Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Hi Michelle,
there are plenty of companies you could get a quote from. We DIY now but in the past have used Premier Holidays, Kuoni, BA Holidays, Hayes and Jarvis among others. We found Premier to be the best.

Your spread of days seems OK. I'd go for 10 days on the beach at the end simply because its a long way to go for a holiday so might as well stay as long as you can. As for Phuket its a large island with a number of resort areas on it ranging from the very lively to the very quiet. It has some great beaches and along with the other areas of Thailand you're looking at some great hotels. I would certainly pick Phuket over Pattaya. Plenty of trips to do as well including visits to Phi Phi island and Phang Nga bay. You could try a sea canoe trip in Phang Nga bay visiting hongs which are ring donut shaped islands where the central lagoon is reached at low tide by taking the canoe through the ring into the centre of the island. A longer trip could take you snorkelling at the Similan Islands. Take a look at http://www.phuket.com for some ideas on beaches trips and hotels on Phuket. Its a commercial site but has some good photos of whats around.

If you like shopping then you'll love Thailand. Bangkok has huge shopping malls, and street markets. Chaing Mai handicraft shopping, villages devoted to silk and ceramic production. Even Phuket has plenty of retail opportunities.

Visiting the river Kwai would be a day trip from Bangkok. Trips to the Grand Palace and various temple complexes in Bangkok are easily arranged. Or you could even do the trips under your own steam.
Michelle

Can't add much to what Sunbear says but my very first visit to Thailand some years ago was pretty similar to what you are planning. I booked the trip with Kuoni and stayed 4 nights in Bangkok where they had arranged a package of three days of tours for us. I remember we went to the floating market on one day, the River Kwai another and The Grand Palace on a third. We had one day free when we explored on our own. We then had 3 nights in Chang Mai where again a couple of tours had already been arranged for us and we spent 5 nights on the beach in HuaHin. Everything ran smoothly, we were picked up at hotels airports etc., it wasn't a tailormade tour as such as all of the tours were already part of what Kuoni offered in each destination. The company were quite willing to add or deduct days in each destination as per our needs.

Since then I have travelled to Thailand a number of times independently but it was good the first time to have all arrangements taken care of, especially as I had my 16yr old neice along with me and I would have hated for there to be any problems, though as Sunbear said trips are easily arranged in Bangkok. One tip I have thought of is to try and book a hotel when in Bangkok near to a Skytrain station. The trains are easy to use, airconditioned (a blessing in the humidity and heat of the city) and although taxis aren't expensive the traffic is often very slow and snarled up.
An alternative to hotels in Bangkok near the Skytrain is to get a hotel on the riverside. Many have boat shuttles that will take you to the nearest skytrain station, and the river is a fascinating place to be be (and a bit cooler) and also a great way of getting around as there are public passenger boats that ply up and down river stopping at a number of public piers. The Shangri-La has maybe best of both worlds as its near a skytrain station and on the river. Some of our members have stayed there.

You'll find with Thailand the sheer amount of choice of hotels, destinations etc the biggest problem :). If theres a hotel you fancy thats not offered by a particular operator you want to use its worth asking if they could do it for you.
Thank you so much Sunbear and Judith for your information, we cannot wait to go.

We have had quotes from freedom asia of £4500 and more or less the same itinerary with Virgin for £3000 :que

I am now letting my friends at co op travelcare look at the prices and see what they can do.

I am just wondering (please don't laugh ;) ) is there any sea sickness tabs that can be bought in Thailand or from home. I do suffer on the sea, i hear that they are small Island boats. I do not want to embarrass myself with the motion etc.

Thank you

Michelle x
Michelle

I don't normally get seasick but have in the past suffered from motion sickness when travelling for any length of time on a car or coach. I used to take Stugeron but the last time I bought Boots brand Travelcalm pills, they both helped to an extent but the worst thing was that they made me very drowsy and when I took the Stugeron I actually fell asleep on the coach and missed a lovely part of the journey.

Judith
Plenty of pharmacies in Thailand including Boots. I've bought travel sick pills at Bangkok Airport before at the Boots there. I'm not great on boats either, but it hasn't stopped me from going on many a boat trip in Thailand.
Lucky you, off to Thailand :)
We've just come back from our first time. We stayed 2 weeks and fitted so much in. As far as prices go, have you thought about doing it DIY? We booked our flights first then booked everything else as and when. I am sure we saved alot by doing it this way. If you find a hotel you like, just trawl the internet and contact the hotel for a priceou. You have plenty of time to bag yourself a bargain! If you go on sea trips, they will offer you sea sickness tablets but you can buy them in any pharmacy if you want to be prepared. Although our trip was on a 'good day' on the way back we had a storm and, lets just say, I am glad I had taken a tablet!! Have fun and ask away. I love the planning nearly as much as the holiday itself :sun2 jennyt
Jenny
Would love to hear more about your holiday :)
Ask away, Fiona. Anything in particular you want to hear about?

Jenny :)
Right, Fiona, you did ask for it........ ;)

We flew from London Heathrow to Bangkok. Because of the floods back in November, we stayed nearer the airport at the beginning of our holiday before flying up to Chiang Mai, two days later. The hotel was 5 minutes from the airport and was super. We had a pool which was really a must in the heat that we weren't used to :sun2 We got the Skytrain into the centre of Bangkok and it was brilliant. The locals are so very, very friendly and smile at you, even on the train (unlike the London underground ;) )

We ate street food which is so delicious and rode in tuk tuks which are fun if not a bit scary! Went to the Emerald Palace and Reclining Budda. We were going to do the Grand Palace at the end of our tirip (see end of report!!)

Bangkok is mad, but we loved it.

Two days later, we flew with Bangkok Airways, up to Chiang Mai. We were going to take the overnight train but, because of the floods, the trains weren't running so we had to re-think and book flights.

Chiang Mai was our favorite place in Thailand. It was beautiful. Again, scrummy food, even the street food so cheap and lovely. The people lovely and the shops and bars. The weather was perfect too. Took a tuk tuk up to the Snake Village and generally showed us around. He took us to a gold factory which they tend to as they get commission but we werent there 15 minutes and weren't under pressure to buy anything, so no harm done, He didnt charge us hardly anything either. Next day we had already booked a tuk tuk tour from the UK to the Tiger Kingdom and the Elephant Camp which were fantastic. He also took us to the factories but one was a parasol factory which was brilliant and we bought some lovely, cheap gifts and souvenirs.

The night bazaars in Chiang Mai are great and the Sunday walking market even better. There is literally hundreds of stalls selling their wares and at very cheap prices.

If you only see one thing in Chiang Mai, I suggest you make it the Doi Suthep temple. Its set up in the mountain and over looks Chiang Mai and it is truly beautiful. You can get a tuk tuk up there cheap and its costs next to nothing to get in. Remember you have to cover knees and shoulders, ladies and gents to enter temples!

We stayed there for 5 days before flying dowm to Phuket with Air Asia.
We stayed at Nai Yang, only 5 minutes from the airport but there is no aircraft noise and there is a lovely, clean beach and just a scattering of bars, shops and restaurants which suited us fine.
Whilst there we booked two boat trips, one to Phang Nga Bay and one to Coral Island. Phang Nga Bay is caves and Coral Island is, literally, white sands, crystal clear waters and snorkelling. If you book boat trips, be careful who you book with as health and safety isn't always an issue in Thailand and some trips looked very overbooked and not fun. Feel free to PM me if you need more details on this as I don't want to slate anyone on an open forum!!

After 5 relaxing days in the Phuket area, we flew back to Bangkok and spent our last 2 days in Thailand there and stayed in the Silom area, not far from the Shangra La. We visited the Grand Palace which is amazing and shouldn't be missed. We took a tuk tuk here too. Chatuchak
market which is on a Sunday is well worth a visit but, be warned, it is huge and the heat doesn't do you any favours!! You an buy mostly anything you want here and if you were visiting Bangkok on a Sunday before flying home you could buy all your goodies here.

I have been running on and you're probably bored lol There is much more but my mind has gone blank! Please feel free to ask me anything and I will do my best to answer.
Thailand is wonderful and I want to go back, NOW!!!

jennyt
Jenny
I must have known you were going to post and checked in minutes later :rofl
Great report- it sounds like my idea of a wonderful holiday. It makes me wish I had another holiday there booked. Must get to Chiang Mai sometime. Thanks Jenny
For some reason, I had to type it on a blank page and copy and paste to here as the more i typed on here, the more difficult it got!

Never mind! Glad you enjoyed the read. I meant to add massages. Massages in Chiang Mai were the best. We had 4 in 5 days! We found a lovely place and the massages were 150THB for a 1 hour foot massage, and 250THB for a full body massage. Thats £3/£5!! How mad is that?!

We love football and managed to find a bar, The Red Lion (Chiang Mai), that shows the Premiership games if anyone is interested. They serve food and drink and is well worth a visit. It had a market right out and it was a Saturday if some of your party wanted the football and some didnt

Fiona, you would love Chiang Mai, we did. Its so, Thai :rofl The culture and everything is so fab.

Anyone visiting Thailand soon have a great time but I am green with envy ;)

jennyt
Its always paste to copy and paste incase you accidently lose your post here, as I experienced in the past when I pressed post after a long report and the site went down. :yikes
I know what you mean though- it jumps about all over the place.
;) Might be worth noting...if you're intending to go to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai maybe NOT the best time to go March/April. This is the time when the farmers burn their fields and not only is the air pollution very bad but you won't be able to see much either :( We're now having a rethink :duh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.