Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
hi homer....thanks for the info....I phoned siesta in england as am booked with them....I was told that you could hire a car through the reception but had no details.....they also said they dont do trips. to port adventura as its too far over 2 1/2 hrs away......I had sent an email to the site itself...they replied saying.....quote "

Concerning to your e-mail, we regret to inform you that we still do not have the information about the trips in high season.As you might know, the excursions are booked at the reception desk.

The travel agency will let us know in a couple of weeks all the information about trips and prices in high season. Until then, we feel sorry we cannot give you any information. ...unquote

So maybe there is a chance in high season via reception ....could you give me an idea of how much for the day or the week it costs to hire a car....tweetie

ps they are also talking about hiring a 6 seater
Hey tweetie,
I had a rumage around in a box where we keep all our old holiday stuff (like a memory box!!!!) found an old price list from one of the times we rented a car. prices on it for a 7 seater car are around 90 Euros a day for 1-2 days or 80 Euros for 3-6 days and 70 Euros for 7-13 days.
When we went we hired a 9 seater microbus it was a renault, size of a transit van, it was cheaper at 75 Euros per day for 1-2 days, 60 Euros for 3-6 days and 54 Euros for 7-13 days. you need to pay by credit card only, be over 24 and like here there are Insurance charges (not to bad), and you pay for any fines or punctures.
We had the 9 seater for 2 days, as it was 2 family's so we halved the cost, so worked out well.
Was getting all excited looking in the box as all the memories were flooding back :sun2

hope this helps, David :tup
hi David ...thanks for that...Im passing it all on to our friend....he has the experience of driving abroad....I have always been too much of a worrier and too good on the buses...so never considered hiring a car.. :think maybe we will go halves and it will be a new experience for us...tweetie
no problem at all tweetie... the roads in that part of Spain are really good to drive on and well signposted, I drove into Barcelona last year, had the Sat Nav with us (which helped)!!! :)

Hope you all have a great time, My Sister in law is going with her family in 4 weeks, sooooo jealous...
hi David....weve got a sat nav but never used it...bought it about 3yrs ago as we were planning on taking caravan away but never did in the end....its still in the box...lad in shop did something about setting it up before we left the shop....hope it doesnt need a password as I wont have a clue what it was now....so will get it out and have a go....will be handy to take away if we hire a car....tweetie
Hi there, off to la siesta in a few weeks with siesta holidays anyone been there ? recommend any nice restaurants ,bars also any good supermarkets nearby? what is the camp like ?
Hi, we are off in a few weeks too - mid-August, with Siesta Holidays. This will be our third holiday in Calella, we love it - the first two times we stayed in a hotel, the last time we stayed at La Siesta and had a great holiday. Things may have changed since we last went 2 years ago but we found a lot of the restaurants really overpriced for the quality you got. Our best meal was at Chez Tomas in Llafranc - it really stood out amongst the others we tried. We also had a good meal at the Hotel Alga just at the entrance to the campsite. I have received a recommendation for Restaurant Albo which I believe is out of the campsite, turn right and walk along the main road(ish) although whether its good I cant say. Also the Hotel Llevant in Llafranc and Fiego in Calella are supposed to be good.
Supermarkets - the best we found was in the town before Palafrugell called Bisbal d'Emporda but there is one in Palafrugell too. Are you driving?
The campsite is great and I believe the Siesta mobile homes are in a good position. Last time we went with Canvas and our mobile was in a great spot, near the Siesta ones. There is a nice atmosphere there although it does yet quite busy around the pool - we saw a fight break out between two woman arguing over a sunbed!!!
The restaurant is ok - standard holidayfood, spag bol, bugers, chops and chips, salads etc - nothing brilliant but quality OK and nothing wrong with it if your pooped from being in the sun all day and want a cold beer and a bite to eat! This year we are going to BBQ most nights because we are broke so it doesnt matter anyway!
Im sure there are people who know a lot more than me. Have a great holiday - its so exciting isnt it! I am nearly packed already!
Mandy
:wave: hi mandy thanks for the reply we go 31st aug lookin forward to it i will bear those recommendations in mind been away with siesta 3 times now would recommend la masia in blanes campsite is spotless even washing facilities for camping was spotless , have a great holiday maria xx
You too Maria. We are leaving there on 4 Sep so may bump into you :cheers

This is going to be our last holiday for a few years so hope the weathers good!

Mandy xx
:tup i hope the weathers good aswell when we went to blanes last year 15 sept the weather was awful as was the previous year in estarit was very dissapointed my daughter went before us on 8 th sept last year she had great weather went bad when she went home booo sayin that the siesta reps had films we could rent which whiled away a rainy afternoon ,any little spanish bars ie not english rowdy ones usually if the locals frequent the tapas is usually good we found one in estartit called tonis had brill tapas and a friendly apmoshere , wheres your pick up point? where about in the uk are you from we are from north wales an being picked up from manchester airport
We live in France, right up the north by St Malo, so we will be driving down ourselves. At least we can bring all our bits and bobs in the car and will bring DVDs etc just in case. Also, most importantly, plenty of DS games for our 8 year old!

Each time we have been before its always the last 2 weeks in August and we have had great weather so fingers crossed! Its not the end of the world is it and sometimes a bit of rain makes you relax even more as you tend to get cozy and eat and drink and relax even more!
hi ....I think I will see you both .....how nice ...am looking forward to saying hello...last time there was someone else going it was mad carravaner....turned out he was going home the same time we arrived...we crossed in the car park....but the reps were rushing off taking everyone to our part of site and I didnt have time to have a proper look for him....

Ive always used the big supermarket accross the road from the kiddies funfare....if you walk up the road from the main entrance at the site its set back in the first lot of shops you come to.....d'Emporda rings a bell ...but not sure we are on about same one....it was a really good supermarket...I liked to walk there in the mornings and stock up...I like walking but its just a short hop on the bus...if Im tired I jump the bus back.......and I buy fruit ect on a sunday from the market in palafrugel....if you like fish there is a covered market too sells fish and seafood just to side of main market....the site supermarket is good for a lot of stuff too....and the bakery is a bonus but you need go in the morning as they sell out of some things...there is a resturant on the beach front does a good sea food platter....but cant remember the name of it....it has a big canopied area and you look out onto the beach...

We dont eat out a lot ...prefere cooking my own...and with such a good supermarket so close it saves a lot of money......cant remember if all the vans have BBQ's...but we get the delux 8 and there is a big gas barbie on the patio....so we use it a lot.

Ive found taking a few bits to start you off helps...here is a little list of what I take.

Teabags....can be expensive as locals dont buy them

Coffee.....decant a jar into a plastic container and secure it shut with cling film...Ive found it expensive

Small bag of sugar if you take it....nice to be able to brew up soon as you get in your van

Plastic jar or box of coffee whitner and some dried milk...again so you can get a quick brew and milk goes off quick so handy if you run out.

Cereal...take your childrens favorite in a plastic container with cling film round it so it dont get crushed....its expensive and often stale....and if you have a fussy child you might not be able to buy the one they like...its light to take and you will have enough shopping in the first few days without carting boxes of bulky cereal as well...

Biscuits....expensive and not the same type as we have ...and handy for with your first brew...and keep kids happy while you unpack and get organised...

Sweets.....I take bags of the favorites

Double strength friut squash....if room in hand luggage take a few bottles....just bottled water needed then which you can buy in huge bottles needed to keep thirsty kids happy for the first few days...they didnt seem to sell it when Ive been and what they had was expensive.....take some water out of the big bottle and replace it with the fruit squash ...then put in fridge ....I keep 2 in fridge ...one being used and one cooling down

A soft cool bag....handy for keeping butties chocolate and some juice cool on coach...freeze the juice before hand ....then it can be used to bring back lollyices ect from supermarket...where you can buy big boxes cheap and keep in freezer in van.....

Lollyice moulds....if your taking squash ...handy for making cheap lollies for the little ones....some dont eat so well in the heat and you can make them out of milk shake as well....can take nesquick powder if your children like it.....you can use colour free ect stuff if your children are affected by them....you can use yogart too...

I take tomatoe sauce, brown sauce, mayo, as my lot only like certain ones and they dont like heinze....which is what I usually can find....I take a big tub of marge...which I freeze put in a plastic food container , then wrap in cling film , to start me off and mine dont really like the marge you can buy,as locals dont use it on thier bread it is expensive compered to home and in little tubs....and I take bacon the same way.....I take a few tins of tuna and a bag of grated cheese (frozen like the marge)....so all I need do is buy some bread batons on the way past from the coach ...and everyone gets fed soon as we get in the van.

I put a few toilet rolls in each case... and a kitchen roll...

I take a bottle of concentrated washing up liquid....the one you can buy is like water and you need half a bottle to get some suds...and its not cheap....its handy for cleaning up the van too...but tape it well shut and wrap in cling film ....I take a few cloths I can use for washing up and wiping down as well...and scouring pads for pans and BBQ...

Seems a lot but spread through 4 cases doesnt take up a lot of space or weight....and it makes things easier when you get there.....tweetie

ps....buy the big bottles of sanmigel from the big supermarket...helps out if you enjoy a larger
Hey all, my sister in law is just back from 3 weeks in la siesta. first 2 weeks was glorious sunshine, the 3rd week was bit overcast but still warm. she stayed with Keycamp. a few changes again onsite compared with when we all went last year, nothing major, just a re-org of some of areas. she told us a new big Lidl supermarket has opened right beside the bus station in Palafrugel and only 1.45 euro for the bus. they got lots of butcher meat there, cheaper and lots more meat in the packaging than you get from the onsite shop. they went a couple of times and just BBQ etc.. A good resturant to go to is Leon's in Llafranc, very reasonable and very tastey food, well worth a vist!!!

Hope this helps, David.

P.S. Hope you all have a great time and post comment's please on your return, to give marks out of 10... :)
I am also just back from 2 weeks at La Siesta and had a brilliant time. As said above there were a few overcast and cooler days in the second week but we certainly had lots of hot and sunny days too. The area is absolutely beautiful and we enjoyed walking the coastal paths where the views are stunning.
I totally agree with the comment above about the food being overpriced and not always the best quality...wish I had seen these recommendations before we went!
The site itself is lovely and clean with a good supermarket and great bakery - they bake all day so you can usually get lovely warm bread in the evening too. The supermarket and bakery are open until 9pm.
I would recommend taking a trip in the little road train. It runs from Calella up to the gardens at Cap Roig during the day and then up to the lighthouse above Llafranc in the evening- the views are incredible and it only costs 3/4 Euros.
There are lots of great little beaches to choose from too - Le Golfet is beautiful and a lovely walk to get there (the little Train also stops there on the way to Cap Roig). We also enjoyed the beach at Llafranc and my boys really enjoyed snorkelling around the rocks there. I am sure you will have a great time!
hi every one.....didnt know about the road train going to light house ect....something we will definately do this time....and the lads only got as far as palafrugels beach for a snorkle....so llfranc beach will be a change....will check out the lidl supermarket too this time.....so thanks for the updates....tweetie
Hi folks, just a quickie question about Siesta Holidays lodges .... what are the pillows and blankets like? Are they nice and clean? If there is one thing I cant stand on holiday its smelly greasy pillows and blankets! Am packing pillow cases and sheets, probably wont need the blanket but you never know!

Thanks
Abbaye :cheers
Our bedding was very clean - didn't use the blankets - hopefully you won't need them either!
Hi guys, have been looking at La Siesta, not been now for 10 years love the place, look at the webcam every day, because of joint pain not chanced the coach although would love to go back, actually thinking of sept, was looking at flying but the flights and more so the tranfers would turn out really expensive, never been with siesta but am tempted, was wondering why siesta takes so long to get there, is there more stops as now it seems an early pick up at manchester airport going via tunnel which i thought was quicker and still arriving the same time as when we went with redcrest when we did not get picked up till lunchtime, but then i see this video which is showing all the little coves we loved and think it would be worth it lol, a little taster for those who have not seen it, just look under the webcam for the video link for palafrugell

http://www.tamariu.eu/webcam.php
hi rosiepeardrop...get on the glusomine tablets like I do and go for it.....I have wear and tear arthritis in hips knees feet and here there and everywhere....and I manage it...its a shame if you dont as you really are missing out and you know you wont get it out of your system till you do it....XXXXtweetie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.