Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Hi Mark

We are going to callas de mallorca in three weeks today :hyper

This will be the fifth time to this resort and we love it. We are staying at the cala domingos which is just a bit out of the town, but I understand the romani is more central. The resort is pretty quiet and not for the nightlife lovers, but there are shops and restaurants. There are a few restaurants that put on entertainment later in the evenings when people have finished eating. ie. singers, karaoke etc.. When we were there last year in the middle of the town there was a giant blow up shark for the kids and a little amusement centre. We don't hire a car as we find everything we need in resort. Anything else you need to know just ask.

Laney
We are doing AI, Laney, but have arranged everything DIY.
We will also have the parents with us, so 4 adults, 2 kids.
Do you know of a good taxi firm to arrange airport transfer?

Most of the things we will want will be at the Romani, as kids prefer pool to beach, though we will probably venture out a few nights.

Have a good holiday, and please update on your return.

Mark
Click Here For our resort reports for Calas De Mallorca
hi ,goin to hotel samoa in calas de mallorca with wife and two wee kids in early may, any info would be great. thanks
Hi there

There are reviews for the hotel on this link

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/spain/balearic-islands/mallorca/calas-de-mallorca/samoa-hotel/

There are resort reviews on this link...my review was done on the 6/2005
so you will have to scroll down a fair bit.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/spain/balearic-islands/mallorca/calas-de-mallorca/

Here are some photos of calas de mallorca on this site

Im going to the Hotel america in August, and last visited the resort in 2005 staying at the chihuahua/Mastines hotel

My kids are now going to be 12 and 8. Resort is great for young kids.

Elaine x
We stayed at the Hotel Samoa many years ago when our children were little.
We visited again while in Majorca last week but it was closed.
The beach was just as we remembered it a large sweeping bay with good clean sand.
Lots to do in the area , much more than when we were there years ago.
It is a good family hotel and area.
One thing I would say be aware of the sea in the bay it as a habit of taking you out .
3 children and two men had to be rescued in the 2 weeks while we were staying there last . Carried away on lilos etc.
It was a long time ago but it always sticks in my mind how quickly and easily they went, just beware if you have little ones with you.
I'm sure with normal care it would be fine.
Other than that the place is great.
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7809/07090wp5.th.jpg
Ola!
We are staying in CDM in half term at end of May.
Last year we went to the Pirate show in Palma, absolutely fantastic!
We are staying at the Club Calas Romani, and have booked independantly, therefore need an English rep from another hotel to allow us to join their party.
If you go, please review for us incl prices.

Mark
I'm off to Cala De Mallorca on 1st September 2007. I'm stopping in Sol Mastines Chihuah hotel.
It's the resort I would like information on, I'm not too concerned about the hotel as long as it's average. I've heard it's a quite family place, is this true? Are there any clubs at the resort or near the resort. Me and my girlfriend are in our 20s, we wanted a quite relaxing holiday away from all the drunks in Magaluff but we would like to go to go out until the early hours a few nights we are there. I'm concerned we have gone for something too quite.
Is the Beech nice? Crowded? Does anyone know what the whethers like in September? Is there any water sports on the beech? Is there lots of bars? What's transport like to other areas on the Island? What's the food like? Is the resort expensive? Is there enough to do for 7 days?
Sorry about the amount of questions but is all could be answered by a few people it would be much appreciated because this is my first holiday abroad. Thanks!
I cant comment on the mastine\chihuahua,but we stayed in 2004\2005 in the Samoa and we were grateful for the bus stop to take us to other resorts.
The problem with the nightlife in Calas de Mallorca is that like the shopping experience,it is practically non-existant compared to even the most sedate holiday resort.
All of the nightlife(about 4 pubs) and all the restaurants,and shops are located in the same square ,and you will be able to walk round the resort centre in about 20 minutes max,other than the resort centre the entertainment is mainly hotel based with most of the hotels,with the exception of the Mastine Chihuahua are all inclusive.
What we done was jump on the bus to cala millor via porto cristo,this we did several times but the bus service only runs till late afternoon\early evening.
I would consider hiring a car if i were you as you might find yourselves feeling trapped,we certainly did.
Be careful when changing money as one of the hotels the Samoa gives a rubbish rate(1.33 when the rate was 1.41),but there is a car hire shop opposite the samoa that gives a far better rate,also dont walk on the rocks off the scenic path that gives panoramic views of the beach etc.,as the rocks are chock a block with raw sewage,and also take care if you are buying a boat trip as the steps used are deadly dangerous.
Otherwise you might be happy to lounge around the pool or laze about the beach,so have a happy summer holiday and remember one mans meat is another mans poison.
Still wouldnt touch the place with a barge pole though!
Hi Ray we stayed at the Hotel America in calas de mallorca last year and are going back this year. I went with my kids and enjoyed it although the resort centre is fairly sedate compared to other resorts I have been to. There are quite a few bars and restaurants in the resort centre and noticed a big bar called the Rock Cola near the Mastines Hotel that has Karaoke. I dont recall seeing any nightclubs tho. The beach is nice and clean and has boat trips to other resorts and pedalos for hire but no water sports. We had a relaxing holiday but if you want a lot of nightlife am not sure you will find it in calas de mallorca.
Hi again Ray there are several bar restaurants in the resort centre and a burger king. Majority of the hotels are all inclusive so I noticed that the restaurants wern't that busy even though it was peak season August when we went. Hope you enjoy yourself when you go. If you dont think its for you do you have the option to change resort? My friend booked last year to go to Cyprus and changed her booking with Thomson. Good luck.
Hi Ray

Just back from your hotel - Chihuashuas. Its a big hotel with big pool and nice views out to see. Huge bar in basement seats 400 in hotel and has nightly entertainment, but aimed at kids early on, with grown up show at 10pm. Think you'd be best going out as 5 minute walk to centre.

To answer all your question specifically....

Is the Beech nice? - very small beach on right of hotel when you come out it, but no facilities there. Best head left past Samoa and America hotel to cove beach there with a bar and shop at it.

Crowded? - no, laid back resort.

Does anyone know what the whethers like in September? - mid 20's temperature, which is like a nice day in height of summer in UK.

Is there any water sports on the beech? - not that I saw, just occassional boat trip.

Is there lots of bars? - dotted about the place, yes. Bar Azul is closest to your hotel and we ate there most lunchtimes. A 5 min walk take you to centre abd about 20 bars/restaurants dotted about the place.

What's transport like to other areas on the Island? - bus stop right outside the hotel mate! 2.05 Euros takes you wherever you want! Every 30 minutes at peak times bus comes.

What's the food like? - usual uk holiday fayre. Large buffet meals at your hotel, and we got steak and chips at Bar Azul at lunchtimes for about 11 euros (7 uk sheets).

Is the resort expensive? - no, we could not spend our money.....

Is there enough to do for 7 days? - no, we could not spend our money as not alot to do! Get the bus to Caves of Drach, then walk in to Porto Christo for lunch. Another day go to Cala Millor further North, then next day go south to Cala D'Or that has more bars and a marina.

You'll have agreat time. Don't worry!
Back from Cales de Mallorca late thurs nite 31.05.07
Had a smashing time, though had MEGA storm 1 day for 3 hours straight down like a waterfall, but that cleared air.
Had quite a breeze whole holiday, this very welcome as temps hitting 90

CDM is great for a relaxing time, but not really a base to work from.
Most places AI, we stayed in club cala romani, so spent most time there (see hotel review). Very quite out of high season, but plenty of shops bars n clubs if u dont want 2 stay in hotel

Will return 1 day as price was FANTASTIC, people were great...
no hooligans, minimal noise, less than an hour from airport..

Mark
Hi
We are off to Club Cala Romani in 6 weeks and 2 sleeps! Ive read the recent review and it sound just what we are looking for, as long as the kids are happy we are.
Would someone be able to tell me if theres a cash machine in the resort?
We have booked a private transfer with Janer bus, does anyone know roughly how long it takes from the airport, I hate long transfers you just want to get there as soon as you can.
Cheers supersox :fly
Hi supersox!
who have you booked with? flights with/from where?do you know what type of room you in?
how many kids??......if you are in the main building, request to be at the back facing pool preferably on 4th floor for quiteness.

couldnt imagine what it will be in height of season apart from very busy, remember that the Italians/Germans will be there as well (sunbeds n towels)

Would defo return. My Mrs says there are cashpoints, plus a bank in town which is only 2 mins away, but best exchange rate is for cash sterling as no commission.

Buses not bad, but consider car if want to travel extensively

We used Janerbus and they were fantastic....waiting at gate 7 for you at palma, and 15 mins early on return....also pay driver on arrival ( e-mail them 3 days before you go to confirm)
Must agree Janer bus are super and good value if you have 4 for a taxi.
There are at least 2 or 3 cash machines in Calas De Mallorca and I find it a good way of getting my Euros. I got around 1.42 to the £ and that included what ever built in charges there is.

The local bus service is great for visiting other resorts along the East coast and not expensive.

Regards

Robert
Hi
There will be 5 of us 2 adults and 3 kids, so not sure what the room is. We booked it through Travel Republic and the flights through Jet2 from Newcastle, came back a lot cheaper than travel agents saved us about £1500! The prices seem to double as soon as you hit the school holidays.
Dont mind there being mixed nationalities as long as we are not the only brits. Went to Cala Dor in October and we were the only Brits in a German hotel, we stuck out like a sore thumb! Kids didnt mind they all got on together.
Did you use the kids clubs? I was hoping it was the sort you can drop them of for an hour or so so we can have a little peace, love the kids to bit but its nice to relax and not worry about them for a little.
Cant wait 42 sleeps to go!!! :lol:
Supersox
......Give me a big YULLLLLLLLLLL!
This is the war-cry demanded by Marianne the Entertainments Manager when talking to the kids over the PA system (seems to get more response from the English & Scottish!)
The Hotel is Italian based, therefore all 'Animacion' facilities are run by them. The Kids Club was not open when we were there, but will be when you are. How old are your kids? There are pool based/court based events from 11am-5pm for the kids as well, plus mini-disco 8 til 9pm.
Everybody has a chance to win certificates or Gold medals, whoooooo!!
Are you AI or Self Catering? There are 1 and 2 bed apartments detatched from main building, or alternatively they could put you in 2 connecting rooms in the main......suggest you confirm with TravelRepublic ASAP as this could effect you when you arrive......remember no Reps to complain to if required.
Plenty of food in restaurant, so even if kids are fussy like mine, they wont go hungry. Club at night is very Butlinesque but fun, with some really good professional acts, though if you want singalong/kareoke plenty in town.

Mark
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.