DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
thanks :) read through it, it is cheaper me going direct than through a agent, but there was one agent that the holiday worked out about the same and that was travel republic, but that was with a no frills airline? it was 1700 for a no frills airline and going myself through thomas cook, and hotel and the transfers was cheaper, but i am unsure if it is worth the risk as unsure about travel republic as dont know whether safe as was booking with sunmasters but the reviews put me off, with usual places like thomas cook, first choice etc i am more looking at least 2500 for the same holiday but a cheaper standard hotel :(
Dawn, only you can decide whether it's worth taking your chances and booking flight and hotel separate which would seem to make you substantial savings as compared to a package. If it was me, I wouldn't hesitate to use travel republic if it was saving me considerable money but that's because my personal experience of using them (more than once) has been exemplory.

Just bear in mind, in the extreme event that your flights get changed or cancelled (no more a chance of that happening than if you'd booked with one of the big companies) you would still be held liable for your accomodation costs as your hotel would still be available to you. In those circumstances you could ask the hotel to alter your dates to fit in with the new flights. However, if you're booking your accomodation direct with the hotel, very often you can cancel quite close to the date without losing your money.
Be aware that Travel Republic are agents, but they don't sell package holidays. You are buying each element separately and if one fails, you are still liable for the other elements as Shirley says. However I am sure TR would help you find an alternative if for example the flight was cancelled or changed.

luci :wave
its very hard isnt it, the hotel was only a couple of hundred so if something went wrong suppose that isnt a massive amount to have to pay out but with thomas cook i am sure its unlikely for flight to be cancelled, its just that fear of doing it seperate myself, worried i will get to the country and not booked hotel properly or the transfer wont show up lol would save me alot of money if i did diy
Dawn, would you be totally new to booking on line i.e. Do you usually book your package holiday through thomson, thomas cook etc on line through their website or do you normally book in a travel agent's shop?
i usually book online with travel agents like thomas cook etc, but if shop will go to the same price i book instore, but more so online :)
i have sat here for hours trying to find decent prices but it is not happening, doing a diy holiday seems the best bet or to go with travel republic
For next Easter, I have booked my flights to Malta with Easy Jet & booked my hotel with Travel Republic. I booked my flights first, then booked my accommodation. I've done this many times in the past, & not had any problems.
dawn,
i have used TR many times and any small problems i have had have been dealt with very quickly, and satisfactorily.
the secret to booking through TR, and other companies like them is to get your flights booked first, as this is the bit most prone to change.
once you have confirmation of your flight, then sort out accomodation.

TR do give you a guarantee that if one of their suppliers fails to provide a service you get your money back for that service only
this is a little help in making you feel more secure about your booking.

although the chances of your holiday going belly up are minimal, it is good practice to have a plan B, so do a bit of research and check out alternative hotels in the resort you have chosen so that if anything does go wrong with the booking at the last minute you have an idea of what alternative hotels are and are not acceptable to you. this saves you any last minute panic, and reduces the chance of you ending up in a hotel miles from where you want to be, or one with really lousy reviews.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.