Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I happened to be in the bank the other day and the cashier was checking the currency float , I asked how much for 30 dollars and paid £19.50 , so I can pop 15 in each passport and get through without too much bother .
I think that is what I am going to do Andy. While I am doing it I might ask if they have 10 X $1 bills as I think a dollar is about 60p, as a fail safe against being able to any low denomination LE early on in the holiday.

I really dislike the practice of tipping with pound coins as the only way the Egyptians can change them is by plaugeing other tourists which is annoying for all concerned & a £1 coin is too big a tip for a lot of the services you recieved.

I'd rather tip more people a reasonable amount money than a few people a lot - sort of spread it about a bit !

Doe :sun2
That's what I do , I popped into travelex at tesco and ask them for 50 x 1 dollar bills and still have plenty left for my upcoming trip, they are ideal for miscellaneous tips like for luggage carrying etc and to avoid hassle and offence in everyday situations , of course I would tip more for room cleaning and pool service , restaurant service etc , if you have struck up conversation and few times and they have looked after you all week. I know 60p doesn't sound a lot especially to us , but I'm sure they can treat themselves and is worth more to them than it is to us, also I've had Egyptians come up to me with a handful of pound coins wanting to exchange them and some of them have been fake , I can't believe that people tip with fake coins , what a cheek that really is quite low.
Ive heard that but it was told to me from another view point, it was that the fake coins are made out there and they slip a couple in with 8 or 9 genuine ones :yikes it's a kind of cottage industry or as we would call it s c a m. Another reason a) never to tip with them (could end up being another Brits grief) and b) never to change them back into a tenner or 20, as you normally do it on the hop so wouldn't notice.

I think a dollar is an adequate tip the cost of living there is very low, and they can change $ bills at their banks.

sorry Graham gone well off topic
Hello,
Can anyone tell me is it still $15 each for the visa or has it gone up?
It's still $15 dollars when I went in 2012, went twice, once through Hurgarda airport and once through Marsa Alam.
Thanks Doe, we last went in 2011, looking forward to next month now!! x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.