Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Wow, I can't believe I found this topic. I used to spend summers in Calella in the '70s and 80s.
Cheers was my friend Eddie's pub. He died in '89, and then the pub changed name, and must have disappeared after that.
I do have some photos of '88, Star 67, but I'm not going to put them on internet, if you're still around, let me know, and we could make email contact.

It's amazing, that some pubs have survived for over 20 years. When I first came to Calella, it was Rovers Return, Rabbi Burns, Apples & Pears, Flying Horse, Red Lion, Village Inn and Nag's Head. All in the old center, none in the hotel part yet.
Alcatraz was one of the early ones there, and is celebrating 25 year anniversaty, congratulations Johnny M, if you're watching.

I do hope Calella is livening up again, it would be a shame if not.
Always was very lively, indeed like Lloret, but with a better beach.
:sun2
Dutch Phil
Hi Phil

I went back to Calella in September last year almost 20 years to the day that I left. It was quite emotional for me, as - completely by chance - I met a few people I hadn't seen for twenty years and one in particular that I never dreamed I'd see again. It seems there are a lot old faces still there.

Please PM me. I'd love to see your photos and reminisce. I have one place left where I think my Calella pics are so am going to dig them out asap!
  • Edited by luci HT Mod 2009-02-03 18:39:46
    To remove email address per T&C's. Please use PM system for contact
Hi Star,
Nice to hear from you. Hope you find your Calella pics. I have some in paper form, but most are slides. I wonder who you are, as I can't put a face to you at the moment.

I tried to send you a PM, but I can not get it done. I'm somehow blocked from sending a PM.
Hopefully you can send me one, for a more personal contact address.

@ Mods: I have no idea why I can not send a PM to anyone. I also can not find how I can switch on the possibility for sending a PM.
Can someone switch it on for me? Thanks

I also can not reach any mods directly.

Dutchfan
Yes I tried PM-ing and sending an email. Moderator what's the problem please?

I did put my email address in my last post Phil but obviously that got deleted...
Just ttried again and it say "you don't have the facility to PM"

Que problema??
Yes, this is anoying. Let's try this: I have an address at the english part of and if I put my name here, you can put it together. Then when you sent me a mail, I will edit my post. 'edited out by dutchfan. Without spaces or stripes.

I hope it stayes like this long enough for Star to send my a mail. Otherwise we'll have to meet up elsewhere. We'll get there yet!

Speak to you soon,

Dutchfan
  • Edited by Dutchfan 2009-02-05 23:49:03
I've tried every permutation of the english yah oo I can think of Phil! Even tried .com!
Give me another clue and I'll try again!

Come on moderator sort out these PM problems!!!
Hi Star,

It's simple really, just with the usual dots behind and the rest, should do it. O, now I see the problem sorry, its dutchfan first, then and My mistake, how stupid!!! :(

edited by Dutchfan
Various security measures are in place to protect all users. Some members join us specifically for the purpose of spamming others. For that reason, new members no longer have immediate access to the PM system. Personal email addresses are not permitted in posts either, because they too will be misused by spammers to hound members.

David :wave
Thanks, David, we've got it sorted now, and I've edited my details out of the post. I know about the spam problem, but I think this way it should not be too bad a risk.
It's a pity, that people can not just enjoy a forum for what it's ment for.
We understand your reasons.

Dutchfan
:hello i worked in calella many years ago 20 to b exact i worked at bobs milord i remember eddie from cheers very well and dutch phillippa we shared a flat in 79 i loved all the bars it was great i hear john and yvonne are still at alcatraz .linda g
I love calella. i go there every year for a week for the rugby , we stop in calella and get a coach to perpignan on game day , beach boys is the best pub in calella , alcatrez is ok but the owner is a right knob
I wouldn`t describe Johnny Madrid, the owner of Alcatraz as "a knob" but he does suffer from the occasional mood swing as in one dayhe`s your best mate and the next he can be quite the opposite. 90% of the time the guy is nice enough especially if you happen to support his beloved Manchester United.
The last time I was in Calella in 2009 we stayed at the Amaika, so it was convenient to visit Alcatraz. I found Jonny Madrid to be an excellent "Mine Host" mind you his bingo routine could do with a change. At the time two years ago my favourite bar "Beach Boys" was going through a lull, anyone know if has picked up ?
Mr Evans is somewhat shall we say, "capricious" and like any of us has his good days and his bad days. Personally I really admire him; he's a realist who gives the punters and ex-pats exactly what they want and has continued to run a succesful business and lifestyle in a resort which, to put it mildly, is a shadow of its 80's glory days.
These days I only visit Calella out of season so can't comment on how lively it is in the summer, but I still have friends who live there. They tell me that the biggest problem is what with most of the bigger hotels doing all-inclusive deals and Calella being the resort it is, people come for a cheap holiday and are reluctant to spend their money elsewhere.
Luckily for my friends, their jobs aren't reliant on tourism but it is a hard place to make a living these days if you're a bar / restaurant owner.
My last visit was a year ago and I took a lot of photos around the town. There are a lot more empty / derelict buildings than I remember from previous years.
Have a look here: w w w. flickr.com/photos/67348208@N00/sets/72157625333565826/
I understand that there is EU funding for regeneration and the riverbed plaza works are the first part of this, so hopefully Calella (and the rest of the Costa Brava) will be updated a bit!

If anyone is interested have a look on Facebook for the "Calella Veterans" group.
hello star i spent alot of time in calella in the 80s i must know you there was a reunion in june for the old workers i have a feeling we have a mutual friend known as dutchfan i am sure she was my flat mate in the 70s, however getting back to john madrid i think he is lovley most of the time when he is sober still i dont think i would like to work in the alcatraz.
Hello Peachy and Star,
Sorry I've been so long, I see my last post was in 2009! Computer crashed and lots happened.
Then I forgot about this forum, so now I hope that you 2 are still in contact with this board.
If you still have my address, Peachy, I am still in the same place, same phone number as well.
Yesterday I stumbled across the 30th birthday party of Alcatraz weekend 11th of may 2013.
Looks like I need to join facebook to learn more.
Would be fun to go and meet up with lots of old friends from before - don't know if I could go, maybe.
Let's see, it this link is still alive,
Greetz,
Dutchfan
As these members haven't been around for a while I've emailed them pointing to this post.
Thanks, Glynis,
That will help, I've also sent a p.m.
I'm not so used to posting on boards, so hope it will work.

Thanks,
P
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.