Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Here's the link to Shirely's trip report, sounds like she went DIY - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=80918&highlight=cambodia
sue , no problem answering your questions , we only stayed in Cambodia for 4 nights as we did a side trip which I arranged myself (we had booked for Bangkok / Ko Samui and left a few days 'free' so I could slot in my own trip to Cambodia , I booked my flight with opodo and the hotel through Travelbag.
It was a great experience, we only stayed in Siem Reap but would love to see a lot more of Cambodia.
The food was great, there is lovely vietnamese type food and lots of good quality restaurants where they serve french, pizza , steak etc.
Pricewise a little more than Goa but not much.
Don't drink wine (can't take it makes me suffer the next day) but I am quite sure there was wine on the menus although wouldn't know prices.
Beer - Angkor beer is the brew and it is very good , they also offer tiger beer.
A lovely country with the most beautiful people - would go back in a shot, hope this helps , shirleyv
Cambodia is a great country but still suffers from the problems of many years ago.

Angkor Wat is amazing and worth spending 3 days there, the near by town is Siem Reap, which is ok, quite touristy, just remember to watch your personal safety at night.

Phnom Penh is a crazy city, you need to be very careful where you stay. The city if fine during the day and you can walk around, but at night, you need to take a taxi.

The roads between the cities are horrendous, if you can afford to fly do it. Otherwise take the boat, its long and hot, but you get to see the countryside.
Hi we are going to thailand again next year taking in koh samui, and hua hin and was wondering about doing a two day trip to angkar wat in cambodia. Is it cheaper and easier to book once out there or do you think we should organise it here before we go?
Are you thinking of or two days/two nights . If you are flying from Thailand your flights will take up the best part of a day which won't leave you much time to see everything. Angkor Wat covers a huge area and there are other things to see. I would say 3 nights is the minimum time needed possibly 4.
We had a week in Cambodia before moving onto Vietnam during a RTW trip last year.

Avoid Phnom Penh. Sleazy and manic, those two words sum it up a treat and the tourist attractions really aren't the type you want to be seeing for an uplifting holiday. Think Pol Pot.

Siem Reap is far better and 3 nights would be a good start. The temples of Angkor are really spectacular and there is so much to do in that area, and other areas of temples close by. Just try not to get templed out, very easy to do in Cambodia/Vietnam, especially in that heat.

We actually did the long 10hour drive from Bangkok to Siem Reap. Now I can't really recommend it because it was truly awful, but if you really want to appreciate the difference between Thailand and Cambodia this is the way to do it. You get tarmac roads & service stations in Thailand, and potholes and broken bridges in Cambodia. The contrast is immense.

We did a tour with Intrepid and they were very good. It involved 18 nights, basically starting in Bangkok and ending in Hanoi (Vietnam). It was amazing.

As for food costs, well the US Dollar rules in Cambodia so make sure you have plenty of that and also some Cambodian money (Riels?) for smaller purchases. Food was very similar to most south east Asia countries although the Beef Lam Lok was particulrly good and is a Cambodian dish.
I'm guessing we were spending about $4 on a decent meal, maybe a tad less. Beer was great and very cheap. If you get the chance to sample Beer Hoi in Vietnam that will cost you about 10p a pint.

Ask away if you have other questions. One thing that shines through in Cambodia is the friendliness of the locals, great people who have suffered some horrific recent history.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.