Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi Judith,
Consider Lagos in the west of the Algarve. It's a fishing town which has adapted to tourism without surrendering its Portuguese authenticity.Lagos was the port from which Henry the Navigator despatched his caravels on their voyages of discovery and the town reflects its historical connections. Europe's first slave market still stands in the town, though thankfully it now displays artworks.There's a huge selection of first class restaurants representing many countries' cuisines and bars range from quiet hole-in-the-wall locals' bars to those catering for the younger set, although it must be said that Lagos tends not to attract the rowdier holidaymakers, and the town is peaceful and well-policed.There is a modern marina which lies adjacent to the old, original fishing dock; from the former, you can take trips fishing, dolphin watching or just cruising with an onboard barbecue.
Lagos has a choice of beaches, from small, relatively private coves to a vast 5km. expanse of sand which reaches to the neighbouring resort of Alvor; most beaches boast clean and comfortable beach bars whose menus often compare well with established restaurants.
Being at the western end of the Algarve rail network, Lagos gives relatively quick, cheap and easy access to more easterly towns and resorts, whilst a short bus or car journey to the west will take you to small fishing villages as yet untouched by mass tourism.
I think you'll find that Lagos will provide everything you say you're lookin for.Just ask if you need any more information.
Sagres

Thanks, some relatives went to Lagos a few years ago and liked it, I hoped it hadn't changed too much.
I'll look into it.

Judith
It has to be said that Lagos, like almost every resort along the Algarve, has been subjected to much more development than those of us who have loved the area for many years feel has been justified or neccessary, but the beauty of the western resorts is that you are at the extremity of the development and close enough to access the, as yet, unspoilt end of the Algarve.
I'll look up a couple of links for you and send you a p.m.
As an alternative to the Algarve you might consider the Portugeuse Riviera..resorts such as Cascais and Estoril which are handy for visiting Lisbon and Sintra. Its a great area for a combined seaside/city/ country break particularly if you are prepared to drive. The low cost airlines fly to Lisbon so it need not be an expensive option.
I can put links on yet. :(

You may like to try the following, they are all www and followed by .co.uk

pureportugal
oceanviewapartments
quintadapedra
The walking season will just have started you should have a choice of two walks with Portugal walks and at least one with Irish walks.
I would always go west from Faro and avoid Albufeira and Villamoura (apart from the roman villa museum). You can find books for walks on the internet and get them from the library. Also see visitalgarge.pt
theres an awful lot there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.