to Pernera then I can change all my money at a higher rate.

Marvellous stuff.
cardiff lad

do the english notes have to be brand new in order to change them or not. i work in a bank so can get some if need be. thanx.

lindsay.
No Lindsay, as long as they are legal tender sterling it's fine. I use notes I get from the cashpoints over here
hi can anyone advise the best places to change pound sterling into cypriot pounds in ayia napa many thenks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.