Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Hi coldo and welcome to HT!

You will find some information on the hotel HERE I see it has a kids club so may be more family-oriented than an 18-30s.

luci :wave
I would imagine much depends on the time of year which you're going. We stayed at the Amaika at the end of Feb last year and Calella was effectively closed for the winter! We certainly didn't see any clubs (not that we were looking for them anyway) and the usual type of tourist traps were closed.

Don't believe everything that you read about the hotel....it really is ok. Most gripes relate to the food being both repetitive and cold which applies to probably the majority of Spanish hotels. We had a good time, not lively but then again that was not the purpose of the break...we chilled for the week! The hotel guests were mainly middle-aged to elderly - very few kids or young couples. I would imagine it's a very different story in the peak season though....perhaps others can help you here.

Hope this is helpful. :wink:
BigDave

Perhaps you would like to be the first to review this hotel HERE

luci :wave
keep them coming folks.

We are going on the 14th june, for a week, beginning of the season as it were.

Anyone else like to give me some "must see/must do" 's in calella?

Three of us went to Calella in Dec, but only stopped for 3 nights. We stopped at the Amaika and found the hotel to be very good. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the rooms were big and spacious, with heating and air conditioning for the peak season. The food was very good with plenty of choice, although it could have done with being warmer. There are 7 of us going back for a week on 15th Feb to same hotel, so will post a full review on my return.
Getting a bit closer.

anymore input? especially looking for info on the clubs/pubs 8) :lol:
Hey hey i went to Calella last year, july time and the nightlife is gooood!!!

The nightlife starts getting good at about 12 until

To start the night off we would always start at the white horse fun pub the staff in there are well funny, and the drink is cheap too!!That pubs open from 7.30 till 02.00 so we would leave at about 10 then go to grand cafe because it was happy hour between 9 and 11 so all drinks are buy one get one free. Then we use to go to Turisme 35 with all the staff from the white horse at 2.30 - 03.00 and then come home at about 6 in the morning earliest.

All list a few clubs that are worth going to

Turisme 35 - Has good music, diff theme nights, cheap drink, open late

Menfis - Good foam partys - open late

Maui- a good club/bar to start the night off, oh its a cocktail bar. Its soo pretty like oh my god they have real turtles in there water feature!!

Avenue - Biggest club in Calella - on 3 levels -open till 05.00

The Tunnel - Good if you like hip hop music and i doooo!!!

Caribean Fever - Realy good foam partys - good cheap drink - open till 07

La Salsa - Is the classic cheesy club with all the 70's and 80's hits lol its a laugh there

Hollywood Cafe - Is a good place to start the night off as it is only open until 3am not unless you dont like stayin out late!!!???

Kavai - Another cocktail bar not better than Maui!!

These are all the places i went to and they where all good!!! Although i reccomend starting at the white horse fun pub - Grand Cafe at 11 - Maui at 12 - Turisme @2 then home when it finishes!!!

As for the ratio guys to gurls when i was there it was about

10:5
Guys Gals

Oh yeah and another little tip McDonalds is open until 4am lol!! So its great for when you come out of the white horse and are walking to turisme stop in and have some munchies lol!!

anyway you'l totaly love it, and could you do me a favour go to the white horse and see if andy aka Betty, Rob and Disco still work there thankz xxxx

Kayleigh xxxx

IF you need anymore help you can send me an email if you want its

*Edit to restore normal font, remove email address and remove text style words. Pippy*
mmmmmmm is calella a bit like lloret?
I cannot believe there is a post on nightlfe in Callella and no one has mentioned the Beach Boys Club. It is the best Karaoke / Disco / Fun pub that I have ever visited.
what about papas bar is that still open :lol:
Where exactly is beach boys , and how is papa's bar doing these days we haven't been in there for a few years , walked past last year and i think i saw that he had opend a night club downstairs i think it was , maybe if we end up in calella we will pop in
Wow, I went to Calella 4 times during the late 80s and early 90s and its amazing to hear that places like the white horse, papas bar and the beach boys club are still there!

During my visits there, I stayed at the Olympic hotel, Espana Hotel, Concorde Apartments and big blue hotel near the beach who's name I've now forgotten.

We had some amazing holidays there - I loved the place!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone remember Justin the Tranny on roller skates downstairs in Papas? Classic! :D
yes papas bar is still open,mainly the same.
still have a good laugh in there, and the food is very good.beach boys is just around the corner from papas,(opp the dutch bar on the st below) but it has moved from a couple of years ago
angelica
We stayed in Calella two weeks ago, it was five years since we were last there. We thoroughly enjoyed the holiday which were vere very much enhanced by the Karaoke nights in the Beach Boys, Flat Cap Fil is a very funny compare,
Sorry, that should read compere, I will have to stop posting replies after a few glasses of wine. Back to the Beach Boys Club, my family and I thoroughly enjoyed the place, after five years since we were last there I thought it may have gone off, but no it was very enjoyable.

We stopped in the Olympic Hotel it was OK, food was brilliant which is unusual, there are four pools, but the entertainment was'nt up to much. The problem with stopping all inclusive is that you tend to hog the free bar. We spent a couple of nights in the Callella Palace, much nicer decor, being "H" top, we could use our all inclusive cards in a number of hotels and we did.

Alcatraz was also a pub we used, talk about a lot going on, they were screening five live football matches, serving meals, selling football cards and playing killer pool at the same time, this is followed by karaoke. The owner a Man U fan has some exceptional banter.
Can't believe I found this thread about Calella!

I worked out there in various bars during the summer of 1988. Does anyone remember a bar called Cheers. It was just around the corner from Papas Bar and the Bon Repos Hotel. That was where I worked for most of the season, after I left the White Horse. Our great rivals were the blokes in The Beach Boys and we all used to try our hardest to nick customers out of each others bars!

It was one of the best times of my life and I'm going back there this year, 20 years on, to see what it's like now.
Yes, I remember Cheers! You were probably working there then when I visited the place as I was definately there in 1988 with (a now) ex-girlfriend and we went in there a lot!

Happy days.
Cheers closed in the early nineties I think because it was called Molly Malones when I went back there for the first time since 1988 in 1995. Beach Boys was the best place to go by miles but it might have changed somewhat as I haven`t been to Calella since 2003. I used to love the place, i was my second home, but the resort started to decline rapidly as in the numbers of tourists from 2001 and was like a ghost town during my last holiday there in 2003. I sincerely hope it has picked up since as I have a lot of people who became friends during my many holidays there working in Calella and they deserve it to be a sucessful resort.
wow this brings back the good old days whent in 1987or 88 and i think all the bars have changed. when i was there we met a great bunch of lads from wigan and hull great fun pubs we used to go two was cheers,chaplins.red lion,tropical,and a good pub we used to start of at was rabbie burns. thats were we met gary liniker and mark hughes when they played for barcalona stayed at the espana hotel on the front what a laugh with pete from portsmouth we used to sit on the beach late at night with jugs of sangria o great fun nice one eric tait ha ha ha ;) ;) ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.