Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I've booked lots of times with Travel Republic and never had any problems. They get my vote :tup
If the choice is either / or - I would go for Travel Republic every time.

I've often used sunshine.co.uk for my parents holiday accommodation but they only allow you to use a UK card for that, so being based in Cyprus - for our own online bookings, we use Travel Republic.

I think there may have been a few bad reports of OTB?
I have used Travel Public too without any problems but do ensure that you read their T&Cs carefully if booking more than just accommodation through them - you need to understand that you are booking each component separately. If one falls through (eg flights are cancelled) then you are still committed to paying for the other elements. It's not like a package where you could cancel the whole booking.

SM
They are both major players in the online travel agent industry (Travel Republic carry more passengers each year). Travel Republic have a better website to search for holidays (quicker, nicer design). I've never actually booked with either of them (searched on both sites a lot though) but the reviews on the web are all very positive - i think they are both rated 4.5 out of 5 on review centre for example. In a nutshell I don't think you could go to far wrong with either of them!
used both and depends on holiday picked which is cheapest. had no (major) problems with either.
I was disappointed on one hol to Zants with TR with the length of time for transfers.

However I am fully aware that should things go pear shaped I am on my own.
I wouldn't touch OTB with a 10' barge pole. TR with an 8' one, although to be fair, since TR was sold they do seem to have fairer terms and conditions than before. I'm a great believer in chopping out the middleman wherever possible, especially when they're not doing anything you can't do for yourself.
. I'm a great believer in chopping out the middleman wherever possible, especially when they're not doing anything you can't do for yourself.

I think that is fair enough when all other things are equal but sometimes they are not. For example, when Jet2 started charging for checked in baggage, for a time you could book through TR for the same basic ticket price but INCLUDING a 22kgs checked in baggage allowance so when booking for a family trip for 6 of us that was a saving worth making. Yes, it could have gone wrong but I decided it was worth the risked it all worked out fine.

Similarly, I have booked hotel rooms and apartments via them in Seville and Granada through Jumbo Tours because it was far cheaper than either booking direct with the hotels or with other agents who were offering that same accommodation. Again all went well and in Seville it meant that I could afford a better grade of hotel in a much nicer and more convenient location for where I was attending an academic conference.

Yes, you have less comeback if things don't go absolutely right but they have never gone wrong for me with TR so cannot comment on that from personal experience but sometimes using a middleman pays off if they have been able to negotiate a better deal than you can yourself dealing direct.

SM
I don't think they do a barge pole long enough for me :D Just not the way I go about making bookings , but I've a friend at work who's used them and no problem and as in a earlier post very positive with reviews and equating to a 90% approval , wow , most companies would be pleased with that I imagine .

As long as you find what you want and you're happy with EVERYTHING , then great , we all have reasons for making our own particular choices .

I have checked prices on there for specific accommodations but they were no cheaper , perhaps I'm too fussy :que
SMa wrote:
. I'm a great believer in chopping out the middleman wherever possible, especially when they're not doing anything you can't do for yourself.

I think that is fair enough when all other things are equal but sometimes they are not. For example, when Jet2 started charging for checked in baggage, for a time you could book through TR for the same basic ticket price but INCLUDING a 22kgs checked in baggage allowance so when booking for a family trip for 6 of us that was a saving worth making. Yes, it could have gone wrong but I decided it was worth the risked it all worked out fine.

Similarly, I have booked hotel rooms and apartments via them in Seville and Granada through Jumbo Tours because it was far cheaper than either booking direct with the hotels or with other agents who were offering that same accommodation. Again all went well and in Seville it meant that I could afford a better grade of hotel in a much nicer and more convenient location for where I was attending an academic conference.

Yes, you have less comeback if things don't go absolutely right but they have never gone wrong for me with TR so cannot comment on that from personal experience but sometimes using a middleman pays off if they have been able to negotiate a better deal than you can yourself dealing direct.

SM

I'm one of those people who doesn't book on price. It would have to be an awful lot cheaper to entice me to book via an OTA.
It's not like TR negotiate with anyone, they just use a bedbank who pay dirt cheap rates on rooms. The problem with bedbanks customers is because they pay a pittance, they're the first to get bumped when the hotel sells some of their allocated rooms to direct bookers who pay rack rates.
I'm one of those people who doesn't book on price. It would have to be an awful lot cheaper to entice me to book via an OTA.
It's not like TR negotiate with anyone, they just use a bedbank who pay dirt cheap rates on rooms. The problem with bedbanks customers is because they pay a pittance, they're the first to get bumped when the hotel sells some of their allocated rooms to direct bookers who pay rack rates..

Well, a third of the rack rate did it for me! It kept a decent hotel within the expenses limit for work. The alternative was either a very basic hostale or pay the difference out of my own pocket so it was worth taking the chance as far as I was concerned. There are times when some of us have no alternative other than to book on price if we are to get away at all. After all, it's what keeps the likes of Ryanair going - now there is an airline that can never be cheap enough to tempt me to book with them because of the way I have been treated by them but I accept that others haven't had problems and seem satisfied with the service they get.

SM
I think most people do book on price nowadays. Even if you have a great travel agent who gives you loads of useful advice you still expect a great deal as well and not to pay over the odds. Just the same as shopping in stores really.
I'd agree with cutting out the middle man wherever possible - I'm sure smaller independent TAs are much better, but don't try and call an online one - I've just had my dates messed up by STA travel - which of course isn't their fault (apparently it's normal to book flights to arrive a day after your tour starts and depart a day after it finishes...... I digress)

Point being travel republic are good online, I think you also tend to take more time to check details as you're doing it all yourself, so more chance of getting it right!
It sometimes works out cheaper to book with someone like Travel Republic than booking direct. I would cost all options and go with the cheapest.
STA (or Student Travel Association as was - from memory they were originally owned by the NUS) are an interesting hybrid aimed at a niche budget market. Though they do have an ATOL number, not everything they sell will be covered by that because the majority of holidays they sell are based on a tours organised by them but minus the flights. Their brochure and website quotes prices for tours minus travel to the country they are located in. The flights are booked and sold separately which is probably the cause of the problem experienced by eleniPap. You are literally on your own until you arrive at the meeting point in your destination.

Their headline pricing policy makes them look quite cheap but by the time you check out what isn't included and how much you will need to take with you for additional costs (such as food!) and then add on your flights it can be, in my opinion quiet expensive for what you are getting. I looked into them when considering doing an extended tout of Cuba and in the end it was much cheaper to just hand myself over to Havantur and leave it all up to them - and it was cheaper despite for part of the tour having my own personal driver and guide rather than being part of a group!

Not much consolation I know to eleniPap now but even I who does use the likes of TR would suggest that STA are a TA to be wary of!

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.