Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Cairo trip
6 Posts
I first went to cairo on a trip over from Cyprus and that was very rushed, but we never got to do the Nile.

Next year i am taking my mum and her friend with us, and they said to me that they couldn't possibly go to Egypt without doing the pyramids and the Sphinx etc. So we are going over again, but this time on a plane from Sharm and doing it that way. If you went on the coach although still enjoyable, it would seem rushed, but on the plane it only takes approx an hour, so you have more time there, and do the Nile.

Of course it isnt the same as DIY and i wouldnt have the confidence to do that myself, but i am quite happy with a guide, the pyramids are amazing and massive. I cannot wait to go again.

Please don't be put off, there will be members on here i am sure done a Diy, and will give you good sound advice.

Of course you need to do the Pyramids, thats an unthinkable thing to say :lol:
Thanks for that.

It's not the travelling to Cairo from Sharm thats bothering us (we have found cheap flights through AirEgypt or Egypt air lol) it's when we get there thats frightnening us..no guide..I wouldnt like us to get lost there with 2 kids in tow! And as for the taxi thing..hubby just isnt sure about that but is there another way...coach from Cairo airport to the pyramids or something?

I really need people who have experience of this to help me please, I am panicking like mad,we go in 4 weeks.

Helen x
Well until someone steps into help you all i can do is....ask you this question, if you are panicking now over something you don't know about, why put yourselves through it :? Is there a reason why you do not like the idea of a proper tour with a guide thrown in? i know the price is especially a lot cheaper perhaps with kids in tow to do a DIY, but will you still "panic" even if taxis met you and you did it all yourself? How confident are you, only you can answer that :wink:

Cairo is very hassley, we could have got badgered all the time or would have done without a guide, getting off the ship in Port Said was a nightmare, it makes Sharm look like a playground :lol:

Good luck with all the advice :D

Michelle x
Hi there,

There are lots of people booking their own internal flights Sharm to Cairo etc now online in the UK. So cheap!!! There are other travel forums that have guide recommendations for Cairo, including pick up/drop off at airport. However, I don't think I can mention other forums here so PM me if you need some info.
It's pretty easy to "do" Cairo independently....

All you need to do is search on a number of websites to find out what the agents are charging for excursions to Pyramids, Cairo Museum etc so you have an idea on prices.

We just took a taxi (the cars are all black and white so no mistakes can be made there) from a hotel we used in central Cairo back to the airport. It was 45 mins drive away in heavy traffic and we paid LE50 (just less than £5 sterling). Apparently, LE40 is the recommended price but there were 4 of us including luggage so we were perfectly happy with that price.

You can tell the taxi driver what you want to do and where you want to go to see - then negotiate the price from there. But, a taxi driver will be more than happy to barter with you if he feels he will receive a full days pay to accompany you on your travels.

You do not pay your taxi driver until you have finished your itinerary and he will not usually ask for any payment in advance either. Although you may quickly forget what your taxi driver looks like - he will always come and seek you out as you have finished at each of your chosen sights.

Be aware - it is NOT a necessity to travel on horseback or camel to see the Pyramids - no matter what they tell you. (They usually have some "friend" who will supply the horses etc at extra cost, of course!

We have haggled for taxi's on many occasions in Cairo and have just finished our 5th holiday to Egypt - travelling totally independently, arranging flights, transfers, accommodation etc without the means of a tour operator from Cyprus. We are British but now live in Cyprus.

If you like - I can recommend a local agent based in Cairo, who will arrange everything for you upon your arrival and you will pay the price he states, rather than having to haggle yourselves? We have dealt with him previously and I would most certainly recommend him to anyone who is a little uncertain for the "first time" in Cairo.

However, if it was a choice of "Egypt" as being Sharm-el-Sheik for my holiday or seeing the "real Egypt" of Cairo and 5 thousand years of history - I know what my choice would be....

Best regards,
Cyprus100
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.