UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
I surprised myself with how many of them I had visited! I've been to all those mentioned in Devon and Cornwall and the one in Dorset, those on Pembrokeshire and the one on Kent as well as the one in North Wales on the Lleyn peninsula. The big omission is that I have never visited the Gower and the even bigger one is that I haven't been to those particular ones in the Western Isles despite living up here.

I'm not usually a nationalist about these things but I was surprised at there only being 3 from Scotland and none from mainland Scotland either. I don't have time at the moment but will post some links to pics of other contenders in Scotland later.

SM
Thats what I would call a beach, not some tiny little patch of sand in amongst the cliffs
It is a massive beach and we also have the main beach in Aberdeen which is also very long but not surrounded by cliffs, I am lucky as I can look out for my living room window and see the sea. I think the best beaches category wasn't really about the beaches but about the setting they are in.
I think that this list reflects the photographer's preference for dramatic cliff-enclosed bays whereas I suspect that the three of us prefer the sort of dramatic sweep of beach backed by dunes like Balmedie and which we have in profusion on the east coast of Scotland and in the far north. Any list of the best beaches in the UK should contain at least one from Sutherland or on the Moray Firth to my mind.

SM
Rhossili Beach on Gower is listed on TA as one of the top beaches in the world. It's a huge sandy beach that stretches for miles and even on sunny Bank Holiday days never seems really crowded. From 1992 to 2007 I visited a friend who lived within walking distance of the beach and spent happy hours exploring the area.
She moved back to England in 2007 so I no longer visit the area but as she has moved to Dorset I'm still able to visit one of the UK's areas of natural beauty.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-26625340
shrimper wrote:
Thats what I would call a beach, not some tiny little patch of sand in amongst the cliffs

I much prefer a small cove type beach surrounded by cliffs :tup
Cornwall has stunning beaches and is also lots of rugged coastline, the area is especially good for walkers
Runswick Bay - North Yorks.

Nothing better on a beautiful sunny day, having a pint in the royal and if a big swell is running watching and getting a few waves
jennifer91 wrote:
Runswick Bay - North Yorks.

Nothing better on a beautiful sunny day, having a pint in the royal and if a big swell is running watching and getting a few waves

Hi Jennifer and welcome. Runs wick Bay is in my neck off the woods along with another cute one, Robin Hoods Bay :tup
Yes Robin Hood's Bay and the coastal walk from Whitby is lovely.

I think a lot of those pictures have been photoshopped to boost the colours - however the Gower peninsular and around Tenby is a wonderful stretch of coast.

We often travel to Northumberland and very much enjoy the area around Bamburgh.

Colin
I visited Brighton sand & sculpture festival last year and it was awesome))really great works and artists, i was amazed how people can made such things from sand. So if you want not just lay on the beach, it will be interesting....maybe you even decide to go there next year)
Grace Bay...

Extraordinarily flawless, clean water with hundreds of shades of blues and greens and white sugar shingle coasts
Crackington Haven, Cornwall - really is stunning.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.