Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Hi :D
Not sure of the current cost (used to be around £15/20 mark). You're best getting the hydrofoil for a daytrip as it only takes 45 mins from Rhodes to Marmaris.
Very easy to book, if you're staying in or near Rhodes Town you'd be best to book directly with the operators in the harbour. If you're staying in the South book with a rep or local agent as they'll include coach transfer.
No particular day to visit - whenever suits you!
I went on the trip, but wouldn't recommand.

We spent nearly 2hours travelling there on a crowded boat and only had a 3 hours when arriving in Marmaris, which included being told about carpets & visiting a turkish delight shop and then the hassle we received off the turks was mad- they got very rude & angry if you didn't buy anything! :shock: And then we had the dreaded 2hour journey back on the boat which was crowded and very rocky! :bhead

It cost us 30 euros from Faliraki and then you pay I think it was 19 euros port tax before you get on the boat.
Avoid some of the criticism above (carpet and Turkish delight shops) by popping down to Mandraki harbour and booking independently.
its not criticism......

its my opinion... we were dragged around a turkish delight factory & shown carpets for over an hour, therefore wasting an hour out of the 3 we had there. Most of the guests on the trip weren't very pleased, no-one was told that we were going to go to these places :cry:

I just wouldn't recommend it thats all.

But i would add, book it yourself along the harbour or in one of the shops if you do want to go, its very expensive to book through the tour op. It would have been 88euros EXCLUDING port tax through our tour op, we only paid 30euros.
Definitely go for the hydrofoil, it sounds like Claire got the ferry? Most day trips go by hydrofoil/flying dolphin as it leaves very early getting you into Marmaris in 45 mins and doesn't set back til around 3.
Many Tour Ops or organised excursions visit a Carpet shop/similar to 'introduce' you to Turkey and there will be commission involved! If you wish to do your own thing you can, you've paid to spend the time as YOU wish.
Yes, i did travel there by ferry and the ride was not too good. :yuck

So i would def recommend going by hydrofoil as marcus mentioned.
Thanks very much for your help, but I think I will go on the hydrofoil
Try Datca market on Saturdays. You will need your passport and there is still the visa charge but the prices are so cheap that it doesn't matter.
Hi, Does any body know how much the boat trip from Rhodes to Turkey costs,and how long it takes.. :)
Before Greece changed currency, you could go on Mandraki Harbour at the last minute and do a bit of bartering.
I went there just after they changed and they wouldn't budge a cent.
In the end it was cheaper going up into the town and buying tickets from an agent. I think the boat owners got a bit greedy for a while.
I'll give it another try next October
Sorry I can't help with the pricing. It was about €27.
When I did the trip from Marmaris to Rhodes it cost £25, not sure if it is the same going from Rhodes to Marmaris.
You have to go to the agent the day beofre with your passport.
I think prices are inclusive of £10 port tax.
I went by hydrofoil which says it takes 50 mins, but realistically takes an hour.
It was in April and the sea was pretty rough-lots of puking going on. I would definitly recommend going, but make sure the sea is calm!!!
Be sure when your buying something in the Marmaris bazaar that your change is correct, or try giving the right amount you agree on. There are sooooo many zero's on the lira notes sometimes its hard to tell what exactly your getting back.

In some shops traders try and grab your attention as they approach you with your change, may be by a cheeky remark or by a little pressure to buy something else, because he wants you to feel slightly intimidated and that you'll want to leave quickly.

They're amazingly freindly people and most speak very good english, and can be extremely funny as well. They don't physically pull you into their shops like they do in Bodrum.

Marmaris harbour is fantastic, and lunch is slightly costlier there but the view of the pristine gulets all beautifully prepared are a joy to see whilst dining. 8)
It is a trip worth doing. Apart from the bazaar, I'd recommend walking up to the old castle. Very nice & you get a terrific view of the marina area. Also nice to wander around the windy narrow streets in this part of the old town.
But I would warn about the return journey! Our trip from Rhodes was like a millpond & took 50 mins, but the return journey took nearly 2 hours & it was REALLY rough. Very unpleasant and scary! :yikes Having spoken to others I think this is the norm as the wind seems to change in the afternoon. Having said that I'm glad I did the trip as it definitely added to my Rhodes holiday. :)
( I know you didn't ask, but I'd really recommend the trip to Symi....a lovely island)
Dont worry about the zero's with the Turkish lira they changed their money last year and dropped the noughts.sioux :wink:
how long does the boat take and do you get to go off in marmarmis as im going to rhodes and want to go see a few friends that are in marmaris at the time?
The boat takes about an hour and leaves early from the port,around 8:30,when you get to marmaris port it's quite a way into town so a taxi is the best bet,it's about 7 euros,best thing to do is go through the customs point and head straight out of the entrance past where the buses pull up,you'll see loads of yellow taxis there,takes 5 minutes to get into marmaris but it's a large working town more than a resort so best off getting your friends hotel details or get them to find a really well known landmark where the taxi can take you. As said above it's 50 euros and must be booked 24 hours before you go,and you'll need to submit your passport when you book. money wise you can just use Euros or sterling if you want,we never bother with lira and gone are the days when you'd pay in one currency but get the change back in Lira,the only thing you need liras for really is to use the public toilets,but they'll give you coins for a euro coin anyway. Be careful coming back if you decide to buy fags,the turks will sell you as many as you want,even in the port duty free shop,but the greeks can be strict when you come back onto the island and they WILL take them off of you if you're caught over your allowance,especially if you don't speak greek.

Personally i don't think much of marmaris for anything other than a change of scene for us workers that just want a day out off of the island,the shopping in Rhodes town is just as good if not better,unless you want to buy loads of fakes,in which case turkey is the place to go but bargain hard and be prepared to walk away,after all most of the stuff will fall apart/shrink/fade etc in a few weeks no matter how good it looks in the shop.

If you want a more authentic and picturesque place get the trip to Datca instead,or do some research into the area and go over for 2 days instead of one and get the bus elsewhere on the peninsula,or further inland,it's a beautiful country worthy of more than a flying visit to a bazaar. and the people are great.
do they let you go off though and do your own thing or do you have to stay with a guide?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.