Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Shamus I was in Jamaica 3 years ago and stated at the Riu Hotel in Montego Bay and loved it. It was in a gated area, like a lot of Hotels in Jamaica. There are some shops across a busy road plus a Burger King from Memory and I did walk across there and I felt safe. My son however, who is a smoker came with me on a trip and kept getting asked if he would like a 'smoke' and felt a little intimidated. I am a non smoker and 'older' so I was bothered by that, and was asked if I wanted a private taxi as a few locals had their cars outside the hotel, I was just polite and say no thanks and they left me alone.

Having said that, I would not have gone to main areas, Kingston etc on my own would not have felt comfortable to do so.

I did the 'Nine Mile Trip' Bob Marley House etc from this Hotel and from memory it was about an hour's trip away but worth it.

Not sure that this has been much help.

Edit to say I do plan on going back to Jamaica alone and will try the other side of the Country Ocho Rios - which is where Dunns River Falls is situated, and no to be missed IMHO.

Pinky
thanks for your help and advice, very much appreciated. Was the food good, i think ive been spoilt after going to mexico , where everything passed my expectations.
The food at the resort was lovely and the local specialty was Jerk Chicken and Jerk Pork - the Hotel I was in had a BBQ on the beach area each day where you could have this cooked fresh and eaten with fingers of course - lovely.
ah thanks it does sound lovely. When we were in mexico it was 24 hour alinclusive, you could have anything day or night so much choice of different foods .
The Riu was AI also and had food basically anytime of day and had the 'themed' restaurants, Chinese, Steak and and another (can't remember which ) plus the large restaurant serving buffet breakfast and dinner, with another restaurant available most of the day for lunch and snacking anytime.

I do like the Riu hotels they offer IMHO a a very good standard and for me a reasonable price. I was due to go to the RIU in Mexico this month, but unfortunately I had to cancel due to ill health
what lovely photos miss pink, thankyou, sorry to hear you couldnt go to mexico, hope you are well now, and that you do get to go. We have been twice, stayed at the rui cancun, and the iberostar tucan, both lovely hotels, prefered the tucan as it was in playacar, lovely resort, cancun was nice but really for all the clubbers.. Hope you get to go to mexico, once again thanks
Thanks Shamus, hopefully next year I will be able to go. I was going to stay at the Riu Cancun and was booked for that - I have since been looking at the Riu Palace Las Americas which seems to be next door, I note you said you preferred playacar is that a quieter resort?
Hi miss Pink , yes playa car is a quieter resort, you can walk to playa del carman where there is a lot of shops and restaurants, called 5th avenue, it really is beautiful, and the entertainment was fantastic, Cancun is also nice but its not so pretty.
Thanks for that. If you do decide to go to Jamaica I hope you have a wonderful time
Thank you miss pink, hope you enjoy Mexico as much as I did.
My wife and I are going to a weding at Secrets St James at end of August. Anyone been and what can we expect weather wise at that time of year please?
if youre staying at secrets st james, expect to have an unforgettable experience of getting spoiled. ;)
as for the weather...i think you should expect some rain but otherwise the weather should still be still be what you would expect for Jamaica.
Thanks for your info..greatly appreciated..hope to get a game of golf in too !!
Hi

thanks for the posts here. Very informative.

Wife and I are staying at Royalton White Sands next week in December.

What is Jamaica like for vegetarians? We usually go to Goa and veggies like my wife are spoilt for choice.

Thx

Graham
In the Riu Hotel's they cater for just about all food tastes, I am guessing in most hotels these days they cater for Vegetarians too so would not have thought it would be an issue.Why not drop them an e-mail just to find out - hope you have a lovely holiday :cheers
Shoeburyness, Essex
An optimal of two Blue Flag given beaches: East Beach is a combination of sand and gravels and has incapacitated entree, toilets and a lifeguard tower and Shoebury Public Beach is extra for the excitement searcher and is general with jet skiers and wind surfers. Straight trains from Fenchurch Street: 1hr 3 mins.
I had a chance to stay at Grand Lido Negril Resort & Spa but it was a company sponsored trip. I definitely can't afford to stay at this hotel and I'm very thankful to my boss for that wonderful opportunity :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.