Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Yup, stay away from Vaci Utca, use the bars where the locals drink, you'll have a much better time.
Guy's i'm sorry you had a hard time in Budapest but we (6 of us) went on a stag do there last April and had no trouble at all! We stayed at the Ibis Centrum which was located right next to the underground - perfect for exploring the city!

In relation to the Strip clubs, we only had a problem in 1 we went in - basically we went in too early and got hassle cos the girls didn't have anyone else to dance for :lol: In the end we had 2 beers...paid up and left - simple as! There's was another one we went in - right round the corner from where we were staying and that was great... No hassle and you didn't even have to have a dance if you didn't want to!

You must have had bad luck guy's... we got lost a couple of times round the "back" streets and ended up in a local student club (That may not sound too bad but a couple of our guy's were mid 40's... :lol: ) They didn't even bat an eye lid to us... Another time we got lost, asked for directions in a local pub, and the locals couldn't have been more friendly/helpful towards us! They even told us how to get to the football stadium as their home team(Ferencvaros) was playing on the sunday which we went to.

I wouldn't hesistate to go back there and would recommend it - It's no worse than any other major city you visit around the world. Keep your witts about you and you'll be fine!
Come on guys! If you can't recognise a pick-up when you see one you shouldn't be let out on your own. And going into a lapdancing bar 'for a drink' while your mates get ready? And even after the previous night's experience it still took him 10 mins to realise that he was watching a performance that he'd be expected to pay for? The whole point of clip joints like this the world over is to part the punters from their money. Next time pick somewhere that hasn't been taken over by the stag night market for your city break and you'll find that you'll escape this sort of hassle quite easily.

SM
Come on guys! If you can't recognise a pick-up when you see one you shouldn't be let out on your own.

Ok mr perfect, no need for the rudeness :roll:

For you information, 2 years ago 8 of us went on my stag weekend to Amsterdam, & we thought if we are going to get ripped off anywhere in the world this would be the place. Completely the opposite happened, we found all the places we went in were completely above board and honest about their charges. I would go back to Amsterdam tomorrow but would never return to Budapest.
it still took him 10 mins to realise that he was watching a performance that he'd be expected to pay for?

I didn't say he didn't expect to pay for it, what he didn't expect was over £400 for 10 mins.
Be careful anywhere I suppose? Something similar happened to friends of ours when in Prague. Ended up locked in some bar, paying huge prices and threatened with beatings if they didnt pay up!! All because a couple of pretty girls invited them in for a drink and they couldnt say no! Poor fools ended up paying a fortune for a few drinks! :(
Hi Nigel2004,

The reason why I'm perfect is because I'm a woman :-)

Amsterdam is the last place I'd expect anybody to be ripped off because the sex industry in the Netherlands is highly regulated by the state, including inspections etc. Whereas in the old eastern bloc it isn't and just like in the Soho of the 1950s it is ripe for infiltration by organised crime. In fact the women you encountered could well have been victims themselves of the people trafficking activities of the same criminal outfits.

The lesson is that if you want a weekend away in a sex tourism destination or one that is heavily frequented by stag party groups make sure that you don't book a hotel in one of the seedier/red light parts of town. And if you know that you are planning to frequent strip clubs and the sort of bars that are frequented by young women who approach complete strangers on the street to accompany them - go somewhere where it's regulated and the police take an active role in ensuring that the rules are kept to by all concerned. Remember the sex industries in most countries are exploitative and that includes exploiting the customer and not just the workers.

SM

PS And take it from me that if you are a group of 40+ men and you get picked up off the street by a couple of pretty girls then they're not dazzled by your suave good looks but are more likely to be overwhelmed by the anticipated weight of your wallets :-)
SM wrote:
The reason why I'm perfect is because I'm a woman

That tickled me that one... :lol:

SM wrote:
PS And take it from me that if you are a group of 40+ men and you get picked up off the street by a couple of pretty girls then they're not dazzled by your suave good looks but are more likely to be overwhelmed by the anticipated weight of your wallets

Very true as well, but there's a couple of sayings that fit quite nicely with blokes:-

1) When beers in...witts out! That means if there's a couple of girlies giving you attention then you automatically think your "in there" which leads to my next point...

and

2) God gave men 2 brains but only enough blood to run one at once... :wink:

Sounds like Nigel and his mates unfortunately combined both of the above together... :lol:
Sorry to hear that. On my first night in Budapest last summer, we walked right along Vati Utca and saw none of this 'dangerous area' worry!

Got be honest though and say you must be very gullible to even be led to a bar by two girls off the street. It is surely obvious that they were touts leading you to a bar where prices are going to be massive!?

If going to Budapest, head to Raday Utca. Some great bars and restaurants.
I wouldn't have said Vaci Utca (the bit where the Taverna Hotel is at least) is in a dangerous area. It's the main shopping district and right in the centre.

Anyone complaining of the high price of drinks in places like Budapest and Prague have clearly been drinking in the 'naughty' places. :lol:
Vaci Utca isn't dodgy it's Budapest's Oxford St. Been to Buda a couple of time once with the chaps to See Man Utd play and once with the Mrs as I liked it so much first time and I had no hassle at all
too be honest with you, if you go to eastern europe and dont read the warnings about pretty girls coming onto you (does it happen to you in england? no? then why would it happen here!!), expensive rouge taxis, exchange rates at street vendors and dodgy tached men and sex bars charging o-t-t prices then your as daft as a brush! we go in, tell the bouncers we dont want dances, we pay for the drinks as they come and never buy the lady a drink. carefull planning saves a lot of money. never sit near a table with empty bottles, never let them dance for you unless in a booth and NEVER BUY THE LADY A MYSTERY DRINK! enjoy eastern europe, but always be wary that not everybody is friendly. i stayed near vaci ucta, next to fat moes, and never had any problems. even went to the 'the bank' nightclub. got ripped going in (i thought i might) but it was only £1 a drink inside. no problems with anybody. hope this helps any stag doo's going.

always exchange at banks.
never get in a taxi before agreeing a price (barter hard)
never run up a tab at a strip joint
always try fat moes music club
eat some food at the west end shopping mall.
OK Vaci Utca isn't a dangerous place to be but the 'Friendly Girls' were out in force there when we visited!

:wink:
I know you don t need lecture but its the oldest trick in the book. Girls even do that in Paris as well as many other cities. In prague i saw loads of young girls trying to lure older gentlemen into a certain bar. When a girl comes over just like that you should be suspicious.

Though sometimes you can be unlucky. We once stayed in a hotel in Paris as a family of 5 but what we didn t know was the hotel owner had an agreement with the local prostitutes. So on the first night we had strange women knocking at the door asking for money! Absolute nightmare! Needless to say we left immediately and changed hotels. Terrible first impression of a city!!!!But that hotel was part of list recommended to us. Do some good research in to the area you are going into before booking. Unfortunatly this incident happened 10 years ago before we had the internet or even a computer so there was no real way of knowing. You could have asked the travel agents but couldn t have relied on them to tell the truth. if anything sounds too good to be true it is!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.